Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Noise from the front shocks?

I've noticed that when I go over bumps in the road I can sometimes hear a squish sound that I think may be the sound of a shock compressing. I only hear it at low speeds w/ windows open since the sound isnt very loud.

Is it normal to hear that on these cars? I do also sometimes hear a 'clunk' but I think there is a long thread about that issue.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
I've noticed that when I go over bumps in the road I can sometimes hear a squish sound that I think may be the sound of a shock compressing. I only hear it at low speeds w/ windows open since the sound isnt very loud.

Is it normal to hear that on these cars? I do also sometimes hear a 'clunk' but I think there is a long thread about that issue.
Yes sir. That hydraulic 'squish' is completely normal. You are correct about the clunk and a long thread. There is a process to get rid of that annoying clunk buried in there. Now you won't have to search for it.

Camaro Front End Noise Correction

Inspection -- Determine if the upper spring insulator is black rubber or beige urethane.

Inspection -- If it is black rubber and partially displaced, replace it with the updated steel and urethane insulator.

Inspection -- Is there any damage to any of the front end components?

Inspection -- If available test drive with chassis ears in place to identify the source. Tighten the appropriate bolts. If chassis ears are not available complete the 9 Steps listed here.

1. With the weight of the car on the wheels, remove the strut retaining nut and plate.
2. Burp the exposed strut assembly nut tight with the biggest baddest air gun in the shop. TQ is the key. We need a sudden acceleration of the nut to make it tight. That is why the big gun is used. DO NOT HAMMER THE NUTS WITH THE GUN. BURP THEM.
3. Reinstall the strut retaining plate and strut retaining nut. Tighten with the same over kill air gun for the same reasons.
4. Hit the strut clevis bolts with the same gun.
5. Hit the endlink nuts with the same gun. Don't do it by hand. Accelerate them down with TQ.
6. Get a wrench on all three ball joint nuts per side. Make them mechanic tight.
7. Crank down the radius arm nut and bolt to the same standard. Mechanic tight.
8. Get a socket on the sway bar strap nuts and make them mechanic tight.
9. Hit all four steering rack bolts and make them mechanic tight.

The 5th Gen Camaro is a ZETA II front end. We have seen issues with the G8 in the USA and the Commodore in AU. Chevrolet addressed those issues with larger more robust ball joints and studs. Pontiac has addressed them with a TSB to replace the LCA and Radius Arms. There is NO issue with those components on the Camaro. Replacing the arms on G8s does not eliminate all the noises because there were additional sources. Those sources are what appear to be tight to spec nuts on ball joints, endlinks, steering rack mounts, clevis bolts and strut mounting hardware. (The Camaro strut mount is different from the G8, but similar in that it has two nuts one below and one above the strut retaining plate). Tightening the nuts is the key to resolving front end noises.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Yes sir. That hydraulic 'squish' is completely normal. You are correct about the clunk and a long thread. There is a process to get rid of that annoying clunk buried in there. Now you won't have to search for it.

Camaro Front End Noise Correction

Inspection -- Determine if the upper spring insulator is black rubber or beige urethane.

Inspection -- If it is black rubber and partially displaced, replace it with the updated steel and urethane insulator.

Inspection -- Is there any damage to any of the front end components?

Inspection -- If available test drive with chassis ears in place to identify the source. Tighten the appropriate bolts. If chassis ears are not available complete the 9 Steps listed here.

1. With the weight of the car on the wheels, remove the strut retaining nut and plate.
2. Burp the exposed strut assembly nut tight with the biggest baddest air gun in the shop. TQ is the key. We need a sudden acceleration of the nut to make it tight. That is why the big gun is used. DO NOT HAMMER THE NUTS WITH THE GUN. BURP THEM.
3. Reinstall the strut retaining plate and strut retaining nut. Tighten with the same over kill air gun for the same reasons.
4. Hit the strut clevis bolts with the same gun.
5. Hit the endlink nuts with the same gun. Don't do it by hand. Accelerate them down with TQ.
6. Get a wrench on all three ball joint nuts per side. Make them mechanic tight.
7. Crank down the radius arm nut and bolt to the same standard. Mechanic tight.
8. Get a socket on the sway bar strap nuts and make them mechanic tight.
9. Hit all four steering rack bolts and make them mechanic tight.

The 5th Gen Camaro is a ZETA II front end. We have seen issues with the G8 in the USA and the Commodore in AU. Chevrolet addressed those issues with larger more robust ball joints and studs. Pontiac has addressed them with a TSB to replace the LCA and Radius Arms. There is NO issue with those components on the Camaro. Replacing the arms on G8s does not eliminate all the noises because there were additional sources. Those sources are what appear to be tight to spec nuts on ball joints, endlinks, steering rack mounts, clevis bolts and strut mounting hardware. (The Camaro strut mount is different from the G8, but similar in that it has two nuts one below and one above the strut retaining plate). Tightening the nuts is the key to resolving front end noises.
Did they upgrade the rears to the urethane insulator as well?
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Did they upgrade the rears to the urethane insulator as well?
No sir. There has been no change in the rear strut assembly.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote