Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #43
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
Nice job! are you planning to flowbench the result? Also, scanxl's dyno feature sucks arse. Don't expect any close result with that. If you don't have dyno around your area maybe the best thing to do would be to compare times. 0-60, 1/8, or 1/4. They are as good or better than dyno.

Does anyone know what is the part number for the 10-11 v6 camaro intake manifold? I think I found them online for around $230 but im not sure if they are the correct part.
Don't have access or cash for a flow bench. I've never used one and I've never failed (yet) to get good results.

Thanks for the heads up on Scanxl.
I've also been looking at G-tech. any thoughts?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #44
BSR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Hey BSR-1, hope your taking pictures of the headports so we can all see that as well when you make the swap!
Will do!
Hopefully tomorrow, like I said I had to work OT today.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #45
BSR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymaro View Post
What are surface tension/boundry layer issues?
If the surface is too smooth (polished) it will actually flow less because a "boundary layer" forms along the smooth surface, making the port effectively smaller.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #46
Phendy

Drives: 2010 1lt
Can't wait to hear how this goes
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #47
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
Don't have access or cash for a flow bench. I've never used one and I've never failed (yet) to get good results.

Thanks for the heads up on Scanxl.
I've also been looking at G-tech. any thoughts?
I've done some reading up on the G-Tech...it sounds awesome to me. I wish I had one to use for while. If someone here had one, I'd probably literally pay them to ship it to me so I could use it a few times and then I'd send it back lol.

I'm just not sure I want to pay the full cost for something I may not use much at all....but I have zero access to dynos or drag strips in my location. At least with the G-tech I could get a good and seeminly reliable idea of where I'm at with my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #48
BSR-1

I hate how some people drag projects out and leave everybody hanging.
That being said, I just got home and have about 5 hours before bed time.

The car's going to be too hot to work on for quite a while and I think it'll be a better plan to do it on my days off (Monday-Tuesday).

Will update then!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #49
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Looks good.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #50
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhog View Post
How or where could you get a flowbench test?
Most shops that deal with engine building or fabrication has one, I know my high school tech class had one, or you can even build one but probably not ideal just to test 1 manifold but it can be done lol.

Is not that hard or expensive to flow bench test if you really want to but of course.. assuming that you can find one in your area.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #51
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
We are close to VMax and Pete has an awesome flow bench.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #52
BSR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Perfect! I can mail it to you and you can test it!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #53
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Good news maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone TB and intake manifold.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #54
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
I would love to see some real flow numbers.. You might have my money order in your mail this time around BSR LOL.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #55
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
One of the most important things about a "cleanup" port job is to make them all the same size. Hopefully, you used a template to get them close.... Since the AFR is the average of all the cylinders, a port that is larger than the others (or just flows a lot better) runs the risk of going lean. I think I'd ask Vince to give me a "safe" tune to try it out with and tweak in down via the logs. I'd also keep a good eye on the plugs to gauge the mixture in each cylinder. These are things that can can be mitigated by testing the flow in each port on the flow bench.

Using the gasket to match up the ports from the intake to the head works well... if you do both the intake manifold and the cylinder head. I'm afraid you'll end up with a bit of a ledge on the head side, as is, which will play hell with the flow as the airflow hits the edge of the head.

It's better to make a template from plexiglass of the head ports after you disassemble the intake and then match the intake to the template if your not going to match port the heads...
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #56
BSR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
One of the most important things about a "cleanup" port job is to make them all the same size. Hopefully, you used a template to get them close.... Since the AFR is the average of all the cylinders, a port that is larger than the others (or just flows a lot better) runs the risk of going lean. I think I'd ask Vince to give me a "safe" tune to try it out with and tweak in down via the logs. I'd also keep a good eye on the plugs to gauge the mixture in each cylinder. These are things that can can be mitigated by testing the flow in each port on the flow bench.

Using the gasket to match up the ports from the intake to the head works well... if you do both the intake manifold and the cylinder head. I'm afraid you'll end up with a bit of a ledge on the head side, as is, which will play hell with the flow as the airflow hits the edge of the head.

It's better to make a template from plexiglass of the head ports after you disassemble the intake and then match the intake to the template if your not going to match port the heads...
I've done many port jobs on intakes as well as heads and have never had a problem. I'm going to asses the head ports on my day off and see what will need to be done to make them match.
As for going lean, I have always ended up having to take away fuel after porting.

But my background is in motorcycles and not cars so thanks for the heads up.