Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
KlugSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post
90% of your engine wear is startup until the time the car is up to temp (all the engine tolerances are off). 160* thermostat ensures the car takes longer to come up to temp by opening the themostat before tha car is up to operating tempurature.

It's a bandaid at best for cooling issues that dramatically reduces your available engine life.
Factory and 160 degree thermostat will warm up the exact same up to 160. My water temp sets at 185 which is fine and won't cause excessive wear. My fan settings are aggressive so I could keep the water warmer if I was worried about it.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc1980 View Post
awesome, thats good info, anyone make a good aftermarket oil cooler??
I haven't done mine yet but I'm most likely going with this adapter
http://www.improvedracing.com/cooler...80f-p-209.html and I know fluidyne makes excellent coolers. Basically you'll need to piece it together, I don't know of anyone making a kit. I plan on getting a large cooler, but have it thermostatically controlled. Too low of oil temp isn't good either. I'd like it to stay right around 200-210.

Hopefully this will also slightly lower water temps too since it won't be trying to cool that 270* oil like it does now.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
willc1980

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
I haven't done mine yet but I'm most likely going with this adapter
http://www.improvedracing.com/cooler...80f-p-209.html and I know fluidyne makes excellent coolers. Basically you'll need to piece it together, I don't know of anyone making a kit. I plan on getting a large cooler, but have it thermostatically controlled. Too low of oil temp isn't good either. I'd like it to stay right around 200-210.

Hopefully this will also slightly lower water temps too since it won't be trying to cool that 270* oil like it does now.
so you would use that and some line to a small radiator and find a place to mount it behind the coolant radiator??
willc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc1980 View Post
so you would use that and some line to a small radiator and find a place to mount it behind the coolant radiator??
Yes, something like this http://www.fluidyne.com/products_oil-coolers.html attached with -AN lines, but you want the cooler in front of the radiator as close to it as possible (back to back) to reduce turbulence. Turbulence kills the amount of airflow through the cores.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post
90% of your engine wear is startup until the time the car is up to temp (all the engine tolerances are off). 160* thermostat ensures the car takes longer to come up to temp by opening the themostat before tha car is up to operating tempurature.

It's a bandaid at best for cooling issues that dramatically reduces your available engine life.

Revving the engine to redline, drag racing, high performance driving days, headers, tune, cold air intakes, high lift cams, superchargers, 3.91 gears, hammering the brakes into a corner, burn outs, popping the clutch, drag radials and 160 degree thermostats will all cause premature wear to your automobile. I am either guilty or want to be guilty of abusing me beloved Camaro in all of these ways.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
KlugSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
Revving the engine to redline, drag racing, high performance driving days, headers, tune, cold air intakes, high lift cams, superchargers, 3.91 gears, hammering the brakes into a corner, burn outs, popping the clutch, drag radials and 160 degree thermostats will all cause premature wear to your automobile. I am either guilty or want to be guilty of abusing me beloved Camaro in all of these ways.
haha... You honestly have a very good point.