Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #29
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I can think of a handful of guys on here that found broken tensioners when they did their cam swaps. Moss man for one.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #30
FLP

Drives: 2010 FLP/Nickey Twin Turbo Camaro
I think about 50% of the ones I have opened up were busted...

FLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #31
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLP View Post
I think about 50% of the ones I have opened up were busted...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #32
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
So the fact that guys have found broken tensioners when opening up the timing cover for cams, is this a problem that someone who doesn't plan on doing a cam? I'm thinking at some point it is, especially if 50% of what FLP found were already broken.

I run my engine at high RPM on the road course. So this isn't just a daily driver for me. Am I asking for trouble? And how much is it to replace this with something that won't break? Labor too?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 AM   #33
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Drives: 10 SS/RS 6M Blk/Blk Silver Stripes
Im going to have to keep this in mind, my 2010 SS just hit 10,000 miles. I had problems when I snapped a half axle and the transmission had to be replaced due to a bent input shaft that was discovered after the half shaft was fixed, I had a really bad vibration. I wonder if my tensioner is about to go due to the axle snap causing something to happen for some crazy reason?
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
-Hurst Shifter, with custom Speed Dawg
Dennis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:03 AM   #34
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

50%!!!!!! How many have you opened? Are we talking 50% of two cars or 50% of 100+ cars?
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #35
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

I dont want to drive my car now until I check it!
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 03-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #36
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I did a cam swap at about 38,000 miles and retained the stock tensioner. Mine showed minimal wear and I prefer a tensioner to a dampner. I am not concerned of failure.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #37
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Is a dual timing chain a good idea?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Yes except you cant use the melling 10296 high volume oil pump. Might be a problem with other pumps as well. Their is not enough clearance with the double chain in their.

It can be made to fit but I forget the details. Seemed like a headache...combined with the fact that the single katech c5r chain has never been broken even in racing aps was enough for me to forget about the double roller.
I don't think the Melling pump should be a concern in a timing chain selection. On a stock bottom end, I prefer a stock oil pump. I made sure my stock pump was machined/built ok, and I put it right back on. The aftermarket stuff that's high volume or high pressure is going to be more of a parasitic drag on the engine (less power/mpg) and could actually suck the oil pan dry at sustained high RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
It's not needed sir, dual timing chain is so Chevy 350's lol all you need is a C5r single row. Besides harmonics are what really breaks chains. Ls2 dampner a c5r t/c and a good crank pulley.
Exactly, only run stock crank pulleys, or ones made by ATI and other such companies that really really know their stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Ya stock motor except for bolt ons. Well...it has H/C installed now but just waiting for numbers any time.

It has had an slp/powerbond UD pulley on it since about 1k miles and the car has about 10k on it now. I have read an aftermarket underdrive pulley can change harmonics and contribute to the ls3 tensioner failure as well. But it has also happened with the stock balancer so who knows.
Now that you're revving a good deal higher, and have a much bumpier cam, you might want to re-think the crank pulley situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I did a cam swap at about 38,000 miles and retained the stock tensioner. Mine showed minimal wear and I prefer a tensioner to a dampner. I am not concerned of failure.
Mine was also fine, also right around 38K, but I prefer the damper so I switched. I've had a lot of personal experience with the C5-R chain, and you can't fault their track record. Where in MA are you from?

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #38
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
No

I don't think the Melling pump should be a concern in a timing chain selection. On a stock bottom end, I prefer a stock oil pump. I made sure my stock pump was machined/built ok, and I put it right back on. The aftermarket stuff that's high volume or high pressure is going to be more of a parasitic drag on the engine (less power/mpg) and could actually suck the oil pan dry at sustained high RPM.

Exactly, only run stock crank pulleys, or ones made by ATI and other such companies that really really know their stuff.

Now that you're revving a good deal higher, and have a much bumpier cam, you might want to re-think the crank pulley situation.

Mine was also fine, also right around 38K, but I prefer the damper so I switched. I've had a lot of personal experience with the C5-R chain, and you can't fault their track record. Where in MA are you from?
I live in Foxborough,my shop is in Dedham
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #39
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
I'll have to try to meet up with you some time, I'm in Worcester.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #40
MTI Racing Kevin

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Broken Timing Chain Tensioner

I do not know about 50% but we have seen more then our fair share of broken tensioners when doing cam jobs.
MTI Racing Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #41
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

What can happen? I imagine the chain can come off and cause some serious damage like bent valves and putting holes in pistions. I wonder if there is going to be a recall? Not a fan of dealers working on my car, had some really bad experience. Is there anyone close to N. Carolina that can replace the tensioner with a more reliable system?
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 04-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #42
MTI Racing Kevin

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The engine in your Camaro is an interference engine, so if the timing chain goes you can do considerable damage.
MTI Racing Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote