Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
metaphysician

Drives: 2SSRS CGM & Harley Crossbones
Injector and throttle body cleaning at the dealer...

I had my 2SS RS in for a Mobil1 oil and filter change. I'm at 34,xxx miles. I do not have any performance or fuel economy issues. Dealer recommended fuel injector and throttle body cleaning for $169.95. I'm thinking since I don't have any issues right now and that price seems a bit steep, should I pass? I declined for now. Thoughts?
metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Pass.

That is practically criminal theft. Ask the service writer, let me guess.... your pay is commission based?

If you have been using good gas, and it is running perfect... no reason to clean the injectors.

Plus you wouldn't want to do it with a fresh oil change, it will wash gunk down into the fresh oil.

Very easy DIY, if you wanted to handle it yourself for < $10.

A week before your next oil change, put a bottle of cleaner with Techron in the tank. I've used Chevron with Techron, good stuff - comes in a black bottle at auto parts stores. It is the exact same stuff as sold at the GM dealer's parts dept. Floor it a couple times during that week. That will do a good top engine cleaning, and will clean the injectors. Your oil will be black.

When that tank of gas is gone, refill with new gas and change the oil. Pop the throttle body off, and wipe out any carbon on the backside of the throttle blade and body. That is a piece of cake, the gasket is even reusable, no coolant loss. Very easy DIY job in the garage.

That's why they try to push it on everybody in the service lane. Gravy, high profit margin work..... that you really don't need.

Ask them to look up the bulletin from GM on selling unnecessary flush and cleaning services. Basically it says - quit being thieves to customers that just come in for an oil change.

And look how well it works. A thief is a thief.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
metaphysician

Drives: 2SSRS CGM & Harley Crossbones
Sounds about what I was thinking. Thanks for the information as well as the DIY solution.
metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
A properly functioning catchcan will preventneeding the TB and uper induction cleaning period. Fuelinjectors follow russell'sadvice.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote