Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #519
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
On a different note, I was looking at some over flow tanks

I'll wait till the radiator comes in to see how much room is available but kind of like this

Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #520
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
It's a newer mod. I'll get some pics up asap
blackonblacksls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #521
FurySS
Furious Shine

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post

Wait, HMMMMM, you think? Could you imaging how cool! Pop the hood open and all there is....... a giant fuse box center stage with all kinds of circuitry running to each fuse. I think I'm going to give Circuit City a visit tomorrow.

I think the fumes are starting to get to me.
CAMARO HYBRID!!!!
FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #522
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Indy...you're addicted now, too. Nathan's disease is spreading.

Nathan, with the exception of the cabin filter, and intake, my engine compartment looks the same. No disrespect Indy...but your engine accessories are still attached to your engine.

Nathan deserves a few more ...just cause it has been awhile. Actually, he deserves a for the new overflow tank. Post some details on the black one, please.

The fuse box would be much easier to wire up in the trunk if the engine was back there too. Think of all of the room you would have in that engine bay. You could even sleep in there if you needed to.

Indy, definitely do the scoop and washer relocation. I love it. Actually I bought the washer relocation and ended up not using it. May use it on my other car. Still using the scoop though. I removed all of the washer fluid stuff, since I never drive in the rain. Removed it from the hood, and even removed the wipers (storing them in the trunk just in case, along with some window cleaner.) I have rubber boots covering the wiper arm bolts.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #523
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
You know...if you squint your eyes you can kind of consider the engine to be "clutter' I guess. I mean, why does it have to be called an engine bay in the first place? A "shoot me" bay just sounds more manly, don't you think?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #524
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
I got a chance to buy some of the russell split loom from jegs and its leaps and bounds better than the generic kind that Jegs and others sell. Its definitely NOT the same quality. Russells is twice as thick while the jegs stuff was practically see through and you could see the color of the wire you put in there. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

These are the 2 I'm talking about. Personally I wouldn't let the Jegs brand touch my car. This is a case where you get what you pay for.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Russell/Russel...48918/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...10652/10002/-1
Synner, I agree that there is a quality difference. I prefer the finished look of the braided stuff compared to the russell brand. It is a little more work, but I wrap the wire with friction tape (for more protection and wire visibility elimination), and then install the braided sheething. I then wrap the ends with silicon self-fusing tape. The finished work looks good, and is less than 1/4 of the cost of the russell (not that the additional cost is an issue if we are going this far ). However, the russell allows you to get back at the wire very easily. The method I used, takes awhile to unwrap and then wrap back up. Either method looks leaps and bounds better than the corrugated and taped mess that we start with.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #525
Synner

Drives: cars
Well if you're going to tape it up anyways then you might as well get the cheaper stuff. I still need to get some of the tape to secure the ends and transitions. I think the russell might provide a bit more heat protection than the thinner braided stuff though; that's the only negative I see but would be location dependant.

I also got some super high temp stuff for the lines that run close to the headers but it wasn't in stock, should be here in 2-3 days. Having a Jegs outlet nearby is bad for the checking account.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #526
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Well if you're going to tape it up anyways then you might as well get the cheaper stuff. I still need to get some of the tape to secure the ends and transitions. I think the russell might provide a bit more heat protection than the thinner braided stuff though; that's the only negative I see but would be location dependant.

I also got some super high temp stuff for the lines that run close to the headers but it wasn't in stock, should be here in 2-3 days. Having a Jegs outlet nearby is bad for the checking account.
I have found that the Tesa tape that Nathan referred to in an earlier post, does not stay taped together. I was waiting for some more sheething to come in and I had already taped it up, and after a few days, it already came undone just sitting there. Not sure what tape you plan on using, but thought that I would throw that out there.

Oh, it must be horrible having Jegs that close. I have a Summit about 45 minutes away. Too far to not just order online.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #527
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Oh, it must be horrible having Jegs that close. I have a Summit about 45 minutes away. Too far to not just order online.
I went in for a $20 pipe expander and left with a $250 bill. If the wife didn't tag along it would have been $350.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #528
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
Billet Specialties makes those expansion tanks. We use them on our cars, one for coolant and one as a washer tank. It's a very bling W/W relocation. They are available in polished and black anodized, smooth and ribbed (no dirty jokes).
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #529
Moreno1

LSX, you beat me to it. That's the same system I'm using. Should have it next week. We are also going to use their over flow tank. It mounts directly to the side of the radiator. Thanks for posting, It gives me a preview of how AWESOME it's going to look. Of coarse I'm going to put on the Nathan twist on it. I can't wait.

Last edited by Moreno1; 03-13-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #530
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Indy...you're addicted now, too. Nathan's disease is spreading.

Nathan, with the exception of the cabin filter, and intake, my engine compartment looks the same. No disrespect Indy...but your engine accessories are still attached to your engine.

Give him another week....... he will be posting how he remove the entire front drive and how he's going us, LOL.

Nathan deserves a few more ...just cause it has been awhile. Actually, he deserves a for the new overflow tank. Post some details on the black one, please. Billet Specialties.

The fuse box would be much easier to wire up in the trunk if the engine was back there too. Think of all of the room you would have in that engine bay. You could even sleep in there if you needed to.

I currently researching trans-axles.

Indy, definitely do the scoop and washer relocation. I love it. Actually I bought the washer relocation and ended up not using it. May use it on my other car. Still using the scoop though. I removed all of the washer fluid stuff, since I never drive in the rain. Removed it from the hood, and even removed the wipers (storing them in the trunk just in case, along with some window cleaner.) I have rubber boots covering the wiper arm bolts.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #531
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You know...if you squint your eyes you can kind of consider the engine to be "clutter' I guess. I mean, why does it have to be called an engine bay in the first place? A "shoot me" bay just sounds more manly, don't you think?
Doc, I agree.... the word "bay" sound to much like........never mind.

I think we should change the name of this thread to "Some Body Shoot Me Please"
Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #532
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Alright...you guys have given me project #1 for next year.