Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #659
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixCyl View Post
I looked up the base numbers for a 2007 Holden commodore V6 se, base power is 180 kw, so assuming a 15% loss....the base power should be 153 kw, so 167 is pretty good. For HP this is 241 hp/ 204 rwhp base and 262 hp/ 224 rwhp. Not a bad gain. Especially if this is one of those mods that suffers very little from additional mods.
A few pages back, I think Tulkas reported his baseline was 137 and after was 167 for a net of 30 rwkw. Multiply 30 x 1.38 and you get 41.4 rwhp. I think Tulkas is running the 226/226 and I'm running the new 226/210.

Update - if my calculator is working - Tulkas had an 18% gain. Take the baseline of 252 rwhp Tracy did multiply by 18% and you get 45.36 - mathematically speaking.

That's my GUESS on what we will see - 18 to 19% net gain.

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Last edited by Yellow_Glide; 10-22-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #660
SixCyl

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Glide View Post
A few pages back, I think Tulkas reported his baseline was 137 and after was 167 for a net of 30 rwkw. Multiply 30 x 1.38 and you get 41.4 rwhp. I think Tulkas is running the 226/226 and I'm running the new 226/210.

Update - if my calculator is working - Tulkas had an 18% gain. Take the baseline of 252 rwhp Tracy did multiply by 18% and you get 45.36 - mathematically speaking.

That's my GUESS on what we will see - 18 to 19% net gain.
If it can make 18%, hell even 10%, extra power on top of the mods my car has I will absolutely buy this. But that's my question I guess, how sensitive is this mod to other mods? I wouldn't expect an 18% gain on a car that has my mods or more. But Maybe I'm wrong, after all this mod isn't about airflow like the other ones. It's about changing the valve timing.
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

art/ärt/Noun. Definition: 5th generation Camaro.

Last edited by SixCyl; 10-22-2012 at 01:08 PM.
SixCyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #661
Tulkas

Drives: Holden ve sv6 2007 manual
I have before and after dyno graphs to prove the gain but as i said, they showed a 30rwkw gain.

Sixcyl, my car is the ve sv6 which has 195kw at the engine.
On a dyno with a catback, mace insulators and air intake it showed 134rwkw on a rough dyno and then i added headers and cats which it went upto 137rwkw and now with the tune and the big cams it gained 30rwkw. The alloytecs lose more than 15% through the transmission. Would be nice to get aftermarket gears for the gearbox if anyone makes them for the aisin ay6 transmission.
The big cams are are not that good for cruising with speeds lower than 80km/h because the revs are too low due to being bigger duration, but a higher diff ratio will help them become more street drivable.

Last edited by Tulkas; 10-22-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #662
SixCyl

Wow so it did still make quite the increase even with a number of bolt-ons. Yeah, I'm sold.
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #663
Yellow_Glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
Would be nice to get aftermarket gears for the gearbox if anyone makes them for the aisin ay6 transmission.

The big cams are are not that good for cruising with speeds lower than 80km/h because the revs are too low due to being bigger duration, but a higher diff ratio will help them become more street drivable.
Hi Tulkas,

Been looking for internals for the AY6 and haven't found them. There was some discussion on the Toyota forums about someone doing stronger gears / shafts but the places I contacted never developed the gears / shafts. I'll have to check into the carbon synchros mentioned earlier but that's half the solution: solving the 1 to 2 grind which still leaves a limited maximum torque capacity. Since the AY6 is rated at (I think) at only 345 ft lbs, there is still a weak link there. I think the ultimate solution is going to be a tranny swap to a stronger unit - the problem will be mating the input shaft. I haven't found any info on the AY6 input shaft specs so if any knows please speak up.

Hey SixCyl,

Tulkas stated he made 30 rwkw on a rough (low reading) dyno. If you take 30 rwkw and multiply by 1.38 you get 40.5 rwhp - thats doing a straight conversion with all things being equal. Since the VE makes a little less at the wheels than the LLT there is some adjustment there as well. This is theoretical as I don't have prior knowledge and we haven't been back to the dyno so this is a mathematical calculation (read that as the disclaimer - LOL!!).

There is power to be had with the cams. Add heads and the new intake and there is quite a bit of power lurking in the LLT, a lot more than 10% - we just have to coax it out.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #664
SixCyl

Quote:
Hi Tulkas,

Hey SixCyl,

Tulkas stated he made 30 rwkw on a rough (low reading) dyno. If you take 30 rwkw and multiply by 1.38 you get 40.5 rwhp - thats doing a straight conversion with all things being equal. Since the VE makes a little less at the wheels than the LLT there is some adjustment there as well. This is theoretical as I don't have prior knowledge and we haven't been back to the dyno so this is a mathematical calculation (read that as the disclaimer - LOL!!).

There is power to be had with the cams. Add heads and the new intake and there is quite a bit of power lurking in the LLT, a lot more than 10% - we just have to coax it out.

Don't throw your math at me, I get confused. Haha, no but I get what you're saying. I just didn't want to do "ricer" math and say something like "If he got 45 hp, we should too!" Tulka's results are a very rough reference point, but...it's a point none the less.

And what new intake? Tracy's ported IM?

Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #665
Yellow_Glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixCyl View Post
Don't throw your math at me, I get confused. Haha, no but I get what you're saying. I just didn't want to do "ricer" math and say something like "If he got 45 hp, we should too!" Tulka's results are a very rough reference point, but...it's a point none the less.

And what new intake? Tracy's ported IM?
LOL - ok. I'll keep the math simple. If we do ricer math we should make an additional 300 rwhp from the cams alone!

Tracy has a new pattern in the intake called a "golf ball" pattern. I remember hearing years back when I think Titleist added two dimples to a golf ball and the ball flew further than a ball with standard number of dimples. It was enough of an improvement the ball was banned for a couple of years.

It had to do with smoothing the air flow against the surface of the ball to create less resistance. I'm guessing on this but if the same type of pattern were applied internally to a runner in an intake, it would create a micro turbulence against the surface of the wall and smooth and compress the air toward the center creating a faster air flow. Like I said I'm guessing but is is an interesting concept in theory. I'm trying to get Matt to send me some pics and maybe I can get a better explanation at the TCN this weekend.

Similar tricks were used years ago on carbed engines where the intake runners were left rough in certain areas creating turbulence to keep fuel atomized in the intake runners and solve the problems of fuel literally puddling in the low spots in the manifolds. Since the LLT intake manifold and intake ports on the heads are dry, the trick is to manage airflow not just create big ports and runners.

Back in the 60s and 70s, Chevy had heads on small blocks which had 2.02" intake valves, for short track and drag this was the hot setup. Chevy Vortech heads came out and the intake was 1.94" and the new heads increased the velocity of airflow by using smaller diameter runners and a special design in the runners.

Should be interesting to see the complete package.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #666
SixCyl

If we're adding 300 hp, I got my 25 and 50 hp stickers on standby, let's do this.

As far as the intake, I'm glad I held off on buying the ported IM. Will it cost any different than the normal ported IM?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #667
Yellow_Glide

Don't know if the is any cost difference - personally didn't care - it was a must have to go with the new heads.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #668
SixCyl

Quote:
Don't know if the is any cost difference - personally didn't care - it was a must have to go with the new heads.

I will definitely be following Chakita's progress, may end up copying you

Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #669
Glasstop2010RS

Drives: Corvette C6 500 HP
Cams

Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #670
kuzman89

Drives: Ly7
Updates surely?
kuzman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #671
lscamaro