Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 09-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
JonnyCamaro

Drives: Soon to be Camaro
Credit Unions?

I am first time buyer, I've been patient and have been saving money for a big downpayment on my first car (Camaro 2SS/RS).

A friend is trying to tell me that credit unions can be used for more than just car loans. They seem to be suggesting they (credit union) can play additional roles in getting a better price on a vehicle. This has left me thoroughly confused since people on these forums suggest that invoice or below is attainable with persistence, patience, and making dealers compete for your business. I have USAA which offers fantastic interest rates, which will beat out the national average on credit unions by a long shot.

Can joining a credit union net me an even lower price? If so, how? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

p.s. i've recently joined the forums and I am really enjoying the community so far. I'm used to forums filled with flame threads and bickering so this is a welcome change.
JonnyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
I had to reactivate my USAA account to get an additional discount - $750, I think.
Discounts, offers and incentives are constantly changing, it seems.

I finance my purchase with a FCU HELOC at 4%.

Costco has an auto buyers program, but a 'high demand' car like the Camaro may not be subject to much help.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
chvyman

Drives: 2SS 45TH,gfx,blade spoiler,h grille
being a credit union member may qualify you for a discount equal to supplier pricing. that is what I did when I bought mine.
chvyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
My savings and checking is at my local credit union. Much nicer that dealing with big banks and all their changing things around every month. Plus the gorgeous 22 year old Norma works there who I take pleasure in doing business with .
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
dutchnrican
brevard

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6.
all the credit union discount will do is get you supplier pricing. if you're paying invoice or below for the car you order (which you should be) then you are already below that price. The credit union discount is irrelevant and doesn't help you there. On the other hand, if you are a member of USAA, that will get you $750.00 off. You don't need to have insurance with them either, just sign up online. That's what I did.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
austin
Team LFX - 45TH RS

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 45th
I got a great price from Becky that a credit union couldn't touch. I did, however, receive a low rate from my cu - 2.99% minus another quarter percent for having auto payroll deduction bringing my rate to 2.74%. On a 2012 Camaro I think that's a pretty good rate.
As far as the price of the vehicle, get the best price you can locally then contact Becky.

austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
JonnyCamaro

Thank you all for the replies. When I look at the handy 2012 Camaro pricing sheet it has these columns: MSRP, Dealer Invoice Price, Dealer Price, GM Preferred Price.

When you mention dealer pricing are you referring to the 'GM preferred price'? The 'Dealer Price' is the lowest priced column on the whole sheet, not even 'Invoice' beats it.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
JonnyCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
I got a great price from Becky that a credit union couldn't touch. I did, however, receive a low rate from my cu - 2.99% minus another quarter percent for having auto payroll deduction bringing my rate to 2.74%. On a 2012 Camaro I think that's a pretty good rate.
As far as the price of the vehicle, get the best price you can locally then contact Becky.
I've messaged her, but no response yet.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
austin
Team LFX - 45TH RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCamaro View Post
I've messaged her, but no response yet.
She will get back to you shortly I'm sure. She is very prompt. She calls me every time there is an update with my order and she's way ahead of the gmconnects tracking site. Let me know how you make out.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
JonnyCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
She will get back to you shortly I'm sure. She is very prompt. She calls me every time there is an update with my order and she's way ahead of the gmconnects tracking site. Let me know how you make out.
Sounds good, Austin. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
austin
Team LFX - 45TH RS

No prob.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
XeroSS

Drives: 2012 SW Camaro 2SS M6
If you're shopping for credit unions, I'm using Penfed right now. It's 1.99% APR 1-4 years, and 2.49% for 5.

https://www.penfed.org/

And yeah, like they said it should get you supplier discount pricing, but Becky is better. It's the weekend so just give her some time.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
JonnyCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroSS View Post
If you're shopping for credit unions, I'm using Penfed right now. It's 1.99% APR 1-4 years, and 2.49% for 5.

https://www.penfed.org/

And yeah, like they said it should get you supplier discount pricing, but Becky is better. It's the weekend so just give her some time.
I messaged her last Wednesday. :(
Old 09-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Hang in there. Becky rocks.

Also second PenFed. Got 2.49 for 60 mos