Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #1387
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
OK everyone, I am finally ready to post here again. About 18 months ago I was 5'9" and 260 pound. I am a very stocky man with large chest and shoulders, so about 200 is a good weight for me. At that time I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I changed by diet and started exercising. I bought a road bike and have ridden a number of 100 Mile rides but never really lost weight.

Over the next year I gained weight with my diet and exercise. I guess you can't burn 800 calories on your bike, then eat 1500 calories of spaghetti and expect to loose weight. I eventually hit 280 pounds and then 3 months ago the rug was pulled out from under me. I had elevated liver functions and the doctor told me I had to control this or I would go into liver failure.

On February 1st I started to cut back on my food and lost to about 272 in that month. Then I started a stringent diet. I am being monitored by my doctor during this. The diet is limiting my choleric intake to 1200 a day. I have slowly been increasing my exercise as well.

Fast forward to this week, I just weighed in at 225 pound. I have lost 55 pounds since February 1. I have lost 7 inches on my waist.

Most importantly, I received my blood work back. My A1C is at 5.5 so my Diabetes is gone, no more medication. My liver is back to functioning at normal levels and my cholesterol is completely normal.

All I can say to everyone is you CAN do it. It has been tough, but I am about 2 months away from being under 200 pounds.

Congrats on the hard work & success! Keep up the good work.

I have been having a hard time making it to my exercize classes lately for a variety of reasons (weather warnings - need to get home, working late, construction at home & needing to do stuff there, etc.). I hate that. I went to class on Tue for the first time in a while I it kicked my butt! They had learned some new & really hard (Uh, but pretty sexy) dances & I had to play catch up. I plan to go again today. They are starting a new "turbo kick" class on Wed. in the gym in my hometown & I plan to check it out next week. Not sure if it is something appropriate for someone my age but I will be careful & decide on that. I won't always be able to make that class anyway as sometimes I have to work late on Wed. Weight is holding steady. I still need to find more time for weights as what I need now is toning & building muscle mass along with maintaining my current weight. BTW Bonnie those butt exercizes are helping!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #1388
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post

I have been having a hard time making it to my exercize classes lately for a variety of reasons (weather warnings - need to get home, working late, construction at home & needing to do stuff there, etc.). I hate that. I went to class on Tue for the first time in a while I it kicked my butt! They had learned some new & really hard (Uh, but pretty sexy) dances & I had to play catch up. I plan to go again today. They are starting a new "turbo kick" class on Wed. in the gym in my hometown & I plan to check it out next week. Not sure if it is something appropriate for someone my age but I will be careful & decide on that. I won't always be able to make that class anyway as sometimes I have to work late on Wed. Weight is holding steady. I still need to find more time for weights as what I need now is toning & building muscle mass along with maintaining my current weight. BTW Bonnie those butt exercizes are helping!
Keep it up. Excuses is what those are and that is the hard truth. It takes a while to want to go and do class alot. I have pretty much set aside everything in order to go to class. I have a 6 month old and she and my wife are my only priority over working out but I just tell myself there is plenty of time to go work out for an hour and still have good quality time to spend with my family. All other stuff is simply not going to get in my way! I went for a long time for a day or so and then waited a week before going back. Total waste of time as I stayed sore and gained nothing from it. 3-5 times a week is what I feel is really needed to get in shape especially if you cheat on your diet!
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #1389
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Yay for getting weaker at the gym...

kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #1390
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Yay for getting weaker at the gym...

getting weaker? ive got the cure for that
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #1391
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globemaster View Post
My HA1c was 10+ (they stopped @10). That was in December 2011. I am one of those people that hates doctors so did not go until my vision stated blurring up (Stupid). By blood sugar was so bad they put me on 1000mg tables for it. After five months I have dropped 50lbs and my HA1c in now maintained between 4.5 and 4.8. My doctor gives me no indication that I will ever come off medication in fact it is the opposite for me. The way he talks I will be on meds the rest of my life. I still test my blood twice a day seven days a week. Glad to here yours worked out better than mine. I never give up I keep my blood sugar below 100 every time it is tested I eat a lot of apples. Very little if any fried foods, gallons of water (the weight loss has slowed) I also do 3.5 miles 3 time a week (walk/run knees don’t take impact well) working on doing more (Not an exercise person gave that up after 20+ years in the military).

So after all that I do have some questions.

Did they say you are non-diabetic or a controlled diabetic?

Do you test your blood still?

How often do you have to get blood work?

Sorry for being nosey I went thru the dietician’s class not much help figured I might get some info from someone that has experienced it.

Thank you
When I was first diagnosed my A1C had been 5.8 6 months earlier and then jumped to 8.3. It hovered in the 7-8 range for the next 12 months. My doctor called me a pre-diabetic with Type 2. At the time she told me with weight loss and exercise, I couple reverse it. At my last blood work, I was 5.5, and she told me my diabetes was gone. She did not use Cured or controlled, just gone. She told me keep the weight off, continue to exercise and it will not come back. I will try and get a more clear answer on if I am still a diabetic, but controlled or if it is gone.

I have been getting blood work every 6 months for the last 7 years. My wife, who I met 8 years ago and married 6 years ago on May 6th is a stickler for preventative medicine and regular check ups. If she had not pushed me, I would probably have waited like you did.

She has told me to test my blood every other day for the next 6 months, more as a preventative. I had been on 500 MG of Metformin every day, but she has pulled me off of that. She wants to confirm that going off will not have an adverse effect. I have been testing every morning in the 85-95 range for the last 6 weeks. I am not 5 days without the meds and my sugar has not going up when I test. The concern is more for my liver. My ast was 261 and alt 380 6 months ago. Now they are at 58 and 115. She is continuing to monitor those as well, but with the metformin out of my system the ALT should go down below 100 in the next 6 months.

Your not being nosey. I have learned one strong fact in the last 3 months. I needed to be healed accountable to someone other than myself to help kick this journey off. I am now self motivated, but it talk my Mother-in-law and Wife both beating on me to kick start this journey.

As for my wife, she also started a weight loss with me and has done great. She just ordered online a bikini in small and it came in today and it fits!. She is ecstatic. I am proud of her.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #1392
11BEE
11 BEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post

Thank you! Congrats on your own journey. Remember that you just have to do it. I have learned that my home chores and volunteer activities can wait. If I am DEAD, they would not be attended to, so now they can WAIT so I can LIVE!

11Bee and I♥My45th
Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #1393
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
for anyone wanting a high protien snack that will satify your sweet tooth as well

http://www.adashofcompassion.com/201...e-dough-bites/

No sugar, flour, or eggs in this recipe.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #1394
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
for anyone wanting a high protien snack that will satify your sweet tooth as well

Agave Nectar is sugar On the plus side, it actually looks like a pretty healthy "treat". And dark chocolate is an outstanding source of antioxidants... while not "healthy", does provide health benefits for sure. A couple of these definitely would not make a huge difference in a diet as long as you don't eat them all the time, and still take into account for their calories! I might have to try them...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #1395
11BEE
11 BEE

Has anyone tried the Miller 64 beer? It has been months since I have had any alcohol, and I was wondering how bad one of them would be.

11Bee and I♥My45th
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #1396
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
Quote:
Has anyone tried the Miller 64 beer? It has been months since I have had any alcohol, and I was wondering how bad one of them would be.
I was just thinking about this the other day and had the same question
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #1397
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post

Just looking at these makes me want to run from them lol i wish it had nutritional info.... i love cookie dough!

I have been hearing a lot about agave nectar recently but have never even heard of it or tried it... is it basically just more of a natural sugar substitute? Isnt it more of a syrup consistency though?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #1398
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Yeah, I know guys, I have been a bad girl. I am usually pretty good about not letting anything stop me from going to class. With this garage build thing though, it has been hard. Some things just need to be done before dark. And when I have to work late, well, I have to. I will do better though, I promise.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #1399
kalimus

Quote:
One isn't not going to hurt you One every day... they add up. Again, always account for the calories. The biggest problem with alcohol isn't just the calories though. It dehydrates you. It's good to indulge every now and then though, so a beer or two over the weekend with some friends isn't detrimental.

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/...sharetagsfocus
Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #1400
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
Just looking at these makes me want to run from them lol i wish it had nutritional info.... i love cookie dough!

I have been hearing a lot about agave nectar recently but have never even heard of it or tried it... is it basically just more of a natural sugar substitute? Isnt it more of a syrup consistency though?
I use agave nectar when I do margarita mix from scratch. It is more of a syrup. But it helps give that sweet taste with a little less sugar That is... you need less of it to make something taste as sweet. However, cane sugar and agave are still 4 calories per gram for carbs. 1/4 cup of agave syrup is 174 calories (48 grams) of sugar!