Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Goo gone as a polish ?

So i am out in the garage using Mother's Polish and saw a spray bottle of goo-gone gel sitting and thought I would try it out. WOW!
It did a better job at cleaning and polishing the aliminum then the high dollar polish creams!

Now, the only thing I am unsure of, is there any long term effects on metals from using goo-gone? All I ever used it for was to remove sticky residue. But cleaning metal seems to work amazing. Stuff is pretty inexpensive too.

Thought I better stop and ask some detailing folks first before I get carried away.

Won't use it on any of the cars interior, stuff stinks!
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Fiveg56

Drives: -
I don't think Goo Gone is an abrasive...so I'm not sure how it can be a polish. It can clean...but not polish.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
first question I would have is are you talking about using Mothers Metal; Polish?? and if so.....what are you using it on? do you have aftermarket wheels? or what......the reason I ask is becasue our STOCK wheels, even the polished ones are clear coated.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
None of this adds up.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
james347

I used it on the gm tower brace, i think that is just bare aluminum. I used a towel and the goo gone on the metal and not rubbing too hard a lot of black came off, eventually it shined up really nice. The Mother's Aluminum (white stuff in a can) was doing the same thing. But it seemed like it was taking more effort with the Mother's and the shine wasn't as good. Just my observations.

Used it on the polished SLP tail pipes. Cleaned up the pipes very well, better then the mothers did.

Just my observation. Try it yourself.

Yeah, I know the goo gone is not an abrasive, but whatever is in that gel seems to work great. Just don't get any on your clothes or fabrics.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
Goo Gone and products like it usually contain a laquer thinner in them, it will remove just about anything organic from surfaces resulting in a bright " polished " look, it doesn't however actually polish anything, it will also disolve,..... clear coat, paint, wax rubber, tar, etc, etc. so I wouldn't advise leaving it on any surface for too long, wash and dry the area you have treated it with and reapply your wax or sealant to protect the surface you've just cleaned

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
james347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocikat View Post
Goo Gone and products like it usually contain a laquer thinner in them, it will remove just about anything organic from surfaces resulting in a bright " polished " look, it doesn't however actually polish anything, it will also disolve,..... clear coat, paint, wax rubber, tar, etc, etc. so I wouldn't advise leaving it on any surface for too long, wash and dry the area you have treated it with and reapply your wax or sealant to protect the surface you've just cleaned
Thanks, good info to know!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Interesting post! my vinyl stripes were looking crap. they had been polished which is a no no....i used goo gone to get back to basics, then washed off. They look a whole lot better.
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Flitz is an amazing metal polish

Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote