Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #197
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I sent them an email about mine. They were more than happy to help, the best "fix" is to just move to the 1LE style separator on the clean side. They offered to buy back my breather at sale price when I bought the 1LE style. So far I like it.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #198
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Those of us with a Vararam can't run a 1LE style separator. Still wondering how pgustavson's Vararam mod worked out with his fuel trims . . .
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #199
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
I doubt RX has done or will do anything. Tracy is now using less of the building he has been in for the past 18 mos. Not exactly a good sign.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #200
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Those of us with a Vararam can't run a 1LE style separator. Still wondering how pgustavson's Vararam mod worked out with his fuel trims . . .
Sorry that I have never updated that...I just haven't made the time. So far so good; I have not had any issues to date. I need to pull the clean side line from the Vararam and check for any oil, but I don't expect there to be any. The long-term fuel trims are stable on my car now, but that may have more to do with me not leaving the drain valve on my catch can open Interestingly, I never noticed any running issues and no codes were thrown with the valve wide open.

Anyway, the mod was pretty simple - I drilled a hole between the MAF port and the corner of the Vararam "snout", tapped it 1/8NPT, installed a barbed tubing fitting and connected the OEM clean-side line. In the pis above, it looks like the fitting is above the MAF - and it is - but it is located at a point after the air exits the sensor. The 1LE set-up could easily be added this way, but $150 to buy an OEM one is mighty whack, and I won't trust an Rx version. But then again, $40 for the Rx oil cap breather is pretty f-d as well. Which reminds me - anyone interested in a used Rx breather... When I get home from my trip next week, I'll try to make the time to dig up the pics I took and post them up. It might take some patience and a few PMs to see it actually happen, but miracles do happen...
Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #201
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
Sorry that I have never updated that...I just haven't made the time. So far so good; I have not had any issues to date. I need to pull the clean side line from the Vararam and check for any oil, but I don't expect there to be any. The long-term fuel trims are stable on my car now, but that may have more to do with me not leaving the drain valve on my catch can open Interestingly, I never noticed any running issues and no codes were thrown with the valve wide open.

Anyway, the mod was pretty simple - I drilled a hole between the MAF port and the corner of the Vararam "snout", tapped it 1/8NPT, installed a barbed tubing fitting and connected the OEM clean-side line. In the pis above, it looks like the fitting is above the MAF - and it is - but it is located at a point after the air exits the sensor. The 1LE set-up could easily be added this way, but $150 to buy an OEM one is mighty whack, and I won't trust an Rx version. But then again, $40 for the Rx oil cap breather is pretty f-d as well. Which reminds me - anyone interested in a used Rx breather... When I get home from my trip next week, I'll try to make the time to dig up the pics I took and post them up. It might take some patience and a few PMs to see it actually happen, but miracles do happen...
I'm planning to do the same mod as you on my Vararam.
Could you post some close-up pictures of your install ? It will help a lot of us facing the issue with un-metered air .

Thanks a lot !
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #202
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon670 View Post
Could you post some close-up pictures of your install ? It will help a lot of us facing the issue with un-metered air .

Thanks a lot !
I'm anxious to hear more about this mod as well!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #203
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon670 View Post

Thanks a lot !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
I'm anxious to hear more about this mod as well!
I'll post a new thread sometime later today...

EDIT: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...01#post7317101

Last edited by pgustavson; 01-07-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added link
pgustavson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #204
adz817

Drives: 2010 CGM 1LT Camaro
Been away for awhile, but looks like I missed some stuff. I too have the Vararam, but with no catch can. I got the RX Breather to solve/get rid of the "whistle" sound I had when I was at idle... which I got only after the Vararam was installed becase the breather that came with it was the cause of the sound. So i capped the outlet from which the breather was attached and added the RX Breather. Though now I have oil residue/"spillage" around the RX breather. The RX breather is soaked in oil as you'll get some come off if the filter is touched. I havent had any issues just worried this may cause some later on down the road, and now I have an oily engine cover.

So should I attempt the mod pgustavson has done or replace the RX Breather with the one that came with the Vararam???

Last edited by adz817; 01-13-2014 at 10:51 PM.
adz817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #205
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
I removed mine,the valve would stick causing oil pressure to build up.eventuality i blame it for causing my oil cooling gasket to leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz817 View Post
Been away for awhile, but looks like I missed some stuff. I too have the Vararam, but with no catch can. I got the RX Breather to solve/get rid of the "whistle" sound I had when I was at idle... which I got only after the Vararam was installed becase the breather that came with it was the cause of the sound. So i capped the outlet from which the breather was attached and added the RX Breather. Though now I have oil residue/"spillage" around the RX breather. The RX breather is soaked in oil as you'll get some come off if the filter is touched. I havent had any issues just worried this may cause some later on down the road, and now I have an oily engine cover.

So I attempted the mod pgustavson has done or replace the RX Breather with the one that came with the Vararam???
Old 05-10-2014, 02:49 AM   #206
wadew2lt
U.S. Army Veteran

Drives: 2LT/RS SGM M6 Polished 20's
So what's the answer NOW?

Vararam intake...with Rx catch can!

Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #207
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
yes, that's what I have on mine and no issues anymore:

Vararam intake / RX catch can and use the Vararam Breather, not the RX.
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote