Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Door Moved out of Alignment???

So I was drying the car the other day when I noticed what I thought was white wax residue in the seam on the front of the driver's side door. I slid a cloth in there to try to wipe it clean and realized that wasn't residue, but paint missing.

Obviously you can't get a door ding on the front side of the door where it hinges, so I was trying to figure it out when I noticed how tight that gap looked. Sure enough, it looks like the door has shifted forward, making the gap on the hinged side so small that the door is rubbing against the front quarter panel. The gap on the rear side of the door is much larger than it is on the other door.

How can this even happen? Take a look at the pics I took

Name:  2011-10-03_20-02-01_798.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  128.0 KB
Here you can see the two places where the paint is rubbed

Name:  2011-10-03_20-02-37_609.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  150.1 KB
Here is the handle side of the driver's door

Name:  2011-10-03_20-03-04_356.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  108.7 KB
Look how much smaller the passenger side handle side gap is.

Anybody ever heard of anything like this?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
it happens, from wind opening door too hard..... too many reasons, haven't looked but it should adjust back with simple shims, or maybe just loosen and tighten again. since it damaged paint, will warranty cover?
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
it happens, from wind opening door too hard..... too many reasons, haven't looked but it should adjust back with simple shims, or maybe just loosen and tighten again. since it damaged paint, will warranty cover?
+1 did the wind grab the door out of your hands one time? it happened to me, We get bad wind and parked on the street and oped the door and it pulled out of my hands and that was it, you can not shim the door to the hinges, there is a Alignment pints built in to the hinges, so you can try the wood trick or if its bad like my car was then the hinges are bent and you need to replace them.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

I don't remember that ever happening, not saying it didn't but I can't remember it. I'm taking it in in the morning.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Doesn't even need to be the wind to move the door. When I used to work for a different car company, the final inspectors used to "walk" the door forward if the fit wasn't right. Just open the door hard and the hinges will move forward. Did it myself once or twice. This was a 4 door model so it's would probably be much easier to do with the large Camaro doors. Don't know if the alignment pins will prevent this but it's one of the disadvantages of bolt on hinges.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Doesn't even need to be the wind to move the door. When I used to work for a different car company, the final inspectors used to "walk" the door forward if the fit wasn't right. Just open the door hard and the hinges will move forward. Did it myself once or twice. This was a 4 door model so it's would probably be much easier to do with the large Camaro doors. Don't know if the alignment pins will prevent this but it's one of the disadvantages of bolt on hinges.
Same thing happens on weld in hinges only there you bend the mating pillar, I know same wind pulled the drivers door on my GMC truck and there the hinges are welded.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
CamaroDreams, let us know how it goes for you with your dealer. Hopefully they're able to get this fixed up for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
CamaroDreams, let us know how it goes for you with your dealer. Hopefully they're able to get this fixed up for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Have you actually ever helped anyone out or do you just try and comfort people?? You still have yet to make a post in the AY6 2nd gear grind thread but you will help anyone else out it seems.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Looks like I'm going to have to pay for it, but first I have to bring it back next week when they actually have time to look at it... This dealership has gone so far downhill in the past few months, I see why my favorite service advisor quit. Too bad i've tried all the Chevy dealers in the area now and this is the least bad one. Somebody needs to tell GM what the word service means.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to pay for it, but first I have to bring it back next week when they actually have time to look at it... This dealership has gone so far downhill in the past few months, I see why my favorite service advisor quit. Too bad i've tried all the Chevy dealers in the area now and this is the least bad one. Somebody needs to tell GM what the word service means.
Yea they do. I get crappy service at every dealer I visit.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Yea they do. I get crappy service at every dealer I visit.
I drive 30 minutes, past two other dealers to go to the one I do now. They used to have this awesome service rep there that always took great care of me. Last time I called to make an appointment they told me he quit. Now it sucks just like the rest of them.

I love GM, my family has given many lifetimes of labor to them, but I'm really thinking of going elsewhere for my next vehicle. Too many "little things" like this have happened on this car and not on any other car anybody in my family has ever owned. Or at least when they happened in the past, the dealer took care of it. Now it's like they look for a reason NOT to cover it first, then grudgingly take care of it if they have to. Not the way to pull your company out of the grave if you ask me.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Same thing happens on weld in hinges only there you bend the mating pillar, I know same wind pulled the drivers door on my GMC truck and there the hinges are welded.
True but it's usually pretty obvious when you bend the pillar. Walking the bolt on hinges is more subtle. Just my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Wow, how did they justify that it's not under bumper to bumper?
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
Bruce_Lee

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS, RS, Automatic.
My Hood moved out of alignment as well, I think...

Hi,
Not to hijack this thread, but I don't want to start another one.

Last weekend, while I was washing my Camaro, I noticed that the right side (Driver's side) of the hood sits lower then the left side. The left side is pefectly aligned (leveled) with the left fender. ON the right side, the fender (edge) is higher by about 1/8th of an inch (at least).

Sorry but I didn't take a picture.

I will be stopping by the dealer today at lunch time so that they can take a look at it.

Note: I was looking at some of the first pictures I took of my camaro and the hood looks evenly aligned/installed.

There are no 'dents' or signs that someone/something pushed it down on that side, and I know I've never sat on the hood (or any one else).

thanks,

BL.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Lee View Post
Hi,
Not to hijack this thread, but I don't want to start another one.

Last weekend, while I was washing my Camaro, I noticed that the right side (Driver's side) of the hood sits lower then the left side. The left side is pefectly aligned (leveled) with the left fender. ON the right side, the fender (edge) is higher by about 1/8th of an inch (at least).

Sorry but I didn't take a picture.

I will be stopping by the dealer today at lunch time so that they can take a look at it.

Note: I was looking at some of the first pictures I took of my camaro and the hood looks evenly aligned/installed.

There are no 'dents' or signs that someone/something pushed it down on that side, and I know I've never sat on the hood (or any one else).

thanks,

BL.
There are 4 rubber adjustment screw type thingies under the hood, there probably just need a slight adjustment. This is totally different then what to OP is going through and simple to do yourself.