Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
CTS-V brake upgrade? Front only? Or front and rear?

I've recently been getting geared towards improving my braking/suspension system, and I have my eye set on the JDP Motorsports Stage 1 CTS-V brake upgrade which would just convert the front of my car to a 6 piston,370mm 1 piece rotor setup (unless I do the ZL1 2 piece upgrade).

I have never tracked my car, I do plan on it, but it will only be maybe once a year. I mainly just do spirited street driving. Besides uniformity, would it be beneficial to convert the front and rear, or would just the front suffice?

Edit : Just did some more research and saw that the CTS-V rear brakes are OEM SS brakes. So the only reason to do it would be for uniformity, and to upgrade the rotors, pads, and powdercoat the rears.

Last edited by LS3 SS; 02-25-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: research
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
I think you found your answer. I would just powder coat them all to match and call it a day.. upgrade lines rotors and pads and your ss will stop on a dime piece. Give a review on this after your done. I would be curious to see the difference. It would be awesome if there was a comparison test between stock ss front brembos and the CTS-V fronts. I am a numbers nerd so I always like to see the technical side of it, not just the feel. Good luck!
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I did the CTSV upgrade from JDP and the kit contains everything you need to upgrade the front brakes, rears are the same, so you just need to powdercoat to match...the braking difference is amazing...I was just at a two day track event racing and much better than the stock Brembo's...highly recommend this kit...
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
So Cal,

What rotors/pads did you go with for racing?

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I did the CTSV upgrade from JDP and the kit contains everything you need to upgrade the front brakes, rears are the same, so you just need to powdercoat to match...the braking difference is amazing...I was just at a two day track event racing and much better than the stock Brembo's...highly recommend this kit...
Did you do the Stage I or Stage II upgrade?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
kobSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Only need Stage II if you are LT/v6. Stage II includes the SS/ZL1 OEM Rears.
Pfadt'ed Out Level 4, Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, Pfadt ZL1 Sways, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, CTS-V Brakes, Borla S-Type, Quad Tips, Forgestar 22" F14's (Show), CAI Intake w/ scoop, Rx Catch-Can, AAC Lighting, Showstopper Sidemarkers

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age"

Build Thread
kobSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobSS View Post
Only need Stage II if you are LT/v6. Stage II includes the SS/ZL1 OEM Rears.
Correct, although some people have bought the stage 2 kit for ease of color matching front and rear, and then they also have a full SS kit to sell to a V6 guy.

We have these kits in stock. Feel free to call PM or email us anytime with questions!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
So Cal,

What rotors/pads did you go with for racing?

T.
Not the best pads for this last event, used Hawk HPS on the front and stock brembo pads on the rear...never really an issue on the track for any fading, but the pads could have been better with either the HP+ or DTC's Jordan recommended in the front...I have the ZL1 rotors front and just used the stock set in the rear for now...but want to get lighter weight 2 piece rotors all around.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Stage 1 with ZL1 Rotors....
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Correct, although some people have bought the stage 2 kit for ease of color matching front and rear, and then they also have a full SS kit to sell to a V6 guy.

We have these kits in stock. Feel free to call PM or email us anytime with questions!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Not trying to be funny, but I PM'ed you guys asking about some small instructions on the clutch resevoir kit last week and never got a reply. Needless to say another member helped me and guided me through the install. Otherwise I wouldn't have even made the thread, just looking for a timely response. Maybe I should have PM'ed you instead?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Not trying to be funny, but I PM'ed you guys asking about some small instructions on the clutch resevoir kit last week and never got a reply. Needless to say another member helped me and guided me through the install. Otherwise I wouldn't have even made the thread, just looking for a timely response. Maybe I should have PM'ed you instead?
PM sent
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Not the best pads for this last event, used Hawk HPS on the front and stock brembo pads on the rear...never really an issue on the track for any fading, but the pads could have been better with either the HP+ or DTC's Jordan recommended in the front...I have the ZL1 rotors front and just used the stock set in the rear for now...but want to get lighter weight 2 piece rotors all around.
The tracks I run have highers speeds, Road America and Autobahn, so I run the CarboTech's XP-12F, XP-10R (IIRR, possibly 8's in the rear) after the HPS' failed me. Now I run the HPS on the street and always run the DBA 4000 slotted rotors all around. If you plan on running here in the Midwest at those two this year I highly recommend upgrading to the CarboTech's.

Was this your first event ontrack? If so start a thread and let us know how it went and your opinions on the car and your upgrades.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Yeah, the HPS are specifically that, High Performance Street pads. They outperform the stock pads greatly, but aren't quite cut out for the high demand and high speeds of a race track. I run the Hawk DTC-30 pads with the ZL1 rotors in front, with Hawk HP+ pads and stock rotors in the rear at the track (150+ mph), as well as on the street, and they do very well. A little weak on the street for the first block or two (until they warm a bit), but they are excellent pads, and will take a beating and keep on grabbing.

Feel free to call, email, or PM us anytime!
- Jeremy

P.S. these are my brakes:
Attached Images

JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote