Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #71
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
Actually most of it is Apsis. Apsis SuperDeluxe Seats, they're amazing seats. Hold you great in a corner and still comfortable after a 500 mile trip.

Way off topic now, do you have any performance mods on your Z06?
what performance mods do you have? duh, just read your sig pic.....
Old 08-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #72
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdodge View Post
thats real nice.....i see you ahve the carbon fiber headliner also......gorgeous interior.

as for perfromance mods, i am stock except muffler mod and halltech intake, I am just doing cosmetic mods, i just bought new 360 forged wheels, so i need to recuperate some cash. my next mods are interior work. i like that steering wheel, does apsis make them?
Quote:
what performance mods do you have? duh, just read your sig pic.....
Ya, they make them too, think they modify your stock one. I bought the car after the mods so they came cheaper, lol. Might get aftermarket heads next. I'm worried about the stock head issue. Lot of valve failures ruining the whole engine.
http://www.apsisusa.com/Steering%20W...ke%2006-UP.htm
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #73
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
GS or ZL1...man, that is really a tough decision... and for me, it would depend how often I will have more than 1 passenger with me. You really can't go wrong either way.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #74
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
If I didn't have a need/want for the back seat (not that it is hugely useful - but my kids need somewhere to sit at times), I would probably own a Z06. As my kids get older I may just sell the ZL1 for a Z06. Never owned a vet but that's the one I would want.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #75
Ltdodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
Ya, they make them too, think they modify your stock one. I bought the car after the mods so they came cheaper, lol. Might get aftermarket heads next. I'm worried about the stock head issue. Lot of valve failures ruining the whole engine.
http://www.apsisusa.com/Steering%20W...ke%2006-UP.htm
alot of scare going around the forums, i am not sure if its true. i got an extended warranty for 4 more years, so i am just stying stock and riding it out. if i blow, it will cost me a $150 deductable.

after the warranty expires i will pull the heads and check them out and add a cam.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #76
FNBADAZ06

Drives: C6 Z06 Corvette
Quote:
alot of scare going around the forums, i am not sure if its true. i got an extended warranty for 4 more years, so i am just stying stock and riding it out. if i blow, it will cost me a $150 deductable.

after the warranty expires i will pull the heads and check them out and add a cam.
It's blown way out of porportion, unfortunetly.
I'm getting tired of people starting new threads ever week on the subject...sometimes about the same event on the same car !!!

slow a$$ Corvette
FNBADAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #77
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:

That's not a bad idea, sure it still has plenty of power mostly stock. I just spin the tires once I go above 4500 rpm in 1st - 4th on the street anyway, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06 View Post
It's blown way out of porportion, unfortunetly.
I'm getting tired of people starting new threads ever week on the subject...sometimes about the same event on the same car !!!
Well the engine in my car has blown and been rebuilt before I bought it, so I'm a little gun shy. Spun rod bearing, don't know what caused it.

It may be out of proportion, but you don't really know till you check it, upgrade, or the heads fail and you have a $16K motor to buy.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #78
Zedder

Drives: 40 plus Camaros and counting!
GM Canada screwed me around with my '12 ZL-1 order, so I refuse to buy any more GM cars from GM Canada...bought a 800 mile '12 Grand Sport yesterday in Iowa for $13K less than I would have to pay for a ZL-1 up here...happy camper
Old 08-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #79
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
No
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #80
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
GM Canada screwed me around with my '12 ZL-1 order, so I refuse to buy any more GM cars from GM Canada...bought a 800 mile '12 Grand Sport yesterday in Iowa for $13K less than I would have to pay for a ZL-1 up here...happy camper
Always welcomed to come to America to buy one lol.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:05 AM   #81
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:

It's a good plan unless it happens at high speed, which could quickly turn into a totaled car or even injuries since when the valve drops, the block cannot handle it and it usually disintegrates followed by a big bath of oil for your car and those behind you, and sometimes even fire.

I used to own a '06 Z06; was a great car. If any of you guys will get one, at least get an '09+, which has the upgraded dry sump (to avoid oil starvation issue that can happen at long left turns in road courses), and the new Tremec suspension (T6060; upgraded in '08) that does not fail to shift to third or downshift to 2nd which happens intermittently with the older models when close to redline.
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #82
Ltdodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
It's a good plan unless it happens at high speed, which could quickly turn into a totaled car or even injuries since when the valve drops, the block cannot handle it and it usually disintegrates followed by a big bath of oil for your car and those behind you, and sometimes even fire.

I used to own a '06 Z06; was a great car. If any of you guys will get one, at least get an '09+, which has the upgraded dry sump (to avoid oil starvation issue that can happen at long left turns in road courses), and the new Tremec suspension (T6060; upgraded in '08) that does not fail to shift to third or downshift to 2nd which happens intermittently with the older models when close to redline.
yeah yeah yeah, there are so many variables out there that can happen. i am stock, I dont take it to the track, never had a transmission issue on the street and i have 41,000 miles with no problems at all. the percentage of failures are low, if there really was an issue with the LS7 then why would gm keep making them? most of the failures are due to bad tunes, oil starvation at the track and aggressive cams. if you look at the failure of LS3's there are more than the LS7. its an engine and its mechanical, stuff breaks especially if you rag on them.

seems like you have already made up your mind, but as an advise, if you post in a camaro forum, you will get more camaro votes, if you post in a corvette forum, you will get more votes for the vette. the hell what others say, its your money and if you like the car thats all that counts, they are not paying for it every month.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #83
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
UPDATE:
I had a huge revelation last week: F55 magnetic suspension option now INCLUDES PTM in all '13 Z06s! In '12, it was only included with Centennial/F55 or Z07 packages, and did not even exist in '11. This allows me to save $10K from Z07 package to get the PTM.

Long story short, I just bought a Cyber-gray '13 Z06 2LZ with F55 and ZR1 spoiler. With less than $70K with all the rebates/offers applied, I think it is a great value. I also know that we won't get deals as good as this one for a few years with intro of C7, not to mention LS7 will be going away, which might end up being the NA engine with the most low-end torque and dropped valves GM will ever offer.

Now, as you guys know already, I don't trust LS7. I will keep it stock for sure, and hope that they improved it especially since the part number changes in valves post 2009. I'm sure I'll be driving a C7 by the time 5 year powertrain warranty ends.

Here is the Chevy.com pic of this configuration. It will be shipped to me, so I won't have the car for a week or so:
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #84
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
UPDATE:
I had a huge revelation last week: F55 magnetic suspension option now INCLUDES PTM in all '13 Z06s! In '12, it was only included with Centennial/F55 or Z07 packages, and did not even exist in '11. This allows me to save $10K from Z07 package to get the PTM.

Long story short, I just bought a Cyber-gray '13 Z06 2LZ with F55 and ZR1 spoiler. With less than $70K with all the rebates/offers applied, I think it is a great value. I also know that we won't get deals as good as this one for a few years with intro of C7, not to mention LS7 will be going away, which might end up being the NA engine with the most low-end torque and dropped valves GM will ever offer.

Now, as you guys know already, I don't trust LS7. I will keep it stock for sure, and hope that they improved it especially since the part number changes in valves post 2009. I'm sure I'll be driving a C7 by the time 5 year powertrain warranty ends.

Here is the Chevy.com pic of this configuration. It will be shipped to me, so I won't have the car for a week or so:
I think you will be fine. if you keep it stock they have to fix it for 5 years anyway. I only put 26k on my 07 but I drove it like I stole it the whole 4 years I had it with 0 issues motor wise. I had the clutch issue that got fixed underwaranty.

I think the Z06 was always a decent platform many of the oil starvation issues were on R comound tires. Many of the motor failures were on modified engines. The LS7 is a pretty wicked engine to start with sometimes I have wondered if it was just not sub par parts or workmanship that cause these failures. I did leave mine stock though do to worries that the aftermaket parts might lack the engineering required to have good longevity.

forums can be inbread groups at times. 1 person out of 1000 has an issue and it becomes a pandemic so to speak. I mean there was a poor guy on hear that had a PVC issue and seal leaks, steering failure all kinds. the majority don't have issues.

I only paid 55k for my ZL1 but at the cost some people have to incure to get one I think the vett's are better deals at times. The ZL1 is more well behaved at the limit though there is no doubt about that to me. The accerlation lacks compared to the Z06 though.

Looks wise they are both just sic IMO. I have always though the C6 Z06 was the best looking vette since 67. I like it better than the ZR1 becasue it does not have the stupid plexi window in the hood.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote