Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #645
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
We were building Paxton & GM based 6-71's back in the late 60's and early 70's and most had NO intercooler on as we were all just learning about oxygen density and the heat developed from compressing the intake charge. Had alot of trial and error back then (and melted pistons) and then started with Turbos in the late 70's (I know this dates me as a REAL old fart). The technology has come so far on both it is amazing. But I don't see why anyone should worry about IAT's with the soultion available today no matter what the application. Every application we have released of the Super Chiller reduces temps 30-50* in 3-7 minutes with zero negatives and only 7-9#'s added weight. We even have a 12v electric compressor option for the road racer that wants constant cooling.

We have seen huge power from both KB & Maggie builds and both can be a good option but the KB deffinately has more of an issue & thus takes more for us to cool them, but the results are similar no matter what type FI is used.

This debate will never end or be stteled, but with a simple cost effective solution, why draw it out so?

We prefer the Maggie & Whipple over the KB personally from the customer support standpoint more than anything else but do builds with all.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #646
SpeedPro

Drives: 2010 LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
I was too believe it or not...(trying to lighten it up I mean). If you read it with a Joe Peschi voice then yo get it...probably should have hit it with a smiley or two so the easily offended didn't get their skirts blown up.

Cudos to you for not getting twisted over it......bad ass Nova...definitely a hot looking car that I am sure runs as well as it looks. Good Luck with the KB...keep us posted on your progress.

I'm not really a Whipple guy...I'm a go fast guy...so whatever works....works ya know.
Yeah your right, I should have used more smilies, didnt mean to offend or make anyone upset with my comments. I forget you guys cant read my mind! Is that your car in the Avitar? I love that color!!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #647
SpeedPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
We were building Paxton & GM based 6-71's back in the late 60's and early 70's and most had NO intercooler on as we were all just learning about oxygen density and the heat developed from compressing the intake charge. Had alot of trial and error back then (and melted pistons) and then started with Turbos in the late 70's (I know this dates me as a REAL old fart). The technology has come so far on both it is amazing. But I don't see why anyone should worry about IAT's with the soultion available today no matter what the application. Every application we have released of the Super Chiller reduces temps 30-50* in 3-7 minutes with zero negatives and only 7-9#'s added weight. We even have a 12v electric compressor option for the road racer that wants constant cooling.

We have seen huge power from both KB & Maggie builds and both can be a good option but the KB deffinately has more of an issue & thus takes more for us to cool them, but the results are similar no matter what type FI is used.

This debate will never end or be stteled, but with a simple cost effective solution, why draw it out so?

We prefer the Maggie & Whipple over the KB personally from the customer support standpoint more than anything else but do builds with all.
The funny thing is, with my little ol Nova (562hp Big Block with a single 850cfm carb) I cant hook those 15 inch tires on the street. With the Camaros and whatever power adder you are using be it supercharger, turbocharger, nitrous etc., pushing 600hp to 1,100hp doesnt really mean a whole lot unless you can stick it to the ground. So if you are truly loosing anything from IAT heat you would never even know it. All the people I have talked to with the KB say they dont have any problems or heat related issues that affect their performance. You say there is and I would like to know (Im just asking not wanting to make a big deal over it) how that has affected those whom you have done KB builds for. Lets face it, some things just never change, and heat affects everything no matter what you are running. The question is, does the heat you have really matter on your application? If you say "YES" how has it affected your performance? At what point do you start to see symptoms and what are they? Seems like splitting hairs over IAT's in a street application as far as horse power loss or gain in small numbers is pointless. The variables here with street applications are all over the place. Shoot, they are all over the place in professional racing and conditions can change quickly! Thats why they have scientists as crew chiefs using computers to go over the data after every run trying to find that sweet spot! If you are a serious drag racer you have many many other variables and components to consider as well. Those of you in the business know what I'm talking about. Conditions are always changing especially on the street, so dont take one test and its numbers and think those numbers stay the same 24/7 because they simply donot. I certainly will agree with you that as long as people have something to argue about, certain issue will never be solved
Thanks for your valued input!

Last edited by SpeedPro; 09-26-2011 at 07:28 AM.
SpeedPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #648
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
Centri would be best if you wunna make big #'s.
Ya - right after the turbo
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #649
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedPro View Post
The funny thing is, with my little ol Nova (562hp Big Block with a single 850cfm carb) I cant hook those 15 inch tires on the street. With the Camaros and whatever power adder you are using be it supercharger, turbocharger, nitrous etc., pushing 600hp to 1,100hp doesnt really mean a whole lot unless you can stick it to the ground. So if you are truly loosing anything from IAT heat you would never even know it. All the people I have talked to with the KB say they dont have any problems or heat related issues that affect their performance. You say there is and I would like to know (Im just asking not wanting to make a big deal over it) how that has affected those whom you have done KB builds for. Lets face it, some things just never change, and heat affects everything no matter what you are running. The question is, does the heat you have really matter on your application? If you say "YES" how has it affected your performance? At what point do you start to see symptoms and what are they? Seems like splitting hairs over IAT's in a street application as far as horse power loss or gain in small numbers is pointless. The variables here with street applications are all over the place. Shoot, they are all over the place in professional racing and conditions can change quickly! Thats why they have scientists as crew chiefs using computers to go over the data after every run trying to find that sweet spot! If you are a serious drag racer you have many many other variables and components to consider as well. Those of you in the business know what I'm talking about. Conditions are always changing especially on the street, so dont take one test and its numbers and think those numbers stay the same 24/7 because they simply donot. I certainly will agree with you that as long as people have something to argue about, certain issue will never be solved
Thanks for your valued input!
Your correct on hooking up. Most builds we see are not having the supension/chassis setup to properly transfer and load.

On the power, plenty of posts in the Super Chiller threads with before & after by the customers. Anything above 160* or so and the ECM starts to pull timing. The detonation pulls timing, and the ECM will default to the low octaine tables. ALL rob power. In fact we just got 30 more RWHP on a maggie GTO after the chiller being able to be more aggressive with the tune due to the heat issues....and have seen 50 or more on some big cube builds.

The problem of traction is entirely different than the power produced for any given build. Why throw away power that is so simple to have?

Those that are not hooking need to have a true chassis shop mod and set-up the car and then that power does not go to waste as you can see with your nova.

Our background on chassis set-up? We do full drag car fabrication, from back-halved to full CM chassis built to any cert class.

He have divisional, National, and World Championsips in both NHRA & IHRA in multiple classes so this is something we have dealt with daily for years. The street car side of our business is only one part of our business.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #650
B.Buster

Drives: 2010 AquaBlue 2SS/RS
High IAT's rob the power of a FI car as stated . My Super Chiller has lowered my IAT well below ambient temp on a heat soaked motor
B.Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #651
G200 Pilot
G200 Pilot

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS purchased 5/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Buster View Post
High IAT's rob the power of a FI car as stated . My Super Chiller has lowered my IAT well below ambient temp on a heat soaked motor
Please let us know how it does on the track!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #652
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
So has there been any clarification to the Whipple's calibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMadeWho View Post
So, it appears the recalibration did change the IAT operating range a bit, but the Whipple IAT still didn't get above 120 degrees. My E-Force would have been 140-150 degrees at the end of this test.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #653
SpeedPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
I'm not really a Whipple guy...I'm a go fast guy...so whatever works....works ya know.
I think there are 9 companies now that build superchargers. If you are not a Whipple guy which one are you or will you be using? Maybe I should say, what is your GO FAST preference?

Last edited by SpeedPro; 09-28-2011 at 11:27 AM.
SpeedPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #654
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Maggie, Whipple, Kenne Bell - Screw(no pun intended, lol) the IAT's which one puts more power to the ground? Let's see some 1/4 time slips!
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #655
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
Maggie, Whipple, Kenne Bell - Screw(no pun intended, lol) the IAT's which one puts more power to the ground? Let's see some 1/4 time slips!

My TVS 2300 @ 16 psi with a cam / cai / headers and the ice chest. Nothing else.
Attached Images

Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #656
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My cousin ran consistent 10.3 with a Maggie at 14 PSI and 100 shot. But, what I want to see is the same car run the different blowers at the same boost level to see which one make the most power and which one runs the fastest/quickest at the track.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #657
SpeedPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
My TVS 2300 @ 16 psi with a cam / cai / headers and the ice chest. Nothing else.
NICE!!! That is fly'in baby!!! Would love to see that run on video!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #658
MJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
We heard a rumor that you were texting during that run... would of cracked the 9s if you didn't reply to that text, haha...
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote