Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Sidemarker before tinting
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #16
13lstuner

Sidemarker after tinting.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #17
13lstuner

Tailights on in the dark. Granted I have the afterburner tailights. the iphone doesn't pick them up, I left on the daytime running lights while they are on because I knew I was going to tint them dark, and I wanted the most light possible to shine through. The LED rings are easily seen in person.

In my personal opinion even the darkest tint barely impede any light from coming through at all. Big to bigworm graphics!
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCamOwner View Post
I didn't have an opinion about blacking out the tail lights until the other day. I saw someone get rear ended coming to a stop, and the person who got hit had his tail lights blacked out. He ended up getting tickets and they charged him with causing the accident as the person who hit him said he could not see the brake lights. I had to stop as a witness, and heard what the officer was giving him as far as tickets. I would now assume his insurance is now responsible for repairing both cars?
I noticed this same thing when I would be stopping in traffic. This is why I removed the kits and tinted.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwalterhouse View Post
I noticed this same thing when I would be stopping in traffic. This is why I removed the kits and tinted.

Quote:
I didn't have an opinion about blacking out the tail lights until the other day. I saw someone get rear ended coming to a stop, and the person who got hit had his tail lights blacked out. He ended up getting tickets and they charged him with causing the accident as the person who hit him said he could not see the brake lights. I had to stop as a witness, and heard what the officer was giving him as far as tickets. I would now assume his insurance is now responsible for repairing both cars?
That's why you get rid of the OEM incandescent bulbs and get bright LED lights.

Sent from somewhere on the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Headlight armor has different levels of tint on their kits. I went with the smoke tint which is their medium level tint just for the above reason. Looks great but does not cause problems with viewing brake lights, etc. during the day.

Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #21
camarorange

Drives: IOM Camaro 2SS
Interesting points. I had not that it might be dark enough to cause problems. I'm definitely going to look into both Big Worm and Headlight Armor. The only reason I am hesitant about painting them is incase I want to remove the tint and go back to red. If it ends up being to dark or I stop liking it I don't want to have to buy all new tail lights.
camarorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #22
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
Tailights on in the dark. Granted I have the afterburner tailights. the iphone doesn't pick them up, I left on the daytime running lights while they are on because I knew I was going to tint them dark, and I wanted the most light possible to shine through. The LED rings are easily seen in person.

In my personal opinion even the darkest tint barely impede any light from coming through at all. Big to bigworm graphics!
My tail lights were fine at night also. Put direct sun light on the rear of the car and apply the brake, with another car behind, see how bright the lights are then. Light kits are just not worth that chance of getting rear ended, at least not for me.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #23
13lstuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwalterhouse View Post
My tail lights were fine at night also. Put direct sun light on the rear of the car and apply the brake, with another car behind, see how bright the lights are then. Light kits are just not worth that chance of getting rear ended, at least not for me.
Did you also have the afterburner taillights? I'm not being a smartass at all just curious. The led rings are significantly brighter than my regular tail lights. They are even much brighter than when the break is applied. Personally that's the only reason I feel comfortable doing the darkest level of tint. If I has standard lights I would've gone the mid level darkness.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #24
JustRaf
YOU.ONLY.LIVE.ONCE

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS 2013
I had big worm charcoal before but painted is still the best.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #25
a7888ku

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
That's why you get rid of the OEM incandescent bulbs and get bright LED lights.

What kind of LED bulb do you use? I just got stopped the other day. Seems Arkansas law changed las year and the tinted tail lights are illegal. I like mine so I wanted to get some LED bulbs to see if it would be brighter.
Attached Images

a7888ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #26
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
I bought stage 3 bulbs from diode dynamics. I haven't tested it with the tint yet. Tint is still sitting in its box lol. Should have time to install them this weekend.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blacked out, tail lights