Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #29
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Keep telling yourself that.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #30
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Keep telling yourself that.
Hey I know you love GM, as do I, but I'm calling a spade a spade. The XTS isn't a competitive product.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #31
FenwickHockey65

It's MORE than competitive. Is it the flagship sedan Cadillac needs? No, but again, it's something to position at the top of the lineup until that vehicle is ready. There's no reason to give up 2500 sales/month over the course of 6-7 years.

A lot of you are suffering from this delusion that every Cadillac needs to be a rip-your-face-off CTS-V. That's not the case at all. The vast majority of Cadillacs (and EVERY luxury make) sold is typically a mid-level trim.

Here's the thing: When XTS debuted, EVERYONE was skeptical, saying it wasn't what Cadillac should be building. Fast forward to the first media drives and initial reviews, and everyone changed their opinions. Why? Because despite its FWD drivetrain, it ushered in new exterior and interior designs and technology that you now see on ATS and CTS. And when people actually got into the driver's seat, they found the FWD-based platform to be mostly a non-issue especially with GM's torque steer management innovations.

So is XTS a CTS-V? No. It's not an ATS either. But there are PLENTY of luxury customers out there who simply want a large, luxurious, and comfortable sedan, and XTS fits that bill well.

Plus, you're forgetting that with the demise of the Town Car, the livery market is now wide open, and Lincoln's attempt at using the MKT has mostly been laughed at by that industry.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #32
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Is this new XTS going to do AWD? I doubt it, but I'm curious...
Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #33
FenwickHockey65

Yes. AWD has always been an option with the LFX, but all XTS Vsports are AWD.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #34
mikeyg36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It's MORE than competitive. Is it the flagship sedan Cadillac needs? No, but again, it's something to position at the top of the lineup until that vehicle is ready. There's no reason to give up 2500 sales/month over the course of 6-7 years.

A lot of you are suffering from this delusion that every Cadillac needs to be a rip-your-face-off CTS-V. That's not the case at all. The vast majority of Cadillacs (and EVERY luxury make) sold is typically a mid-level trim.

Here's the thing: When XTS debuted, EVERYONE was skeptical, saying it wasn't what Cadillac should be building. Fast forward to the first media drives and initial reviews, and everyone changed their opinions. Why? Because despite its FWD drivetrain, it ushered in new exterior and interior designs and technology that you now see on ATS and CTS. And when people actually got into the driver's seat, they found the FWD-based platform to be mostly a non-issue especially with GM's torque steer management innovations.

So is XTS a CTS-V? No. It's not an ATS either. But there are PLENTY of luxury customers out there who simply want a large, luxurious, and comfortable sedan, and XTS fits that bill well.

Plus, you're forgetting that with the demise of the Town Car, the livery market is now wide open, and Lincoln's attempt at using the MKT has mostly been laughed at by that industry.
I don't expect a CTS-V, but I do expect a great driver's car. BMW, Audi, and MBs all make great drivers cars. The ATS and CTS fit that formula, but the XTS doesn't. Hell even the S class is a decent driver's car, and that's the MB luxury flagship.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #35
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I can't wait to drive an XTS Vsport! The normal XTS doesn't even drive like a 'big car', so I wonder what the extra oomph will do?!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #36
FenwickHockey65

Again, it's a comfortable, luxurious full size sedan. That's the role it fills. You really think S-class or 7-series owners are taking their cars to the track every week? No, the vast majority just want a big luxury car. That's all.

As for the RWD vs FWD debate, I'd be willing to bet most people don't even realize or care which set of wheels drive their car. As evidenced by an article a few years back about BMW 1-series owners swearing up and down they owned FWD cars.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmicasa the Great XvX View Post
Have at it...

King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #38
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
A nice interior isn't worth the money that it costs over the Impala. The Impala is the best car in its segment while the XTS doesn't even have a segment. It's the typical old GM way of thinking. The only thing they got right on this car is the interior. They should have canned the DTS and not put anything in its place. If it isn't worth building, don't build it at all. Kind of like that shitty van thing that chevy is making.

Let's see.
Price-MB
Interior-Tie
Exterior-MB (opinion)
Powertrain-MB with a 7 speed auto and a TT V8
Cool factor-MB
Handling-MB
The E550 blows this car out of the water in every way possible. The handling is probably the biggest factor since it's AWD on a RWD based platform. Plus with the MB you get a much better dealer network with real luxury dealerships that aren't attached to horrible Chevy dealerships. When it's time for service MB excellent since you don't have these moron Chevy techs working on it. In terms of reliability I believe MB was the highest rated German manufacturer on the last JD power test. I know it's close to Cadillac, but I'm not sure which one ranked higher. This car doesn't make any sense at all. I want Caddy to do well, but this car is just a failure. Stick to making cars like the CTS and ATS.
Sorry Bud... I think U're wrong.. and so does about 30K (based on last year's figures and Jan-May figures) buyers of the splendid XTS. In truth U need to get your mind right... Your issue with the car is which wheels are being powered in standard trim.. ADMIT IT.

Let's see

Price: Your pick of teh Benz is laughable. While the difference is $2K less for the smaller E550, the XTS comes with damn near an S-Class's worth in amenities. Not to mention that extra size.. better tech.. and reliability which is worth a whole lot more.

Interior-Tie? Get the Eff Outta here. Cadillac decimates the Benz in interior quality. The E550's interior looks like something that should actually come in the 2014 IMPALA.. funny in fact that the IMPALA has an air of more quality about it.. let alone the XTS donor

Exterior-MB (opinion)??? NOPE.. JUST WRONG. Flat out wrong. This is not objectivity.. it's just WRONG. The XTS is better looking

Powertrain-MB with a 7 speed auto and a TT V8.. Really? I've driven the E550.. The car is 4500lbs and needs every bit of that 400HP and 443lbs of torque to move its fat ass. I have a strange feeling that the XTS TTV6 is gonna pull down similar numbers despite less torque...

Cool factor-MB.? To Who.. I see as many OLD people driving the E-Class as I do XTS.. In fact I would venture to say MORE. The XTS gets heads turning.. the Benz... about as common looking as a Camry

Handling-MB.. On this I will not fight U as I simple have not tested them BACK to BACK. But after driving a CTS-V for the last 5 years.. I have a great deal of faith in Cadillac to do a damn great job in that regard
Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #39
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
U kno its true. "German engineering... Good until the Warranty is up"
Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #40
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
U kno its true. "German engineering... Good until the Warranty is up"
do we need to go through the wonder years of the northstar engine with caddy
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #41
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
do we need to go through the wonder years of the northstar engine with caddy
Nope... because I'm talking about RIGHT NOW.. or even Cadillac from 2005- 2013.. The NS, had issue, but is was literally GM's first foray into that level of advanced DOHC powertrains.. especially in terms of V8s. Personally I could never understand why they needed it after the '97 LS1 was introed.

BMW has been shitty in terms of reliability since DAY ONE. They are marginally better than Audi..
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #42
mikeyg36

Quote:
Sorry Bud... I think U're wrong.. and so does about 30K (based on last year's figures and Jan-May figures) buyers of the splendid XTS. In truth U need to get your mind right... Your issue with the car is which wheels are being powered in standard trim.. ADMIT IT.

Let's see

Price: Your pick of teh Benz is laughable. While the difference is $2K less for the smaller E550, the XTS comes with damn near an S-Class's worth in amenities. Not to mention that extra size.. better tech.. and reliability which is worth a whole lot more.

Interior-Tie? Get the Eff Outta here. Cadillac decimates the Benz in interior quality. The E550's interior looks like something that should actually come in the 2014 IMPALA.. funny in fact that the IMPALA has an air of more quality about it.. let alone the XTS donor

Exterior-MB (opinion)??? NOPE.. JUST WRONG. Flat out wrong. This is not objectivity.. it's just WRONG. The XTS is better looking

Powertrain-MB with a 7 speed auto and a TT V8.. Really? I've driven the E550.. The car is 4500lbs and needs every bit of that 400HP and 443lbs of torque to move its fat ass. I have a strange feeling that the XTS TTV6 is gonna pull down similar numbers despite less torque...

Cool factor-MB.? To Who.. I see as many OLD people driving the E-Class as I do XTS.. In fact I would venture to say MORE. The XTS gets heads turning.. the Benz... about as common looking as a Camry

Handling-MB.. On this I will not fight U as I simple have not tested them BACK to BACK. But after driving a CTS-V for the last 5 years.. I have a great deal of faith in Cadillac to do a damn great job in that regard
You're clueless