Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Talking Installed Vmax Ported TB today, Iceolator soon to come!

So I've been kicking it around for a really long time, but I finally pulled the trigger on the Vmax ported TB. I got it, as well as the Black Iceolator, from Phil at Tampa Tuning. By the way, Phil is great to work with!

I got the Vmax ported TB and put it on the car today. First impressions are still kinda fuzzy - it's rainy and wet out so I'm a little light on the throttle - you know, for safety. It does feel smoother overall, the little lag/lurch when shifting and starting out doesn't seem to be there anymore which is a huge improvement. I'm still feeling it out, but it definitely is not snake-oil. I'll update later on with more details, and I'll add my thoughts on the iceolator as well. Maybe I can convince someone else who is still on the fence about them.

Had a couple concerns initially:
Immediately after installing and plugging it back in, I got a "Service Stabilitrak" light upon startup. I shut it down, took off the negative terminal, and tried again. Still got it at first but it went away quickly. I have a CEL locked in due to the evap solenoid (p0449) so I'm not sure if there's a different code on top of it, but it drives normally.

My other concern was the condition of the throttle body I pulled off. The blade was pretty dirty! I'm just under 60k miles, *most* of which have been with a K&N intake, catch can and breather cap. I put somewhere between 4k and 10k on the car bone stock before any mods, and I don't think I cleaned the TB or anything when I first put the intake or catch can on. Could be residual build-up, but we'll see how the valves look when I take the intake apart next week.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
terry_b

And here is a pic of the throttle body:
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Grats on the mods. Do you notice a change in throttle response?
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
And here is a pic of the throttle body:
When you put your K&N on, did you happen to notice if there was a lot of oil/gunk inside the stock air intake tube, from where the clean side PCV hose attached to it?

I had some in mine, and my TB was dirty, though not as dirty as yours.

Be careful with that RX breather. The checkvalves in them have been an issue for some people, and can cause vacuum issues that could damage engine seals. I took mine off and put the stock clean side PCV tube back on for that reason.

Also, make sure your K&N isn't over oiled. That can cause dirty intake issues, including soiling your MAF sensor.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Most of the time unplugging the TB you will get a cel should clear itself,
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
terry_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
Grats on the mods. Do you notice a change in throttle response?
Yes, definitely a change in throttle response. Pedal feels lighter, more sensitive for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
When you put your K&N on, did you happen to notice if there was a lot of oil/gunk inside the stock air intake tube, from where the clean side PCV hose attached to it?

I had some in mine, and my TB was dirty, though not as dirty as yours.

Be careful with that RX breather. The checkvalves in them have been an issue for some people, and can cause vacuum issues that could damage engine seals. I took mine off and put the stock clean side PCV tube back on for that reason.

Also, make sure your K&N isn't over oiled. That can cause dirty intake issues, including soiling your MAF sensor.
The stock air tube was pretty oily when I took it off so the clean side is definitely sucking some oil.

As far as the breather, I sent RX an email about it - the filter itself was very oily, a common occurrence it seems. RX offered to buy back the breather if I ordered one of their 1LE clean side separators. So that's what I did : 1LE separator was $99 (-$39 for the breather cap = $60). Had a Synergy green catch can, now I have a cleanside side separator to match . If you've got a breather, I recommend shooting them an email. They seem to have some bad press on here but honestly, I have had nothing but positive experiences with both Mike and Tracy. I've got the stock clean side tube on right now, was looking for a different size fitting for the 1LE tube. I'll post a pic up of that when I get it on.

I cleaned the K&N not too long ago, no code then, but it probably wouldn't hurt to spray some MAF cleaner on it.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Told you it would be a fun improvement!

How its works it the heat of the block builds and heats up the air in the intake. Since you cant tune the LLTs, you add the ICEOlator from Tampa Tuning and it keeps the intake temperature lower because of the aluminum intake, thus having less IAT spark reduction. $280 for the throttle body and ICEOlator combo and your off to the races.

The LFX just needs the Vmax throttle body from Tampa Tuning and not the spacer because the manifold is plastic already and the vehicle can be tuned.

Just makes the car more fun.
Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice-olator, llt v6, ported throttle body, vmax