Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Old 07-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Post Why do moderators care if my thread is in the right forum?

I've seen a few complaints about infractions regarding thread placement. I've also seen a few complaints about people asking the same questions over and over again. These are related problems.

When you post something about your car in the wrong section, the guy browsing the right forum can't find it. That's a big problem because that guy is going to ask a question that you may have already answered in your thread.

It's one thing if you posted something about your engine in a general section. We'd like to see it in the engine section, but we probably won't make a big deal about it. Expect a PM reminding you to put your threads in the right place.

It's a whole different animal when you start posting about your V6 in the 1LE forum. V6 guys won't be able to find it, and the 1LE guys don't care about your V6. That's not to say that you don't deserve an answer to your question, but you should ask in a place where people are going to look. Asking the wrong section is bad for you getting feedback, and you may receive an infraction.

It's also bad for Camaro5. One of the reasons we don't like to see misplaced posts is our friend, Google. There's a concept called search engine optimization (SEO), and without getting too technical, being organized helps us as a community by ensuring that content stays at the top of Google's search results. That means we get new members who are looking for answers online.

Additionally, being organized helps you. If you want an answer, then you know where to look. In my opinion, vBulletin's search feature isn't that great, so I browse when I'm looking for answers. A lot of you guys do the same things, and it helps us keep the community rolling.

When you a see a thread out of place, that means that we haven't caught it yet. As moderators, we all have other jobs and responsibilities besides Camaro5, so we can't spend our entire day looking for posts that are out of place. When you see it, report it. We'll get notice that something is wrong, and we can go straight to the problem. That also applies to trolls and other dirtbags who don't belong in our community. We are here to help.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Well said sir. I sometimes feel like I'm being a pest when I report posts constantly, but as a former forum administrator myself, I understand exactly where you're coming from.

Regarding the Google search results part of the equation, the forum sponsors also like it when Camaro5 shows up at the top of the list. Google search is a very powerful tool on the internet and can result in 1000's of views of a forum when that forum is front and center.

But umm... I think this thread is in the wrong section. Nobody's going to see it!

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post
Well said sir. I sometimes feel like I'm being a pest when I report posts constantly, but as a former forum administrator myself, I understand exactly where you're coming from.

Regarding the Google search results part of the equation, the forum sponsors also like it when Camaro5 shows up at the top of the list. Google search is a very powerful tool on the internet and can result in 1000's of views of a forum when that forum is front and center.

But umm... I think this thread is in the wrong section. Nobody's going to see it!

No one really comes in here, but members who care enough to read it will see it. People who will complain will complain anyway, and since that's not a positive contribution to the community, those posts and people will go away. Really, does anyone come here to read complaints about me or do they come here to talk about Camaros?

You said you feel like a pest reporting. I get that, but we need those reported posts. It's helpful to everyone. With reporter posts, we can go straight to the problem, identify troublemakers, and remove inappropriate content.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:58 AM   #4
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Well hopefully more ppl will read/see this.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
TL;DR, what're you really trying to say?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Posting in the right section gets you quality responses. You may not get two hundred responses, but you will get a response that isn't pure BS.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Good luck happens on all forums. Over on the truck site I moderate for I can easily move 10 topics a day. I have not found a good solution other than eliminate all sub forums which a isn't the solution

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote