Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
L99 Stealthy PCM of NC Cam & Heads picks up 88rwhp

Lots of talk about lopey cams here in this section - but they're not for everyone! This customer wanted something on the stealthy side, and also to keep his stock torque converter. His final request was to make sure it would work well with his future plans - which include a Whipple.

Our "Crazy Joe" cam turned out to fit the bill perfectly. That's a 215/247, .60x/.62x, @ .050", with a 119+2 LSA. Barely any lope -

Since we pulled the heads to delete DOD, we sent them off to Advanced Induction for his 280cc porting & polishing job. We were very happy with the results and so was the customer!

I've got to get some more updated pics of this car - we also lowered it with some Hotchkis springs and are installing pillar pod gauges, it looks awesome!
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I just have to comment...it's nice to see another shop that can show before/after dyno comparisons these days. keeps folks from getting hung up on a number. they SHOULD be getting hung up on a gain. Question though...why is the torque HP cross in the wrong spot?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Kelly@PCMofNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
I just have to comment...it's nice to see another shop that can show before/after dyno comparisons these days. keeps folks from getting hung up on a number. they SHOULD be getting hung up on a gain. Question though...why is the torque HP cross in the wrong spot?
The scaling is different on one side vs the other, they do actually cross at 5250.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post

I've got to get some more updated pics of this car - we also lowered it with some Hotchkis springs and are installing pillar pod gauges, it looks awesome!
I'd like to see the gauges. What hardware are you using?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
How about something like this with a Maggie and a little less LSA for a little more lope?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
grocerygetter
instigator

Quote:
The scaling is different on one side vs the other, they do actually cross at 5250.
so you ran out of power and stopped the pull just after 6k?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
What intake is that? Don't think I have seen it before.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
What intake is that? Don't think I have seen it before.
Looks like k&n blackhawk
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:53 AM   #9
shiznight

Drives: 2010 camaro ss l99
wow got my car beat by 17hp and actually got what i wanted from the start...stock stall, more hp, and people assuming the car was stockish. good on ya

TSP vvt-1 cam, Headers-catless xpipe, Knn intake 417/422
Nitrous 100 wet shot 520/585
Racestar super 94 17x4.5/17x9.5
highest trap to date 120.6mph
12.0@spinfest. rage
shiznight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Alvin@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 IOM RSS
Quote:
so you ran out of power and stopped the pull just after 6k?
The pull with the camshaft goes to 6500 + I'm not sure I'm understanding your question.
Alvin@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Kelly@PCMofNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I'd like to see the gauges. What hardware are you using?
We used Autometer GT Series gauges. It's our first set like that (the face type) - the customer picked them out. I was a little skeptical at first but once I got the gauges in, they look awesome!! I'll have pics of them installed shortly, but here's what they look like,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-8063

We are doing an Autometer dual pillar pod, and the SLP one also that mounts over the steering column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
How about something like this with a Maggie and a little less LSA for a little more lope?
Yep, got that too! That would be our "LS3/L99 The Force" cam. Build blog/dyno sheet here - 2010 Camaro TVS 2300 "The Force" Cam. This vid is in an LS3 car,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznight View Post
wow got my car beat by 17hp and actually got what i wanted from the start...stock stall, more hp, and people assuming the car was stockish. good on ya
Thanks for your comments! We try to meet every customer's goals. This customer only wanted 437 rwhp (yes, that exact number haha) so we beat his goal by a bit, still perfect driveability and quiet sound.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
grocerygetter
instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC View Post
The pull with the camshaft goes to 6500 + I'm not sure I'm understanding your question.
the cross is supposed to be at 5250...the dyno chart is bogus if the pull went to 6500...if you slide the graph to the left it shows you got out of it a hair over 6k. Maybe its tuned that way per cam spec...and thats fine. Just trying to debunk the dyno chart since there is an error.
I don't think you would bogus the graph...I just think, like you said, it needs to be slid to the left.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Kelly@PCMofNC

Quote:
the cross is supposed to be at 5250...the dyno chart is bogus if the pull went to 6500...if you slide the graph to the left it shows you got out of it a hair over 6k. Maybe its tuned that way per cam spec...and thats fine. Just trying to debunk the dyno chart since there is an error.
I don't think you would bogus the graph...I just think, like you said, it needs to be slid to the left.
I made the scaling the same on both sides for you.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
I made the scaling the same on both sides for you.

Seems like there are more skeptics than enthusiasts on this forum lately, one of the main draw backs to this site... I will say there are some crazy claims that are made from time to time, but everything that PCM has put out performance wise has been more than reasonable and yet it's not good enough. There are more than a handful of cam only dyno graphs over 500RWHP and there is no bashing there. This thread is about a very mellow, mild stealth set up minus setting the world on fire and we have an automatic flag flying..... In the end, I guess if your shop's name is'nt Lethal or LG you are open game for the typical skeptic. I give credit to PCM for their dedication to both drivability and power. At the end of the day I want to get in my car and have the best of both worlds, PCM does a great job of giving the customer exactly that. Kudos to Alvin and Kelly for a great product. This is my $.02 / opinion take it for what it's worth.

A little less bashing and more positive data will make this site a better forum.

BFASTNOTLAST is offline   Reply With Quote