Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #99
matthook

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
Since you're used to a V8 for so long I would say just find the perfect V8 even if it takes a little time. I feel like if you get a V6 you might get bored and it wont be "enough" for you after a while.

Team LFX Thread Link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187109
Team LFX Group: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=306
Old 11-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #100
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
I drove a lot of V8s and V6s before deciding on the V6.

Plenty of power, no regrets.

Drove to North Carolina and back over the Thanksgiving weekend. 28.4 MPG and enjoyed a few satisfying vroom and passes of other vehicles.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #101
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
If it's a daily driver, I'd say pick the 6. I love mine. Sexy, plenty of power, nice moddable engine. Great gas mileage, fun to drive and easy on the wallet. I test drove both before settling on my V6. You can do a lot with it. If you can afford the higher insurance, higher gas price and all around higher ownership cost of the SS with the bigger price tag, then go for it. It all depends on what you really NEED and what you can afford. But don't get a used SS unless you're POSITIVE it was a garage queen. People beat the hell out of them, as you've already seen.

Also... I totally agree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I guess everyone must drive on a racetrack everyday to get groceries, go to work, etc. The V6 (especially w/mods) is plenty of car for daily driving needs. I never even thought about the whole V6 vs V8 thing until I joined this forum and discovered that there are an awful lot of insecure people out there. The only time I can really let my V6 rip is when I'm on the freeway and no one else is around, and even then, it's for a very short period of time. If you want the V8, you might as well go for it, but from a practical standpoint, it's overkill for a daily driver. Unless everyone really is using their V8 to it's full potential everyday on the streets, then it's more about bragging rights than anything else. Now if you want a track car, then sure, the V8 is the natural choice.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #102
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSNEEKSx View Post
Wait how much torque you pushing?
dunno - i know I have enough for a 13.71 1/4 traction limited run with a 1.95 60' and an 8.7 1/8 Not sure what that works out to.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #103
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark5thGenGirl View Post
If it's a daily driver, I'd say pick the 6. I love mine. Sexy, plenty of power, nice moddable engine. Great gas mileage, fun to drive and easy on the wallet. I test drove both before settling on my V6. You can do a lot with it. If you can afford the higher insurance, higher gas price and all around higher ownership cost of the SS with the bigger price tag, then go for it. It all depends on what you really NEED and what you can afford. But don't get a used SS unless you're POSITIVE it was a garage queen. People beat the hell out of them, as you've already seen.

again, you don't *need* all of the v8 power. you probably don't even *need* all of the v6 power. i hate when people make the argument you don't "need" the extra power. if cars needed 430hp these days, there would be no v6s made. it's all there for fun. and, if you like power, the v8 is more fun. period.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #104
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Drives: The Black Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark5thGenGirl View Post

[COLOR=seagreen]Mods Installed:
Backup sensors
American Racing Rogue Wheels
AAC LED Interior Light Kit

Ordered:
BlingLights Fog Light Kit
AAC Footwell Ambient Lighting Kit
Complete Lamp Protection Kit
(Smoked Finish)
Old 11-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #105
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
I test drove a new 2012 v6 and liked it. Then took a used SS for a spin and bought it 30 minutes later....

Both are great cars. I can see the pros and cons for both, my choice was easy and I have not regretted it even once. Best decision I have made in a long time
Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #106
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
No disrespect to the V6 bros and sis here but for the OP, if you can afford it, get the SS and have a lot less "what if" down the line. We have had so many members trade in their V6 for a SS and likely many more who wish they can afford to trade now. You gotta remember, whichever you choose, you don't lose.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #107
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Why would anyone start a thread like this lol? 99% of the answer are going to be towards what they drive and what they love. You can't really go wrong with neither one. You can make both as fast as you want them to be as long as you have the money to spend and that is the truest answer you will get here.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #108
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
No disrespect to the V6 bros and sis here but for the OP, if you can afford it, get the SS and have a lot less "what if" down the line. We have had so many members trade in their V6 for a SS and likely many more who wish they can afford to trade now. You gotta remember, whichever you choose, you don't lose.
THIS
Old 11-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #109
Dasein

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT
I love the hell out of my V6, but I'm sure I'd love a V8 even more. They're different beasts altogether, and the V8 is the one that's designed to haul ass. If you can comfortably afford the V8 and all of the things it needs, go for it and don't look back.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #110
steve216

Drives: 08 Mini Cooper S
I drove my friends rented SS and now I have my car listed for sale. I learned never to test drive cars now.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #111
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
again, you don't *need* all of the v8 power. you probably don't even *need* all of the v6 power. i hate when people make the argument you don't "need" the extra power. if cars needed 430hp these days, there would be no v6s made. it's all there for fun. and, if you like power, the v8 is more fun. period.
I never made an argument that the OP didn't NEED the extra power.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #112
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
If the V8 is what you really want, then get that. Some of us V6-ers are coming off 4 bangers and V6's both NA and FI and kind of prefer that to a V8. I'm not a fan of the whole get what's practical or what you need argument because on principle, purchasing this type of car is an emotion based decision. It would be powerful enough to scoot you around town and onto the freeway with an Eco-tech four banger in it. doesn't mean it would very fun to drive though. I made the mistake of purchasing a SOLO catback when deep down I really wanted an ARK catback exhaust. I now have that exhaust and I have peace of mind that I have what I truly want. Unless you really can't afford a 2LT or an SS get what you WANT and no need to justify it to another person. It will gnaw at you everyday if you don't. Good luck in your decision.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.

Closed Thread