Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Another reason against EVs

http://t.autos.msn.com/news/electric...epreciate-fast
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Buying used you don't get the $7500 tax credit, take that from the purchase price and you get the high depreciation number. If the cars were worth a damn to begin with, the government wouldn't have to bribe you to buy one in the first place.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I've never particularly cared about predicted residuals as a marker of what makes a good car or bad car. If you own a 2006 Impala, the average value comes down because of all the taxis, rentals, and cop cars ... but on the other hand, the value of privately owned Impalas goes up a little for the exact same reason. I know thats off on a bit of a tangent ... but c'est la vie.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Buying used you don't get the $7500 tax credit, take that from the purchase price and you get the high depreciation number. If the cars were worth a damn to begin with, the government wouldn't have to bribe you to buy one in the first place.
the cars are worth a damn, the problem is the caveman thinking of everyone and the resultant inability to accept change.

the same thinking was seen 100 years ago when gas vehicles first started appearing and replacing the horse and buggy..

oil won't last forever and the concept of alternative powered vehicles needs to grow, it is in the crawling stages now and in 20 years hopefully it will be walking and in 50 running.

I am not saying that electric is the way, there are several ideas out there, and as a consumer the general public gets to beta test the designs so they can be improved, no different than any other product brought to market.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I hate electric vehicles. They need to find another fuel that I can burn.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
I hate electric vehicles. They need to find another fuel that I can burn.

exactly my point.

nothing wrong with electric vehicles if they are done right:

Old 06-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #7
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
the cars are worth a damn, the problem is the caveman thinking of everyone and the resultant inability to accept change.

the same thinking was seen 100 years ago when gas vehicles first started appearing and replacing the horse and buggy..

oil won't last forever and the concept of alternative powered vehicles needs to grow, it is in the crawling stages now and in 20 years hopefully it will be walking and in 50 running.

I am not saying that electric is the way, there are several ideas out there, and as a consumer the general public gets to beta test the designs so they can be improved, no different than any other product brought to market.
Thank you for being the voice of reason. It seems like people feel threaten by ev vehicles
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 AM   #8
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
If EV's don't grow as a technology now, we will be in a world of hurt when fossil fuels start becoming more rare than they are now. Oil is finite, at least on Earth. There are other forms of fuel like Natural Gas that are still plentiful, however too many people don't look past the end of their lives to what's to come.

I'm older and had hoped we would have a footprint in Space by this time. We failed on that, though I still have hope. Other planets have moons with water, methane and other resources we can use in lieu of what we use here on earth.

EV's mean you can find many ways to generate electricity, and not rely on one source (oil).

I think Tesla is doing a good job in producing vehicles that are fun to drive, and get the job done. They don't have unlimited range, however the whole 90 second battery swap is kind of a game changer, in my opinion. Once more infrastructure as far as charging stations are in, I could see electric vehicles in general becoming more popular.

Don't get me wrong...I love gas powered cars, and plan to guzzle some more gas. Gas prices in general are going to continue to rise, so having something else that is efficient will be necessary in the future.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
. If the cars were worth a damn to begin with, the government wouldn't have to bribe you to buy one in the first place.
Amen !
Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
OK, this is going to be longish, so bear with me.

My problems with EV's lies in the fact that resources are being forced into the development of these vehicles by state and federal governments. EV's still require fossil fuels to operate as their charging comes off the grid powered by coal, oil, or natural gas. Hydro, nuke, solar, and wind make up a minority of the total world output of energy such that they really don't make much of a dent in CO2 emissions. Solar and wind energy have promising growth potential, but still need to be backed up with conventional powerplants to cover cloudy days and still winds.

So, now we buy our EV, and we still have to buy a conventional or hybrid to take any trips outside of the cars range. So we are doubling the environmental footprint of the EV on the supply side, making it even less environmentally friendly. And I won't even get into the disposal side of the batteries.

I am a firm believer that the market will dictate what manufacturers produce, and if left alone would find the best answer to dwindling supplies of fossil fuels. Energy policies set by whomever donates to the winning candidate are not going to get the best end result. Government demanding you build EV's will result in better, more efficient EV's, but could blind industry to a different solution that is better.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
OK, this is going to be longish, so bear with me.

My problems with EV's lies in the fact that resources are being forced into the development of these vehicles by state and federal governments. EV's still require fossil fuels to operate as their charging comes off the grid powered by coal, oil, or natural gas. Hydro, nuke, solar, and wind make up a minority of the total world output of energy such that they really don't make much of a dent in CO2 emissions. Solar and wind energy have promising growth potential, but still need to be backed up with conventional powerplants to cover cloudy days and still winds. Solar, Tide and Wind generation is pretty insignificant...and will continue to be a pie in the sky technology.

So, now we buy our EV, and we still have to buy a conventional or hybrid to take any trips outside of the cars range. So we are doubling the environmental footprint of the EV on the supply side, making it even less environmentally friendly. And I won't even get into the disposal side of the batteries.

I am a firm believer that the market will dictate what manufacturers produce, and if left alone would find the best answer to dwindling supplies of fossil fuels. Energy policies set by whomever donates to the winning candidate are not going to get the best end result. Government demanding you build EV's will result in better, more efficient EV's, but could blind industry to a different solution that is better.
One of the issues with our power grid is that we ARE still using coal & petroleum for a large part of it.

We have a lot of Hydro here in the Pacific Northwest. Probably one of our most effecient and cleanest ways to generate power. That's limited, and most waterways that can be dammed have been already.

I'm a huge believer in nuclear power. As with many technologies, there are some solutions out there which could replace the traditional fossil fuels we use now...over time.

I posted a long time ago about Hyperion, and this type of safer "nuclear" power is something that could be rolled out fairly easily. So we do have options as gas prices go up. Coal is plentiful, but relatively "dirty" as far as it's impact on the environment.

http://www.gen4energy.com/

Last edited by Steve Dallas; 06-24-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Steve Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I actually like EV's.....I have one in my garage......its my GOLF CART!!

and it's JUICED and hauls a$$! lol

Old 06-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
Cool.. another mouth piece article for the Oil Companies. Hey oil Companies.. if U want to kill the Electric car lower your effin gas prices back to 1999 prices. With the return to larger SUVs your profits won't blink and your sustainability UNTIL the juice runs out will be assured.

If the Volt had of been out when I got my DD Camaro I would be driving a Volt.
Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmicasa the Great XvX View Post
Cool.. another mouth piece article for the Oil Companies. Hey oil Companies.. if U want to kill the Electric car lower your effin gas prices back to 1999 prices. With the return to larger SUVs your profits won't blink and your sustainability UNTIL the juice runs out will be assured.

If the Volt had of been out when I got my DD Camaro I would be driving a Volt.
So trade it in and buy one. Then you can go talk about gas mileage and saving the environment on a Volt forum.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote