Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
meltyface

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM LS3 w/ blk rally
Lowering car questions

I've been thinking about lowering my car now that I replaced my 21" wheels with 20s. I'm thinking an 1" drop would give the give the perfect stance. I've got two questions however:

1. What is the best/most dependable brand of springs ya'll recommend?

2. Do I need to buy or do anything additional when lowering the car, or is installing the springs all that's required?
Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ high flow cats, Borla x-pipe, Borla Stinger exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, markers, tail and reverse lights plus parking light blackouts, body colored bowties, body colored SS emblems, Passport 9500 radar detector (a must have), Kenwood DNX9960 radio w/ metra kit. Matte Black Giovanna Dalar 5V: 20x8.5 & 20x10 wheels

Mods in the future:
Relocating guts of "shark fin" and removing it, cam, super charge/turbo?...unsure what after that...

Gotta have MORE power!!
meltyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
1) They're all about the same. Find a brand that falls within your budget.

2) You need to get an alignment afterwards. Then having a spring compressor helps with the install but isn't really needed.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
1) They're all about the same. Find a brand that falls within your budget.

2) You need to get an alignment afterwards. Then having a spring compressor helps with the install but isn't really needed.
this.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
meltyface

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM LS3 w/ blk rally
Is it true that if you lower the car more than 1.25" the handling will suffer? Also what is the max I should lower the car to, or probably what clearance should I keep so that I don't screw up my car when I drive it?
Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ high flow cats, Borla x-pipe, Borla Stinger exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, markers, tail and reverse lights plus parking light blackouts, body colored bowties, body colored SS emblems, Passport 9500 radar detector (a must have), Kenwood DNX9960 radio w/ metra kit. Matte Black Giovanna Dalar 5V: 20x8.5 & 20x10 wheels

Mods in the future:
Relocating guts of "shark fin" and removing it, cam, super charge/turbo?...unsure what after that...

Gotta have MORE power!!
meltyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltyface View Post
Is it true that if you lower the car more than 1.25" the handling will suffer? Also what is the max I should lower the car to, or probably what clearance should I keep so that I don't screw up my car when I drive it?
Handling doesn't suffer at all. The problem with going much lower than 1.25in is that you may need aftermarket camber bolts for the rear. The fronts seem to have more adjustability than the rears. I've yet to hear of anyone that couldn't get factory alignment with Pfadts 1.25in springs. I use their street performance specs which give you a combo of good handling and good tire wear. I just turned over 20k on the stock Pirelli's, if that tells you anything, besides the fact that I don't do a lot of burnouts.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote