Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out4it View Post
I think I know what you mean. Please post pics so I can confirm. You've helped me before Pete,no reason to doubt you now.
Here are the pics of the MC Cap orientation and the components I used for the fix.

The plastic Shim I used is the bottom of a milk container, and is .053" inches thick. The sides are only about .021" and if you used three the MC cap will not fit, if you use two it will still leak, and so this is the best solution I found. Take the rubber gasket out of the MC Cap and trace it on the bottom of the platic milk container. I used an Exacto knife to cut it out, and you want the shim to be a bit smaller to fit into the cap. Make sure the shim sits flat in the bottom of the MC Cap.

Here is a pic of the completed shim installed in the cap.

These are all the components of the fix. The hardest part was cutting out the shim to match the tabs on the underside of the MC Cap. Reinstall the rubber gasket with the shim in place, and orientate the MC Cap as shown in the first pic.

Any questions PM me.
Attached Images

3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
Out4it
Banned

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Thanks man. I just did this but used the side. OK will remake. Thanks for the pics!!
Out4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
Out4it
Banned

ok redid it. Fits a lot tighter. (and thats a good thing!) Lets see if it works correctly. I know the method does,but I want to see if I did it correctly. Then on to repaint my cover. Thanks GearHeadPeter!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out4it View Post
ok redid it. Fits a lot tighter. (and thats a good thing!) Lets see if it works correctly. I know the method does,but I want to see if I did it correctly. Then on to repaint my cover. Thanks GearHeadPeter!
No problem. That is what Camro5 is all about, helping each other. Post pics of the painted cover.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
I read some where on this forum that the problem is that cap used on the combined brake/clutch reservoir (M6 only obviously) is really only good as a brake cap. The clutch will bubble up the fluid which can cause it to leak out of the cap. The cap used on the clutch reservoir for the G8 has a totally different style cap. A few people have separated the brake and clutch reservoirs to avoid cross contamination of clutch dust and brake fluid. That mod would fix this issue for those with manuals. I'm waiting for my clutch reservoir to show up and I'll be doing that mod on my car. I'm doing it because of the clutch dust issue, but I have a painted box on my break reservoir which I don't want ruined by brake fluid as well.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
rickerda

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
A friend had the 2 right calibers replaced due to a leak.
rickerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
Out4it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickerda View Post
A friend had the 2 right calibers replaced due to a leak.
In the reservior? I believe thats what we were talking about.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
I Finally made an additional gasket that fits under the rubber of the cap. I took the bottom out of a plastic gallon milk container and made the gasket to fit. Just the right height, and if you put the cap on so the DOT3 faces the drivers fender it fits even better.
Thanks... this sounds like a good idea (i.e. better than having the dealer replace another cap).

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #23
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
I have rarely seen a 5th gen that does not have a leaky cap. All years. It is a common cap across GM and leaks on plenty of models.

When i was at LMR a few months back and they were showing off their goods to us. I made a suggestion to them to simply make and offer a cheap non leaking cap. They could sell a ton of them for cheap. I pointed out that their own car on display had a leaky cap as well lol.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #24
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
Thanks... this sounds like a good idea (i.e. better than having the dealer replace another cap).
For sure, and I was on my 3rd cap. Got tired of it leaking, and did not want it to ruin the paint. Easy fix and takes about 15 minutes.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #25
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
When i was at LMR a few months back and they were showing off their goods to us. I made a suggestion to them to simply make and offer a cheap non leaking cap.
I have to wonder why GM can't do the same...

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #26
Cabrera
Freightrain Coming Ur Way

Drives: V8-1968 & V6-2000 & V6 2010 Camaros
Resurrecting this thread a bit...

Thank you very much, I just this and fixed the leak.

Question is, when I removed the inner rubber gasket, I noticed a tear/rip/slice on the middle part about 2mm in length. (I've circled in yellow where its at)

Although my instincts tell me this is not right, thought I'd check with you guys just in case that is actually suppose to be there for some strange reason... or do I need to replace the cap due to this?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #27
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
There is a TSB out that calls for the replacement of the cap and reservoir. Replacing the cap alone will not fix the issue.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #28
Cabrera
Freightrain Coming Ur Way

Drives: V8-1968 & V6-2000 & V6 2010 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
There is a TSB out that calls for the replacement of the cap and reservoir. Replacing the cap alone will not fix the issue.

Oh, car is over 3 years, is something like this covered by GM?