Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Will the Camaro have NAV/Does it need to have NAV?
Yes/Yes - It will have a NAV system and Needs One 26 23.42%
Yes/No - It will have a NAV system but does not Need One 43 38.74%
No/Yes - It will not have a NAV system but Needs One 13 11.71%
No/No - It will not have a NAV system and does not Need One 29 26.13%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
BigZAJ

Drives: 2007 Z06 Black
Does the Camaro NEED Nav??

Does the new Camaro need to have a NAV option to make it relevant in todays world? Both the Mustang and Challenger have available Navigation with Color LCD displays.

Having owned many GM vehicles in the past few years Onstar is not a competitive option to a fully interactive navi system. Chevrolet did not feel the need to put NAV in the new Malibu to compete with Toyota and Honda, will they put NAV in the Camaro to show it offers everything the Mustang and Challenger offer and much much more?
BigZAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Sphinx002

Drives: .
Do a search, I already answered this. GM is integrating Nav into most new cars. The Malibu was on the Epsilon platform which has issues integrating the Nav system, so they held off till the Epsilon 2 version comes around. However GM has upgraded Onstar to work with a real screen based nav system. The Zeta cars all have a Nav option in other countries, and it is expected that next years G8 will have it here in the states. There were issues with the G8's Aussie nav system here in the states (so rumors say).

Having said that, there is no reason for the Camaro not to have it. The zeta platform is made for it. The Onstar turn by turn has been upgraded to incorporate features with it, and as you mentioned, the competition already has it. I'd venture to say I'm over 95% sure the Camaro will have it as an option.
Sphinx002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
CedarHillCamaro

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS 2010 Camaro(12/09!!)
I dont know if it will have one, but I would sure like to have the bells and whistles.
CedarHillCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think it will but won't be looking to have one in mine. Half of the fun getting somewhere is finding it

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
BigZAJ

I understand what you are saying Sphinx, but the design of the dashboard does not really lend itself to a NAV system. It looks as tho even a pop-up NAV like the one on the new CTS might have issue with the Climate Controls and lack of height in that area to make room for gauges in the bottom of the center console.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Sphinx002

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ View Post
I understand what you are saying Sphinx, but the design of the dashboard does not really lend itself to a NAV system. It looks as tho even a pop-up NAV like the one on the new CTS might have issue with the Climate Controls and lack of height in that area to make room for gauges in the bottom of the center console.
Yeah I know. I've been wondering the same thing - where are they going to put it. However, we've already heard that there are "surprises" on the options list, and I believe that this is one of them.
Sphinx002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
I think that in today's world, we need NAV. I think it's sad that it is that way, but people just don't like maps, or having to ask for directions. I think nav is the worst possible option in any vehicle being that it costs around $2,000. I would rather put that $2,000 in a killer exhaust system.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Is there any updates for european countries on these Chevy systems?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
I think that in today's world, we need NAV. I think it's sad that it is that way, but people just don't like maps, or having to ask for directions. I think nav is the worst possible option in any vehicle being that it costs around $2,000. I would rather put that $2,000 in a killer exhaust system.

+1! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
I won't have one in mine. Why spend the $2000 on a NAV system when I can buy a decent aftermarket one for less money and take it with me in any vehicle I'm in?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
i honestly believe we wont get a nav offering... which is a shame... i would really love to have one on this car and see it as an option... but with the recent spy pics and by looking at the interior setup.... i dont see a place for it anywhere...unless its a popup nav.

if its offerred... and its a decent enough nav system.... i will pay for it simply because i want to retain stock looks even tho aftermarket systems are better.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think it will have a nav system of some sort, beyond the voice turn by turn that onstar has (which would be sufficient for me). I don't want any sort of nav screen though. I can get where I am going with a paper map. If the Camaro comes with the little turn by turn arrows (very likely in my opinion) would be great. Even better would be arrows on a heads up display, to me that would be the best possible nav system. No its not an 8 inch full colour LCD screen mounted in the middle of the car that scrolls in sync with the car. It shows you where you need to turn, when you need to turn. Simple, effective, no need to look away, and nearly fool proof. To me, an LCD screen is a map that you can't get a really good look at. BUT there are lots and lots of people who love such screens. Some find them better to use than maps. Others are equally incapable of using either and merely like technology
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
BigZAJ

Well this isnt meant to be a debate between in dash NAV and something like a GARMIN. GARMIN and similar NAVs are awesome, and I have used them. But I also enjoy a Touch Screen interface for Radio, CD, Multimedia, etc. in a vehicle. I also do not want to have something stuck on my while driving.

And for those who dont want NAV, I respect that and say save money and dont order it. But the question is SHOULD it have NAV in order to explore all possible markets, meaning that people who will pay $2000 for NAV just to have it.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Touch screen would be pretty cool. I'm not a techy' person but think little options like those would go farther to attract a bigger audience and boost sales a little more. Having more options just make it a better car. I just hope they don't lump it into other packages like so many companies are doing nowadays...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"