Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #43
H0peful1

Drives: --
OP, you asked for prayer, so you have mine. . Thank God everyone was ok. Always good to hear about a young man working diligently.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #44
BigRedMikeLV

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Metallic 1LE/2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
I wasn't born yesterday and I don't believe your BS. there's no way an Insurance company Quoted $500 a year for a 16 year old in a new Camaro.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 AM   #45
Palutz59
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 1LE soon
Good luck man and you should really be thankful that you weren't hurt in the accident.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #46
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
Really? Pray for insurance rates?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #47
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
i would have been happy paying the $7xx for 6 months when i was 16... i have a clean record, outstanding credit. i pay like 80 a mo (just the camaro) and im 32. and i have 2 other new cars (2011 and 2012) on my policy.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #48
IRAGEandQUIT

Drives: 2014 SSE Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I don't think a 16 year old should be driving a new Camaro, even the V6 model. Additionally, there's no way insurance for you and this car would be anything less than $150-200/m, even on your parents insurance the rates would be pretty pricey.

16 years old in a muscle car = really high risk, so the accident (weather your fault or not) is not a surprise, to me anyway.

What happened to the days where the first time driver got a beater and had prove themselves and "earn the right" to drive something better?

When I was 16 my first car was a 1988 Mercedes 190E, after a few years I got something better.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #49
serialmike

Drives: Camaro 1ls
Listen bud, this is important coming from an elder of sorts. I know you were only going 5 over the speed limit and it does not sound like alot. It is. In the case of your speed limit you were going 20 percent faster than the limit. Very hard to write a fine for but pay attention to the numbers. Even at 50 5 miles an hr over is 10 percent faster.

It is harder to react and it is harder to stop. You might still not avoid an accident by going the speed but you can minimize damage by a whole lot especially if both cars are going the speed limit instead of both cars speeding.

A good example I have of this is here by me we have a road where the speed was 50 and everyone of course did 5 over or more. and there was 2 school bus accidents at an intersection where cars pulled out of a side road in a gulley bottom of a hill area. They reduced the speed to 45 in there and there have been no incidents there since. Not that they can't happen. Accidents and bad things happen its part of life.

You can however lower the risk. Even I at 42 laughed and thought what the hell is 5 mph going to do we need a light here. But I tried it and slowed down and you know what? I realized there is a big difference to the amount of control in reaction ability to move left or right a little on shoulders and stopping ability that will great assist in avoiding accidents. I was amazed at really how much safer I felt thru that area by just 5 mph. It has made me slow down all over.

Another note to this with my 42 yrs of wisdom. I used to drive nothing but cars then for the last ten years I have had trucks. Big ones. They do not stop as fast. At first coming off of cars like camaros jettas and passats and firebirds it is actually unnerving how much stopping power you do not have in a tahoe. Scary even. You quickly stop tailgaiting cause you can kill people including yourself. You just don't think about it unless you have had that viewpoint though.

I don't mean to yell or scold you. Just trying to give you some things to think about that may help you save your life and or the life of others on the road. I am not saying I don't "use the Camaro" now and then but when I do usually the only person I can hurt is myself.

And I hope all goes well so you can afford to keep the Camaro
Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #50
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRAGEandQUIT View Post
I don't think a 16 year old should be driving a new Camaro, even the V6 model. Additionally, there's no way insurance for you and this car would be anything less than $150-200/m, even on your parents insurance the rates would be pretty pricey.

16 years old in a muscle car = really high risk, so the accident (weather your fault or not) is not a surprise, to me anyway.

What happened to the days where the first time driver got a beater and had prove themselves and "earn the right" to drive something better?

When I was 16 my first car was a 1988 Mercedes 190E, after a few years I got something better.

Please be sure to read the thread thoughly before replying.
Nobody asked for information about what you drove or your opinions on kids having these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
That's what I pay ($700+) every 6 months and the car is under my 50 year old father's name...

I'm not sure some of you guys understand insurance.
My car is under my parents name. Why? They bought it. I believe 18 in Texas is the minimum age to have a title in your name.

Insurance doesn't work like that. My car is listed under my parents insurance. HOWEVER, I am still the primary driver of that vehicle. The primary driver will have higher rates than any secondary driver on just about ANY car.

OP all will work out. If insurance goes up, get a job and help pay for it. No need to stress too much. Some insurance companies will give you a discount for taking defensive driving and that will help out weigh the costs if your rates do go up.
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
Old 04-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #51
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
I wasn't born yesterday and I don't believe your BS. there's no way an Insurance company Quoted $500 a year for a 16 year old in a new Camaro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedMikeLV View Post
Maybe you guys should

His dad was being charged $522 per year. This was his dads policy and there's nothing wrong with a 16 year old being on his parents insurance policy. My son had a Jeep and was on my policy until he turned 18 and those rates are right in line with a clean record. Once tickets or accidents happen all bets are off.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #52
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Maybe you guys should

His dad was being charged $522 per year. This was his dads policy and there's nothing wrong with a 16 year old being on his parents insurance policy. My son had a Jeep and was on my policy until he turned 18 and those rates are right in line with a clean record. Once tickets or accidents happen all bets are off.
Thanks for having my back buddy, some people are just ignorant and don't understand I guess... Just like the idiot who stated " a 16 year old shouldn't be driving a camaro" and then later told his life story but what are you gonna do, a camaro is a camaro and a driver is just a driver!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #53
KnuckleBuster
A Virginia Drifter

Drives: Pick-um-up
I just wish I could remember 16.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #54
BigRedMikeLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Maybe you guys should

Ahem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
the way my state farm insurance worked out was was that as long as I didn't get into an accident, I wouldn't have to be put on the insurance
According to this he WASN'T ON HIS DAD'S INSURANCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
there's a slight bit of hope that I still won't have to be put on(I have no clue how it works) but if I am put on it, you may want to sit down, I will have to pay $724 every six month period
Stated he has no clue how his insurance works, and also reiterating he WASN'T ON HIS DAD'S INSURANCE, and was getting quoted if he was to be put on the policy.

From State Farm's site about teens and insurance:

2.) If you are not adding a vehicle, the new teenage driver usually needs to be rated as a primary driver on one of the family vehicles.

Meaning that he has to be listed as a driver and rated per State Farm's policy.

Everything OP has stated thus far has left no indication he was rated. Since the father is listed as the owner, he is listed as the only driver.

I had people in high school do this as well, where they didn't tell the insurance company the kid was driving the vehicle, just got it insured so it could be legally registered (NV needs proof of insurance at registration), so they wouldn't have to pay jacked up teen fees.

NOTHING, I repeat, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been said in this thread that has proven he was legally on the policy. Anytime you have someone driving your car regularly, they need to be listed on the insurance. The only exception to someone not on policy being legally allowed to move the vehicle is if there is some situation where the owner cannot do it themself due to some medical impairment.

Source: Was a policy underwriter for AAA for a time.

Oh, and $750/6mo's is only believable if he is actually on his dad's policy, not on his own.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #55
BigRedMikeLV

Also forgot:

This thread is pretentious as all hell. Stating you did something illegal, and asking for people to pray you don't have consequences and have to pay insurance like everyone else. Like you're special.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #56
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedMikeLV View Post
Also forgot:

This thread is pretentious as all hell. Stating you did something illegal, and asking for people to pray you don't have consequences and have to pay insurance like everyone else. Like you're special.
He was special enough for his parents to spoil him with a brand new car. He must be special in his mind. He should have to pay the full rate. I have to. But I haven't had anyone holding my hand codling me since I was born.
Closed Thread