Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #15
TankMorph
More Human Than Human

Drives: 2011 1LT IOM M6
If I still have the car when the motor kicks, I'll definitely be dropping in a V8 of some sort. Maybe by that time, full electric will be the way to go. Who knows?
TankMorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Cause the end of the world, put a mustang engine in it.

Or wait until the engine craps out, put a new DI V8 with a dual clutch transmission.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #17
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Cause the end of the world, put a mustang engine in it.

Or wait until the engine craps out, put a new DI V8 with a dual clutch transmission.
^^^This^^^
Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
OP. What crate motor are you looking at? Are you considering upgrading brakes or suspension to go with it? I'd think springs for the added weight would be a must. What added cost will there be like electronic, components, are the rear end gears the same or will they work? Transmission? Is the V8 radiator bigger than what you currently have? Is this just for a challenge to say you've done it? Did you not buy the V8 because of the mailslot?
How much more would the crate engine weight than say an LS3 or L99? The SS doesn't seem to weigh much more than an LLT equipped car so I'm not sure it would be as big an issue as other things like the ECU.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
I see your point but really that is your judgement that it makes no sense at all. It may make perfect sense to someone else because they are looking for different things.

Personally I think it would be really cool to have a built 5.3 or 5.7 motor shoe-horned into an LS body with steel rims, 3 1/2 inch exhaust and all in refrigerator white. Didju guys know the 3.6 liter DOHC motors cost almost 8k brand new?

I love the lower part of the SS nose clip it looks nice and aggressive but the non functional mail slot is kinda hokey IMO. If it served some sort of performance purpose that would be one thing but right now it's just a place to put a knight rider light in.
I should have clarified that it doesn't make good fiscal sense.....you're right people are free to do what they please with their cars. However, most of us all work within a budget when it comes to our cars, and at the end of the day the expense of swapping a V6 to a V8 just isn't a sound fiscal choice.

I agree with you on dropping a wicked 8 into an LS body...GM does too, which is why they rolled out the "body in white" program.

The mailslot is a cosmetic way to quickly ID the V8 to the general public....I'm not wild about it, but I do get why they do things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
How much more would the crate engine weight than say an LS3 or L99? The SS doesn't seem to weigh much more than an LLT equipped car so I'm not sure it would be as big an issue as other things like the ECU.
I'm not sure on the total weights, but you can bet it's more. Keep in mind that GM engineered all the support systems ( cooling, braking, suspension geometry, ride height, alignment, spring rate, shocks, etc, etc ) around the V6 platform. To truly do it right, now you have to swap over all those parts plus the ecm, electronics and harnesses. This is why it just doesn't make sense....it's way cheaper to just trade up to the V8.

Back in the day, you yanked the 6....dropped in the 8...hooke dup the battery and starter and away you went. Not the case anymore!
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #20
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
You CAN do it but it wont be financially reasonable to do for probably another 20 years give or take 5 years.

If you really wanted a strong V8 motor swap you should have even bought a new car, it would be better to put something much older and turn it into a beast.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
I'm not sure on the total weights, but you can bet it's more. Keep in mind that GM engineered all the support systems ( cooling, braking, suspension geometry, ride height, alignment, spring rate, shocks, etc, etc ) around the V6 platform. To truly do it right, now you have to swap over all those parts plus the ecm, electronics and harnesses. This is why it just doesn't make sense....it's way cheaper to just trade up to the V8.
Well, here's my logic. The lowest curb weight for the V6 is 3,741 lbs (LT) and the highest is 3,780 (LS). In contrast the SS is 3,860 lbs. That is maximum difference of 119 lbs. That includes the heavier engine, transmission, differential, suspension parts, brakes. Worse case scenario it is 3.1% increase in weight and MUCH less than the weight of a passanger. This is well within most normal engineering margins of acceptable error. If the SS can be upgraded to a crate engine without replacing all those parts, why can't the V6? It may not handle and brake quite as well as a SS, but that increase in weight won't be a deal breaker. The computer stuff is where it gets difficult. You either have to replace the ECU and TCU, or you have to run a piggyback to let the "trick" the current computers to manage the V8.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #22
Infernoo

Drives: '11 IOM 2LT/RS
If my engine blows I'll drop a Zetec 2.0L in it and put SS badges all over it just because I can. :P j/k j/k

On a serious note, to answer your question "is it a big deal?", right now? money wise? Yes.

But further "down the road" (as you have already implied was your thinking in your original post), dropping a v8 might not be as expensive in say 10-15 years from now when there are a bunch of wrecked ones in the junk yard for you to pick through.

Quote:
You CAN do it but it wont be financially reasonable to do for probably another 20 years give or take 5 years.
Correct, and if you read his original post he stated exactly that. "Further down the road." But I think 20 years is stretching it.. I'm sure the engines will drop in 5 and he could probably find one from a junk yard for even cheaper.
Infernoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #23
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
I don't see the ecu as being a problem. Maybe that just me. The bcm and related electronics are exactly the same for all camaros. You can buy a crate engine that comes with the ecu wired and ready to install with the engine, no?

The issue beyond that is cooling, trans and rear end. All easily swapped from a donor v8 car. if you don't have a donor car then I can see the issues that have been expressed earlier. Otherwise just twist a few bolts to swap the entire rear end assembly. The trans can be swapped same way.

I'm not sure why folks want to believe the v8 is an entirwly different car? Our v6 has the same suspension as the v8 g8 doesn't it? The ecu And tcm are different for sure, again easy swap from a donor v8 and the breaks are different but tests show our breaks stop in the same distance as the brembos.

What else is there?

All that said.. I'm pretty sure I'd go for buying a v8 car and starting with that platform. If I were 30 years younger, had a barn with a hoist and pit and access to a full set of tools and torches then maybe. But today I got a garage, a craftsmen wrench set and not much else.

Last edited by formare; 08-29-2011 at 06:37 PM.
formare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #24
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Can I drop a prius engine in my Camaro? I want the added fuel economy.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #25
Infernoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Can I drop a prius engine in my Camaro? I want the added fuel economy.
Only if you add a Cobra badge and put Type-R stickers on it.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #26
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernoo View Post
If my engine blows I'll drop a Zetec 2.0L in it and put SS badges all over it just because I can. :P j/k j/k

On a serious note, to answer your question "is it a big deal?", right now? money wise? Yes.

But further "down the road" (as you have already implied was your thinking in your original post), dropping a v8 might not be as expensive in say 10-15 years from now when there are a bunch of wrecked ones in the junk yard for you to pick through.

Correct, and if you read his original post he stated exactly that. "Further down the road." But I think 20 years is stretching it.. I'm sure the engines will drop in 5 and he could probably find one from a junk yard for even cheaper.
Funny...we all said the same thing last night and our posts were deleted and you called my car slow. What changed?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #27
Infernoo

Please don't start.. yet again...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #28
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
I was thinking a Tesla Motor! Since the only thing I miss from the V8 is the sound, I may as well go total stealth. haha

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote