Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #15877
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeokie View Post
Sure, come on by!

Fayetteville and Peachtree City are both nice...don't know how it would be for someone younger. Depends on what you like. I live on the opposite side of town, so I can't really give you too much info!
This is helpful though! Thanks for the help. Hopefully more chime in!

Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #15878
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
So.... because Washington State (Seahawks) and Colorado (Broncos) are playing in the big game this year and both enacted new laws this year...... will they call it the Pot Bowl?
Old 02-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #15879
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Getting together to do a Super Bowl.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #15880
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlux View Post
This is helpful though! Thanks for the help. Hopefully more chime in!

I grew up in the Jonesboro/Fayetteville/McDonough area until I was 21. Moved up to NE Ga about 7 years ago. Anyway, Fayetteville used to be a really nice area (no offense to anyone that still lives there), now there is ALOT of crime there. I know crime is everywhere, but it's just unreal down there. Most of the folks that I knew that lived there while growing up, well as you can see the past tense, no longer do. Peachtree City is a nice area, but tends to be the retirement community for pilots lol. Be prepared to buy a golf cart if you move to PTC as that is a trending thing there. They have bridges and paths throughout the city for the golf carts so people can get anywhere they need without having to waste gas in their cars. With both of those areas it's all in where you live. There are still really nice neighborhoods that would probably suit your needs.

Be prepared when moving to the metro area, as you probably have seen this past week, most don't know how to handle the snow/ice lol
Old 02-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #15881
OK2DRUL
ace5.org (Atlanta Club)

Drives: 2010 Black/IOM 2SS LS3
Quote:
New Jersey transplant likely moving to Atlanta area! Some may remember - probably not - but last year this time I almost made the move to Atlanta for a job. That job fell through (lowballed).

But now I have the opportunity to make it again!

Wondering what everyone thinks of the areas within commuting distance of East Point (South West Atlanta). I liked the Fayettevile area the last time I was there.

Single - white - male - mid 20's. Looking to buy a house.

Let me know what everyone thinks of the areas around!
Everything depends on what type of lifestyle you're going to be looking for. Neither Fayetteville nor Peachtree City are going to be your speed if you like to go out and have a pretty active social life. Fayetteville like SlowSS said is a higher crime area now. My college roommate grew up there and it's not like it was about 7 years ago when we would go to visit. A partner at my office lives in Peachtree City. It's nice and there's a ton of golf courses if you're into that. The downside of Peachtree City is almost everyone that lives there works for Delta and most are near retirement age if they haven't already retired. Golf carts are everywhere, but they are very strict on people using them (they even gave their own mayor a DUI on one a few years ago). I'm 27 and live in Buckhead which would probably be a little too far north, but I have a ton of friends who live in Midtown and coming out of the city against traffic in the morning and into the city against traffic in the afternoon would make for easy commutes if you work 9-5 hours. Just really depends on what you're interested in and what you want out of where you live.
OK2DRUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #15882
Interlux

Thanks SlowSS and OK2Drul - both great messages.

I've looked into peachtree city and it does seem like a nice area - might be just a hair too far from East Point. Isn't that pushing over 30 miles one way? and although I'm not a huge party animal type of guy - I'm not looking for a retirement community.

I'm not necessarily looking for somewhere that's full of mid 20's people either though. I enjoy my privacy but would like to be within a drive of some social areas.

If Peachtree city is too far. and Fayetteville (north I'm assuming) isn't as safe as it used to be. Are there any other areas I can look into that would be reasonable?

No place has ZERO crime - the area I'm living in right now used to be a very safe nice place but in the last year we have seen strings of break-ins to the point of buying a security system. But the safer the better of course.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #15883
Interlux

Actually buckhead looks pretty nice OK2! That's closer than Fayetteville to East Point. Maybe longer with traffic?

Midtown seems like it might be too close to the city - cities tend to gravitate outwards overtime. Worried that crime and that type of atmosphere would eventually reach midtown overtime.

Let me know what you think of Buckhead though - commute, area, etc.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #15884
Theatrekid

Drives: 2011 Synergy Black Camaro 2LT/RS
Snow Days

A little fun in the snow. Happy Superbowl Sunday Everyone!!
Attached Images

Theatrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #15885
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatrekid View Post
A little fun in the snow. Happy Superbowl Sunday Everyone!!
Hey Lee! What is that white stuff? With the weather like it is today, I can't imagine any of that white stuff...but then I wasn't stuck in it for a day.

Nice Halos!
Old 02-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #15886
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Actually buckhead looks pretty nice OK2! That's closer than Fayetteville to East Point. Maybe longer with traffic?

Midtown seems like it might be too close to the city - cities tend to gravitate outwards overtime. Worried that crime and that type of atmosphere would eventually reach midtown overtime.

Let me know what you think of Buckhead though - commute, area, etc.
I would suggest renting until you get familiar with Atlanta, and know where your job is going to be. I don't know how some people can put up with their commute. Maybe it is just me getting old, but I have passed on much higher paying jobs because of what the commute would be. Buckhead is very nice, and still feels like you are "in the city". That is the most upscale part of "inside the perimeter" (inside I285 which goes around the city). Be prepared to pay a lot more for the same apartment/house, but you would be in the middle of it all, and commute to anywhere would be pretty easy.

I haven't read all of the posts lately (been super busy), and don't know if you have a family. Some of the Gwinnett County schools are some of the best in the country. We have a 3rd-ranked and a 10th ranked in the country high school.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #15887
Interlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I would suggest renting until you get familiar with Atlanta, and know where your job is going to be. I don't know how some people can put up with their commute. Maybe it is just me getting old, but I have passed on much higher paying jobs because of what the commute would be. Buckhead is very nice, and still feels like you are "in the city". That is the most upscale part of "inside the perimeter" (inside I285 which goes around the city). Be prepared to pay a lot more for the same apartment/house, but you would be in the middle of it all, and commute to anywhere would be pretty easy.

I haven't read all of the posts lately (been super busy), and don't know if you have a family. Some of the Gwinnett County schools are some of the best in the country. We have a 3rd-ranked and a 10th ranked in the country high school.
Good Advice 572. I do know where my job would be - it would be in East Point. No family here either - yet. Just me.

Anyone care to explain the new TAVT in Georgia? We don't have that up here. What's this going to run me yearly?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #15888
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Atlanta Club Lounge

Quote:
Good Advice 572. I do know where my job would be - it would be in East Point. No family here either - yet. Just me.

Anyone care to explain the new TAVT in Georgia? We don't have that up here. What's this going to run me yearly?
Yearly - $20 per tag.
Initially - about 7% of FMV with half due at time of registration and the rest in 6 months.

Example Gwinnett County Tax Commish site

http://gwinnetttaxcommissioner.manatron.com/

If you move into one of the metro counties you will need an emission test for 2011s and older.

Last edited by Southern Comfort; 02-02-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #15889
Camaros To The Max
AKA...Grim Reaper

Drives: 2010 2 LT Camaro
I would like to invite you Atlanta guys and gals to our big NC event coming in April...Would love to have you all join us for a great weekend. Check out this thread to sign up and for all the info.....
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326764
Attached Images

Camaros To The Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #15890
Interlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
Yearly - $20 per tag.
Initially - about 7% of FMV with half due at time of registration and the rest in 6 months.

Example Gwinnett County Tax Commish site

http://gwinnetttaxcommissioner.manatron.com/

If you move into one of the metro counties you will need an emission test for 2011s and older.
Thanks Southern Comfort. Kind of annoying that I have to pay a 7% tax on my vehicle that I already own. Is this yearly or just upon registering the car for the first time in GA?

Will look at the site now thanks a ton.

Tags
atlanta, club, diane is great., free josh, j.t. is awesome, mti locks not rocks your car, mti rocks, mti rocks your mom's house, yep yep