Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 03-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Xlar86x

Drives: 1991 Chevy camaro rs 3.1L
car stalls after amp/headunit/sub install

hey guys got a sticky situation here. i have a 91 rs v6 3.1 L AUTO . i recently installed a stereo system. 900 wat rocksford fosgate amp, one 10'' jl audio w3 sub and a sony single din headunit. i bought the gm harness for my car as well and teh amp wiring is 4 gauge all the way around. plus i just recently put in an optima yellow top. and the batt and alt are good. i have done maybe 5 stereo systems in my time on diffrent cars and have never had a problem. well till now.

PROBLEMS:

car idle drops down low almost to the point of stalling when brakes are gradually applied.

idle drops and then spikes up almost as if its trying to catchup to its self.

if i stop almost short the idle drops and spikes but holds after a second or 2 when foot is held on brake.

when coasting at anything lower then 35-40 mph the cars idle flucuates up and down.

when car is in park the car is relatively even in idle.

car no longer makes buzzing sound when key is in ignition and door is open or headlights are still on.

cd player takes a few seconds to come on when key is in acc position or car is started.

SIDE NOTE: gm harness that i purchased has an orange wire labled dash illuminator . however the sony harness has no where for me to attatch it .

any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Xlar86x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Obsessive Camaro Disorder

Drives: 69 Camaro and 92 RS
Its common not to use the orange wire. If you haven't figured out your issue yet post it on thirdgen.org in the electrical section. You will get an answer there.
If it's done cheap and fast, it isn't going to be good.
Obsessive Camaro Disorder is offline   Reply With Quote