Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #1555
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewatkins3 View Post
Recall TSB 14294 is for real and they want the original keys!
wont happen for me. just another reason to hold on to my 2010. I really enjoy FOB and key being together.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #1556
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
A co-worker of mine got a call from his wife recently: She couldn't get into the car, because the battery on the remote had gone dead. She was at the store, and no store nearby had the right battery. She wanted him to come out and use his key to open her car up.

He asked her if she had tried using the KEY to open the door... and, as expected, this idea had not even crossed her mind.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #1557
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Do all Camaros have keyed locks....I read this and never even noticed if I actually have a place to insert the key on the door.? Can't wait to get home and check.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #1558
gunnyusmc

Drives: Black ZL1/6 speed
Angry Key FOB Replacement time

Quote:
Originally Posted by toti View Post
Update: June 19, 2014

Attachment 638616

GM Press Release:

DETROIT –
General Motors will recall all current generation Chevrolet Camaros because a driver’s knee can bump the key FOB and cause the key to inadvertently move out of the “run” position, with a corresponding reduction or loss of power.

The issue, which may primarily affect drivers sitting close to the steering column, was discovered by GM during internal testing following the ignition switch recall earlier this year.

“Discovering and acting on this issue quickly is an example of the new norm for product safety at GM,” said Jeff Boyer, vice president of GM Global Safety.

The Camaro ignition system meets all GM engineering specifications and is unrelated to the ignition system used in Chevrolet Cobalts and other small cars included in the ignition switch recall.

GM is aware of three crashes that resulted in four minor injuries that it believes may be attributed to this condition.

The company will change the Camaro key to a standard design from one in which the key is concealed in the FOB and is opened by pushing a button. The change will make the ignition key and FOB independent of each other, so that inadvertent contact with the FOB won’t move the key from the “run” position. There are 464,712 Camaros from the 2010-2014 model years in the U.S. included in the recall. Including Canada, Mexico and exports, the total recall population is 511,528.

Separately, GM also announced two safety recalls and one non-compliance recall involving a total of 65,121 cars in the U.S. all three of which were reported to the NHTSA on Wednesday, June 11, 2014. Including Canada, Mexico and exports, the total recall population is 69,839.

In all cases, customers will receive letters from GM letting them know when they can bring their vehicles into a dealership, where the recall repairs will be performed free of charge and courtesy transportation would be provided as needed.

The recalls:

28,789 Saab 9-3 convertibles from the 2004-2011 model years for an automatic tensioning system cable in the driver’s side front seat belt retractor that could break. If the cable were to break, seat belt webbing spooled out by the driver would not retract. The convertibles and sedans were investigated at the same time, but the convertible parts were not identical to the sedan parts. GM has since learned of customer complaints to the NHTSA for the convertibles. Dealers will replace the driver’s side retractor in the recalled vehicles. In addition, GM has issued a special coverage, so that if the same repair is required to the passenger side retractor it will be covered for the life of the vehicle. GM also extended the special coverage for passenger side belt retractors on the 2004 Saab 9-3 sedan from the original 10-year coverage to the life of the vehicle, like the convertibles. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities due to this condition.

21,567 Chevrolet Sonic 2012 model year compacts equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission and a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine for a condition in which the transmission turbine shaft may fracture as a result of a supplier quality issue. If this were to occur in first or second gear, the vehicle could not upshift into third through sixth gears. If the turbine shift fractured while in one of the higher gears, the vehicle would coast until it was moving slow enough to downshift into first or second gear. In both instances, a malfunction indicator lamp may illuminate. If driven in this condition for a long period of time, all forward gears may become inoperable. The engine would continue to run and all power accessories would function. Dealers will replace the transmission turbine shaft. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities related to this condition.

14,765 model year 2014 Buick LaCrosse sedans because a wiring splice in the driver’s door may corrode and break. That may communicate incorrect information to circuits that control the door chime and allow passenger windows, rear windows and the sunroof to function when the vehicle is turned off and the driver is not in the vehicle. In addition, a chime will not sound when the driver’s door is opened if the key is in the ignition.

Dealers will inspect the driver door window motor harness and, if necessary, replace an electrical splice. GM is unaware of any thefts, crashes, injuries or fatalities related to this condition.

Bulletin sent to dealers:
Any idea on the replacement time for the key replacement. My dealer told me that they can't sell any Camaros for a month. Is this factual or is someone blowing smoke up my a$$?
gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #1559
gunnyusmc

Drives: Black ZL1/6 speed
Who pay's for the Floor plan costs if the dealer can't sell them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyusmc View Post
Any idea on the replacement time for the key replacement. My dealer told me that they can't sell any Camaros for a month. Is this factual or is someone blowing smoke up my a$$?
Who is going to pay for dealers floor plan cost's if they can't sell new or used Camaro's and the the other GM models listed? This could cost the dealers a bundle.
gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #1560
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyusmc View Post
Who is going to pay for dealers floor plan cost's if they can't sell new or used Camaro's and the the other GM models listed? This could cost the dealers a bundle.
There are a bunch of us including me who have already bought Camaros but can't pick them up because of this recall. I bought mine Friday and it's just been sitting at the dealers since then.
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #1561
Darwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwood View Post
Is there any way to look at the tsb?
Can anyone post the TSB. I want to know exactly what the fix will be.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #1562
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwood View Post
Can anyone post the TSB. I want to know exactly what the fix will be.
It's not a TSB; it's a recall. See #1445 above.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #1563
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Well I am never going to use the key, in fact I bought these keyhole overlays to cover them, can't wait to put them on:
http://www.reflectiveconcepts.com/ve...y-2010-camaro/
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #1564
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
about 1 year ago. Battery was dead and needed to unlock car to pop open hood for jump start.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #1565
Darwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
It's not a TSB; it's a recall. See #1445 above.
See post #1550. You have to post instructions to the dealers if they are to do a recall. That's in a TSB.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #1566
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
It appears that the dealerships will get the parts in and contact the customer to set an appointment. Then the customer brings the vehicle in with proof of ownership and both sets of keys. From that point, they make and code the new keys! That is the concept...
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #1567
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Wait a minute. Was the "Do.you use your key to open your door" and "Key Recall" threads merged? Other than both containing the words key and fob, they didn't have much to do with one another.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #1568
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Now that my camaro was stolen, I think I'll just keep the original key as a memento. Lol!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall