Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #43
midlifemike

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Honda guy with nice write-up: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18011
midlifemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #44
camaromaybe
CamaroBaby

Drives: Silver 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
I just had this happen to me as well. I went to the dealership to find out what was wrong and the guy at the desk said I was due for the 30,000 mile service and that this would probably fix it. $500. I was taken back by this because I've never owned a new car so I'm used to having all my service work done at general repair shops for much cheaper. Then after they do the service work they call me and tell me, the condensor has a hole in it and they won't cover it under warranty. smh I wouldn't have let them charge me an arm and a leg for service work if they weren't going to fix the problem. Especially since I'm less than 300 miles from losing my bumper to bumper coverage anyway. :-/

I'm working with my insurance company now to see if they will cover it.

I understand that GM shouldn't have to cover replacing your windshield if a rock hits it and cracks it. But there's nothing you can do about that. The windshield has to be in the front and it can't be blocked by anything. But GM could have placed something to protect the condensor. It really is a poor design if the component is fragile but exposed to flying debris. I love my camaro but stuff like this is just frustrating.
camaromaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #45
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Wow....I better check to see if my AC works at lunch today.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #46
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromaybe View Post
I just had this happen to me as well. I went to the dealership to find out what was wrong and the guy at the desk said I was due for the 30,000 mile service and that this would probably fix it. $500. I was taken back by this because I've never owned a new car so I'm used to having all my service work done at general repair shops for much cheaper. Then after they do the service work they call me and tell me, the condensor has a hole in it and they won't cover it under warranty. smh I wouldn't have let them charge me an arm and a leg for service work if they weren't going to fix the problem. Especially since I'm less than 300 miles from losing my bumper to bumper coverage anyway. :-/

I'm working with my insurance company now to see if they will cover it.

I understand that GM shouldn't have to cover replacing your windshield if a rock hits it and cracks it. But there's nothing you can do about that. The windshield has to be in the front and it can't be blocked by anything. But GM could have placed something to protect the condensor. It really is a poor design if the component is fragile but exposed to flying debris. I love my camaro but stuff like this is just frustrating.
The condenser and radiator require a certain amount of airflow to function properly, if they don't work the car overheats and/or your A/C doesn't work. They are always out in the open with only a grille or airdam to protect them on every car, its just dumb luck that it broke, it happens on any car.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #47
camaromaybe
CamaroBaby

Drives: Silver 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
The condenser and radiator require a certain amount of airflow to function properly, if they don't work the car overheats and/or your A/C doesn't work. They are always out in the open with only a grille or airdam to protect them on every car, its just dumb luck that it broke, it happens on any car.
Good to know, and that's a reasonable assessment. Still, I'm pretty sure there is something they could have implemented in the design that would have added protection without cutting off the airflow. Some sort of wire mesh guard or something. Spilled milk for me at this point. Just hope the rest of our Camaronians are luckier.
camaromaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #48
Hagar

Drives: 2013 Blue on Black 2LT/RS Convertib
I just had my 5th Gen in dealership this past weekend. Said the condensor had a leak. As I have 41,000 miles my warranty ran out. But at the time I purchased the car in May 2010, I purchased MasterTech Wraparound policy, and it covered it, all I had to pay was $50.00 deductable. The Service Advisor took care of me.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #49
RickHead

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Happened to me also. Rock hit one of the tubes in my condenser just right and lost all the refrigerant. It seems this is a very common thing with 2010 camaros. Call it an accident if you like, seems like a defect to me.
RickHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #50
Terryble

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS/RS M6
Im used to working with much larger heat ezchanger than the condenser in the camaro... but I wonder about the possibility of a retube...I have my doubts and assumes its actually just 1 long hairpin-esk tube that just make multiple passes through the exchanger. And another question: does anyone know what pressure these operate /are rated at? I couldnt see it being that high...ma6be some weld build up over the damaged area... or is thos damage under the fins? Scratch that... I wouldnt want to do that with tubing... plus aluminum
Terryble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #51
funbun

Drives: 2010 RS
Mine, too. I still have the " damaged " part in my garage. You can't see any impact. It's not possible to tell where the hole is. No way a rock knocked a hole in it..........there's no hole !! It just " stopped holding pressure ". Probably manuf. in India or China, like the driver side horizontal seat motor setup. ( oooooo, the pain )
funbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #52
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
It's almost always less expensive to carry the repair to any shop other than the dealership.....the dealership is where i carry it as a last resort....
Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #53
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Ac delco condenser at rock auto auto parts...178.79