Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
xRedsox
Night Fury

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Thumbs down Some Cops Just Want To See The World Burn

So, here's something that happened to me. I was driving to a friend's house to remove the "Camaro" chrome badge and Rear Bowtie, but while I was driving (and I wasn't driving sporadic or fast) I got flashed by an undercover cop who chased me down and pulled me over. He said I was going 57 MPH in a 45, and I had no idea because I was going with the flow of traffic. Something that pissed me off was this red Lexus that was blowing past everybody and changing lanes in intersections where the cop flashed his lights. I was kinda mad, he was about 20 feet from the 50 MPH sign. In the end, he "Gave me a break" and cited me for failure to follow traffic sign that was $167 after I told him I was going to college here and didn't know the area. Better than $200 moving violation, but still he only pulled me over because of my car. Now, I am a college student so paying the car off is already a pain and this ticket wasn't helping.

All in all, if you find yourself in Sanford, FL or Winter Haven, FL. Go the speed limit, maybe even a tad under it because cops will pull you over.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedsox View Post
So, here's something that happened to me. I was driving to a friend's house to remove the "Camaro" chrome badge and Rear Bowtie, but while I was driving (and I wasn't driving sporadic or fast) I got flashed by an undercover cop who chased me down and pulled me over. He said I was going 57 MPH in a 45, and I had no idea because I was going with the flow of traffic. Something that pissed me off was this red Lexus that was blowing past everybody and changing lanes in intersections where the cop flashed his lights. I was kinda mad, he was about 20 feet from the 50 MPH sign. In the end, he "Gave me a break" and cited me for failure to follow traffic sign that was $167 after I told him I was going to college here and didn't know the area. Better than $200 moving violation, but still he only pulled me over because of my car. Now, I am a college student so paying the car off is already a pain and this ticket wasn't helping.

All in all, if you find yourself in Sanford, FL or Winter Haven, FL. Go the speed limit, maybe even a tad under it because cops will pull you over.
I've heard of many similar experiences. It's regrettable, but on the upside your car does turn heads, even if it's the head of the guy who pulled you over.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Interesting - I've blown past a couple cops and they flash their headlights at me then let me go. Of course, most of the highway patrol cars here are camaros so maybe they are just saying hey
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
RSloth
[COTW- Never!]

Drives: Slothy; Sloth-like
Something Similar happened to me. Was 4 in the morning. Headed down to San Diego. Free was was open and clear. A black Jaguar zooms past me. I'm going maybe 80 (speed of the other 3 cars near me) He comes at about 110+ and I get pulled over.
No one else. Just me. I said,"You didn't see that jaguar go flying past you as you pulled me over?" He replied "I didn't see any black cars sir.."

Oh..

oh…….
Old 02-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Sorry you didn't know about all those cities being so tough on it. My buddy is from down there and any time I'd visit he'd always warn me.

Also, be careful about "racing the clock." Something he told me about. Apparently they can take your car away for racing even if you aren't racing anyone.
I'd say watch out for any of the little municipalities around central FL. Some of the "wealthier" ones will have cops on foot with radar guns standing behind telephone poles clocking you. Just have to make a point to be aware of the speed limit.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
xRedsox
Night Fury

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Sorry you didn't know about all those cities being so tough on it. My buddy is from down there and any time I'd visit he'd always warn me.

Also, be careful about "racing the clock." Something he told me about. Apparently they can take your car away for racing even if you aren't racing anyone.
I'd say watch out for any of the little municipalities around central FL. Some of the "wealthier" ones will have cops on foot with radar guns standing behind telephone poles clocking you. Just have to make a point to be aware of the speed limit.
Oh I know that, my friend has a nice 2002 Mustang and he was arrested down in Tampa because the trooper said he was racing, there was no one else on the parkway and they impounded his car. Later they crushed it because it had a few mods, nothing illegal. Any where in Florida, especially on highways except any part of I4 that isn't in Tampa or Orlando.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I've learned to recognize the unmarked cars.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
SWAT

Drives: 2011 2SS RS L99
Quote:
Oh I know that, my friend has a nice 2002 Mustang and he was arrested down in Tampa because the trooper said he was racing, there was no one else on the parkway and they impounded his car. Later they crushed it because it had a few mods, nothing illegal. Any where in Florida, especially on highways except any part of I4 that isn't in Tampa or Orlando.
Crushed it ????? WTF??
SWAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #9
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
I've never seen cops flash their headlights before at someone passing them, is that some sort of warning or something?

During the day, a lot of cops drive really slow around here and a lot of people won't pass them which holds up traffic, but at night the cop cars are flying around everywhere. They mostly drive chargers around here.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I don't look at the car anymore - I look at the windshield. Rather, look behind it on the passenger side for a laptop. Those Toughbooks give them right away.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #11
BlackDahlia

Drives: a Chevy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSloth View Post
Was 4 in the morning. Headed down to San Diego. Free was was open and clear.
This wasn't on the 5 freeway was it?! I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over there unless they were doing over 100mph or something stupid!

I was passed by a cop at 2am heading home from a concert, I was doing 97, the truck topped out at 98... Not even a second glance, must've been quitting time!

The ONLY two times I've heard of people getting stopped were: dude doing 104 on the off ramp and the other blew through the bean counters (USBP traffic inspection) doing 70!

'10 2SS/RS - LS3/6M
'14 Sonic HB - LUV/6M
'08 Silverado - LMM/6A
BlackDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Memo to myself, avoid Florida.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #13
MedicalCowboy
Save lives? Hahahahaha

Drives: An ambulance, a 2ss/rs, x-wing
So, you are mad because you were speeding and got pulled over for it? If you don't want a speeding ticket then don't speed... Just my 2 cents bud.
MedicalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicalCowboy View Post
So, you are mad because you were speeding and got pulled over for it? If you don't want a speeding ticket then don't speed... Just my 2 cents bud.
Kinda have to agree with this too.

I'll admit I speed but I know if I get pulled over, it's my own fault.