Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Which intake is best?
CAI inc w/ADM scoop 75 64.10%
Vararam 42 35.90%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
I am curious why you did not ask about our race intake?

Is it the Jannetty Test of other intakes using our scoop?

You can answer in private
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
It was between the Vararam and the CAI for me. Went with the Vararam first as they have the 100% satisfaction money back guarantee. If I didn't love it, I was going to send it back and get a CAI. Tried it and can't give it up.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
MaRoFreK

Drives: IOM 1SS w/factory Hurst
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
I am curious why you did not ask about our race intake?

Is it the Jannetty Test of other intakes using our scoop?

You can answer in private
I have been seeing a bunch of people with the CAI inc w/ Your race scoop and I knew the Vararam was well liked. . . I honestly didn't even think about it. But, I will definatly do the research on it and would love some info on it from you guys.

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
MaRoFreK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #18
FTI-EDC
The stick man

Drives: 2004 GTO - C5 'vert - SRX
You should add one more to your list. New Era Performance Parts

From their site:

On our completely stock 2010 Camaro SS (automatic) from simply bolting on the New Era OTR air intake system, we gained 22rwhp and 24lb/ft rwtq. With the addition of a custom PCM tune on this particular car, we were able to gain an additional 8rwhp and 4lb/ft rwtq for an overall gain of 30rwhp and 28lb/ft rwtq!

Does not require PCM tune or any additional parts. Fully compatible with stock calibration. Install it directly on a stock OR modified car!

K&N air filter

Highly-Skilled hand TIG-welding

304 Stainless-steel hardware

4-ply high-temp black silicone couplers

High-quality stainless-steel liner back screw clamps

New Era billet aluminum MAF flange

Laser cut filter frame, and air box

Polished mandrel bent aluminum tubing

Currently available in the following finishes:

Matte Black Powder Coat

Gun-Metal Powder Coat

Raw Aluminum Finish (ideal if you seek a custom finish)

Approximately 1/2 hour to install, includes installation instructions.

100% Made in the U.S.A

Works well at the track too with the shop car in the 11.40's naturally aspirated.

PONY WARS

FTI-EDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #19
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
You need to PM one of the guys on here that has run both intakes, to find out what they liked/disliked about each.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #20
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTI-EDC View Post
You should add one more to your list. New Era Performance Parts

From their site:

On our completely stock 2010 Camaro SS (automatic) from simply bolting on the New Era OTR air intake system, we gained 22rwhp and 24lb/ft rwtq. With the addition of a custom PCM tune on this particular car, we were able to gain an additional 8rwhp and 4lb/ft rwtq for an overall gain of 30rwhp and 28lb/ft rwtq!

Does not require PCM tune or any additional parts. Fully compatible with stock calibration. Install it directly on a stock OR modified car!

K&N air filter

Highly-Skilled hand TIG-welding

304 Stainless-steel hardware

4-ply high-temp black silicone couplers

High-quality stainless-steel liner back screw clamps

New Era billet aluminum MAF flange

Laser cut filter frame, and air box

Polished mandrel bent aluminum tubing

Currently available in the following finishes:

Matte Black Powder Coat

Gun-Metal Powder Coat

Raw Aluminum Finish (ideal if you seek a custom finish)

Approximately 1/2 hour to install, includes installation instructions.

100% Made in the U.S.A

Works well at the track too with the shop car in the 11.40's naturally aspirated.

Unless they've revised their design to improve drivablility you will need to tune! I had an early New Era unit and returned it due to surging. I think they redesigned the MAF position but I'm not sure. These are great OTR's if you tune but a little more pricey than the VR! Oh, and I put very LITTLE faith in ANY manufacturers claims of HP gain!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #21
FTI-EDC
The stick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Unless they've revised their design to improve drivablility you will need to tune! I had an early New Era unit and returned it due to surging. I think they redesigned the MAF position but I'm not sure. These are great OTR's if you tune but a little more pricey than the VR! Oh, and I put very LITTLE faith in ANY manufacturers claims of HP gain!
So you put all those mods you note in your signature and didn't have to tune it?

Dayum -

PONY WARS

Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #22
MaRoFreK

Drives: IOM 1SS w/factory Hurst
Well I if I could add 2 more I need to add the ADM and the New Era... Man this is hard.. FTI-EDC do you need a tune with this intake?

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
MaRoFreK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #23
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
You need to PM one of the guys on here that has run both intakes, to find out what they liked/disliked about each.
I wonder, who do we know that's tried them both...
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I voted Vararam because I believe in the ram air design for best performance. CAI is probably the best cold air box intake out there for Camaro right now.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #25
hollywood21639

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
I have the cai and noticed instantly all throttle response lag was gone and brought out the tone of my cat back even more. Fit was perfect and added a great look under the hood. I weighed the vara. Intake against the cai but others complaints about fit and quality problems made up my mind. Even if they do warranty the product I don't want something of inferior quality regardless of warranty or performance gains.
hollywood21639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #26
FTI-EDC
The stick man

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRoFreK View Post
Well I if I could add 2 more I need to add the ADM and the New Era... Man this is hard.. FTI-EDC do you need a tune with this intake?
With all of the changes you are planning, your project will need some tuning anyway so it's kind of a moot point with the tune or no tune using an *over the radiator* style intake system. We all know picking up fresh air, away from the engine compartment is best. Hence ADM's scoop option and why they work. That's where the NEP system shines.

Best to make a call to Mike at New Era and he will answer all your questions and give you the straight info as to why grabbing air from the front of the car is so much better.

For reference, ask any late model GTO guy with a Svede OTRCAI what the results were when they swapped out the old fashioned elbow style to a straight shot one.

Too bad the Camaro has that damned radiator cap in the way though.

PONY WARS

Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
With the Vararam you don't need a scoop cause it picks up air over top of rad behind grill. Pumpkin run's 12:30 and 40's with ARH LT's, Vararam, DR's and no tune.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #28
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
I took a long time to make a decision between the Cold Air Inductions unit with the ADM performance scoop and the Vararam. Went with the Cold Air Inductions and ADM scoop based on the following:

1. No comparison in build quality between the two. Cold Air Inductions unit IMHO is hands down far better than the Vararam, and this is not based on the old Vararam units. The quality of the materials used on the CAI unit is the best out there.

2. For whatever reasons I could not find any credible independent test results for the Vararam except those from vendors or their customers.

I might have leaned more towards the Vararam if the ADM scoop was not available for the CAI unit because, without the scoop, the spread in performance improvement is much greater in favor of the Vararam. With the ADM scoop, for someone like me who has no interest in taking my car to the track, the CAI unit affords a nice combination of a great underhood look and excellent performance. Like everything with our cars, I don't always think that there is a definitive "best" that suits everyone with many of the mods available. It really comes down to what works "best" for each individual car owner.
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Z/TA Rear Spoiler|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote