Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
meltyface

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM LS3 w/ blk rally
Unhappy I guess my camaro isn't supposed to have new wheels!

Well I got my new wheels in today and have run into a ton of crap, first my jack breaks, then I find out that my tire iron won't fit in the holes (had to grind the bastard skinnier), then I just went to take it for a test drive and now the front tires are rubbing the brake caliper. I settled on the giovanna kilis 20" which are supposed to clear the Brembo Brakes, but apparently my car is a freak and they are rubbing just a little...hopefully I'll be up and running in a few days though, because I refuse to go back to those 21s.
Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ high flow cats, Borla x-pipe, Borla Stinger exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, markers, tail and reverse lights plus parking light blackouts, body colored bowties, body colored SS emblems, Passport 9500 radar detector (a must have), Kenwood DNX9960 radio w/ metra kit. Matte Black Giovanna Dalar 5V: 20x8.5 & 20x10 wheels

Mods in the future:
Relocating guts of "shark fin" and removing it, cam, super charge/turbo?...unsure what after that...

Gotta have MORE power!!
meltyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
meltyface

Oh, does anyone know how I can touch up the brake caliper and/or the matte black on my rims that is a little scratched. It's not noticeable to anyone but me, but I'm the one who cares the most anyway lol.
Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ high flow cats, Borla x-pipe, Borla Stinger exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, markers, tail and reverse lights plus parking light blackouts, body colored bowties, body colored SS emblems, Passport 9500 radar detector (a must have), Kenwood DNX9960 radio w/ metra kit. Matte Black Giovanna Dalar 5V: 20x8.5 & 20x10 wheels

Mods in the future:
Relocating guts of "shark fin" and removing it, cam, super charge/turbo?...unsure what after that...

Gotta have MORE power!!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
RANGERGOD
IDBZ M.C.

Drives: 12' IOM, 2SS, LS3
I would just use touch up paint and clear nail polish on the wheels.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Who did you order these wheels from? What widths and offsets?
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
meltyface

The fronts are 20x8.5 and the offset is supposed to be the same as the stock SS 20's, but I'm guessing it's off because of them rubbing the face of the brake caliper. I was surprised I'm having this issue, I thought the dampeners would have been the problem, but those have a ton of room.

Mods in the future:

Gotta have MORE power!!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltyface View Post
The fronts are 20x8.5 and the offset is supposed to be the same as the stock SS 20's, but I'm guessing it's off because of them rubbing the face of the brake caliper. I was surprised I'm having this issue, I thought the dampeners would have been the problem, but those have a ton of room.
Who/where did you order the wheels from?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
meltyface

I got them from sean at WSI. Looks like the solution is going to be adding a 3mm spacer, which I'd prefer not to do, but sure beats grinding the wheel or caliper face. I could probably get away with them.making a thinner 2mm one, but he ensures me that 3mm is perfectly safe. They are pretty good people over there and by no means will I let this little thing cause a negative outlook of that company. Hell they were the only onrs that could come up.with a suitable solution for me to get these rims

Mods in the future:

Gotta have MORE power!!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
I got them from sean at WSI. Looks like the solution is going to be adding a 3mm spacer, which I'd prefer not to do, but sure beats grinding the wheel or caliper face. I could probably get away with them.making a thinner 2mm one, but he ensures me that 3mm is perfectly safe. They are pretty good people over there and by no means will I let this little thing cause a negative outlook of that company. Hell they were the only onrs that could come up.with a suitable solution for me to get these rims
I don't know how much you spent on the wheels, but if a company doesn't know what fits and what doesn't that is a problem. Honestly if they told you the wheels fit and they didn't, causing damage to your calipers they should pay to have them fixed/repainted.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
I'm curious how your wheels are just 'rubbing' the calipers. If the wheel is making contact with the caliper, then it shouldn't turn. If it is only occasionally 'rubbing' the caliper, it means your wheels are flexing and it's a miracle that you haven't had a catastrophic failure.

At the end of the day, it's the customer's job to make sure clearances are correct. What are the offsets for your wheels, front and rear?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
meltyface

The offset is +35, I'm pretty sure the wheels aren't flexing (at least I hope) because that would be that both wheels are defected in the same exact spot which is highly unlikely, right? I hope I didn't get screwed with these wheels. The whole process of finding good looking wheels that fit over these damn Brembos has really been a pain in the a*$.

Hopefully this 3mm spacer will fix the problem, and not cause me any issues in the future.

Mods in the future:

Gotta have MORE power!!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:

Hopefully this 3mm spacer will fix the problem, and not cause me any issues in the future.
If it is rubbing just a hair, then a 3mm should be just barely enough. Make sure you still catch enough threads with the lugs after you add those spacers.