Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #15
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
If I could remember what Ted built my stock blockl with I would be happy to tell you but 1. we're talking over 2 years ago and 2 I wan't paying attention!!

I can tell you that is has taken lots of boost, lots of dyno time, and its fair share of 1/4 passes and is still going strong!!
I thought you blew that thing up..?
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #16
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtar41 View Post
Ask ted whats in yours for me and either PM me or post it in this thread. Your engine is basically what I'm basing mine off of. The right parts combination and spending money that works instead of the biggest and best of everything that doesnt work together. I have alot of faith in these little 376CI motors.

Long story short, my dad built the nastiest little 377CI SBC in his 92 camaro drag car. The car weighed around 2650 with him in it all fiberglass, gutted, and everything the car would 1.29 60ft on the back wheels and run 9.50's at 141mph on the dot every time I cant tell you how many "king of the mountain bracket races" that car won. I remember all of the guys with the biggest and baddest big blocks telling my dad that he uses nitrous because theres no way the car can run that quick with a 377CI SBC. The car was all motor, no power adders it just goes to show what the right combination and spending smart money can do. So thats part of the reason I want to keep the small displacement.

Edit heres a video of his car.

Its simple,its called power to weight,i rather have less weight than have to make more power.A bigger motor will make more power plain and simple.If your boosted a smaller motor has advantages.There are few shelf pistons desighned for boost chose wisely
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
What is the mileage on the motor? You are probably going to want to bore the cylinders out .010" and get oversized pistons if you have more than 20,000 miles on it. It is probably already wore a few thousandths.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I rebuilt mine using the stock crank. I am using compstar rods and wiseco pistons (4.070 bore) so mine is technically a 377. I spent $1100 on my rods and pistons and both were new. I made 825rwhp with a vortech ysi, no meth. I am going to change heads, add a different cam, add meth and smaller blower pulley, retune and see what I can make.

I don't beat on my car very often so I think the engine will last a while.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
How much did it cost you to have the block bored out .010"?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
Its simple,its called power to weight,i rather have less weight than have to make more power.A bigger motor will make more power plain and simple.If your boosted a smaller motor has advantages.There are few shelf pistons desighned for boost chose wisely
Less weight is not really a option for my build. I daily drive the car in the summer and enjoy the comforts of the car. If I was building an all out drag car I would not have started with a 5th gen platform in the first place. Yes a bigger motor will make more power but it is less efficient then the smaller engine. I like the fact my car still gets 25 mpg on the highway. For my goals the smaller displacement fits me just fine and still makes a hell of a lot of power.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I rebuilt mine using the stock crank. I am using compstar rods and wiseco pistons (4.070 bore) so mine is technically a 377. I spent $1100 on my rods and pistons and both were new. I made 825rwhp with a vortech ysi, no meth. I am going to change heads, add a different cam, add meth and smaller blower pulley, retune and see what I can make.

I don't beat on my car very often so I think the engine will last a while.

Thank you, this is the kind of information I'm looking for.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I spent $1900 total on engine assembly and machine work. I supplied all the parts. I installed the long block, trans etc myself. If you are assembling your own engine, I think you could forge your engine for under $3k including machine work as it should only need new bearings and a hone at the least.

I did install head studs but reused the factory bolts on the bottom end. If this engine dies or I get super bored with it, I am going to either an lsx block or getting mine sleeved and going for 440+ cubic inches and the vortech xb110 v21 since it fits into my existing ysi bracketry.

Honestly, 825rwhp is stupid fast for a street car. Much over 600 and its useless unless you are on an open highway. Even then it gets scary when you get going almost 2.5 times the speed limit, or so I have been told.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #23
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
I would use arp everything in the block without a doubt. Even more so since your using the stock crank with a blower. If I was going to make over 800 rwhp I would also pin the mains. The stock crank is a very nice strong piece but you don't want it moving around.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #24
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
New lifters if yours have a good amount of miles. They are cheap to replace while the motor is apart. If they only have a few miles no issues reusing them.

Obviously the rotating assembly needs to be balanced. Cylinders honed/etc for the pistons.
I'm about to rebuild my LS3 with forged internals and blower cam ... Ryne at CMS said exactly the same thing ... Nothing wrong with LS3 lifters however if you're replacing the cam, why not spend the $130 to $140 and fit a set of new LS7 lifters.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
No. Who told you that? It just ran 9.8's on 12/15 and I've been driving on the street since then.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtar41 View Post
Ask ted whats in yours for me and either PM me or post it in this thread. Your engine is basically what I'm basing mine off of. The right parts combination and spending money that works instead of the biggest and best of everything that doesnt work together. I have alot of faith in these little 376CI motors.

Long story short, my dad built the nastiest little 377CI SBC in his 92 camaro drag car. The car weighed around 2650 with him in it all fiberglass, gutted, and everything the car would 1.29 60ft on the back wheels and run 9.50's at 141mph on the dot every time I cant tell you how many "king of the mountain bracket races" that car won. I remember all of the guys with the biggest and baddest big blocks telling my dad that he uses nitrous because theres no way the car can run that quick with a 377CI SBC. The car was all motor, no power adders it just goes to show what the right combination and spending smart money can do. So thats part of the reason I want to keep the small displacement.

Edit heres a video of his car.

Ill see if I can't find the parts list for you. Ill check tonight or tomorrow.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Subscribed!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #28
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
any updates? any decisions? Come one AJ
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote