Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #71
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
Matt
Do you have pictures of the tire bead area on the z28 wheels? They are supposed to be blasted to minimize rotation
Have you noticed the tires sliding/rotating on the rims? I would expect a balance problem, but I am losing a lot of rubber each day so not sure if the balance issues are from rubber loss or tire/wheel slippage.
Thx
EDIT: h018871, Did you buy the set or two from MI that were refinished??? I wonder if when there where refinished they didn't paint/coat over the blasted area???

I didn't take any pictures, but the area is indeed blasted there from the factory.

No, I have not noticed any issues with sliding or rotating, but I also don't have the Carbon Ceramic brakes. I have the CTS-V 6-pistons.

I ran the car very hard at private retail at Gingerman this past Monday and even had a 40 minute session that I burned a 1/2 tank of gas. The front calipers are now a gold color (because of the bunk clear coat reacting to the excessive heat).....But tires are still in balance as I drove the car home instead of towing it.

-Matt
Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #72
OK2DRUL
ace5.org (Atlanta Club)

Drives: 2010 Black/IOM 2SS LS3
I don't know if you sold the CTS-V Recaro seats or not yet, but if you haven't I would suggest putting them on ctsvowners.com I'm sure you would get a lot more interest there.

OK2DRUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #73
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK2DRUL View Post
I don't know if you sold the CTS-V Recaro seats or not yet, but if you haven't I would suggest putting them on ctsvowners.com I'm sure you would get a lot more interest there.
I did join about 2 weeks ago..Rules state I need to be there 30 days and have 50 posts so I am in the waiting period. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Matt
Old 08-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #74
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
EDIT: h018871, Did you buy the set or two from MI that were refinished??? I wonder if when there where refinished they didn't paint/coat over the blasted area???

I didn't take any pictures, but the area is indeed blasted there from the factory.

No, I have not noticed any issues with sliding or rotating, but I also don't have the Carbon Ceramic brakes. I have the CTS-V 6-pistons.

I ran the car very hard at private retail at Gingerman this past Monday and even had a 40 minute session that I burned a 1/2 tank of gas. The front calipers are now a gold color (because of the bunk clear coat reacting to the excessive heat).....But tires are still in balance as I drove the car home instead of towing it.

-Matt
Hey Matt,
So if you have now had the car on the track with the Z/28 wheels do you have any thoughts/notes to summarize the differences after the wheels were added? I'm very curious to hear your results!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #75
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post

-Matt
convoluted, but here goes:
I have the forged ZL1/1LE wheels that I have street tires mounted on (DSW)
I run the GY F1 285 on FR 10x20 (allows me to be able to swap front to back easily)

I was thinking about blasting the bead area on the FRs the next time I change the GYs out. a couple of things:
not sure if tire slipping on the rim is really an issue for me (I too added the CTS-V calipers and 2 piece rotors)
I marked the tires at the stem location and they moved, but not sure if they moved several rotations or just a little.
the FRs are very smooth in the bead area, I would think once they got hot they would really stick to the rim......
the tires do shake a bit after running them for a weekend, but not excessively
if it was easy and I do not "over blast" the bead areas on the rims (do not want to make it so rough that they do not seal)
I might give it a go just because I can

do you recall what the surface looked and felt like? 120, 220, 400 grit sandpaper as a reference? this would help decide what media to blast with.

oh BTW, I am running between 33/35 psi hot in the GYs
Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #76
BTRSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Supercharged
Great build, congrats on COTW!
BTRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #77
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Congrats on COTW well deserved~
Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #78
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Congrats on COTW! Awesome thread & build. I know it is unlikely but I would be thrilled to find you hauled that bad boy down to Bowling Green, KY this next weekend for the LS Fest! If you by some lucky turn do so, Look up Ruby! I'll be keeping an eye on you.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:02 AM   #79
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
Congratulations on CAMARO OF THE WEEK! Well deserved with the beautiful car and great help you have been to many of us on this forum. I bought my CTS-V brakes because of your thread!
So many thanks!
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #80
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
This is mine with the TSW 19x10.5" 305s. I want a 11" on the rear though.
This actually looks pretty good; which model are they? At 22.4 lbs, TSW Nurburgrings 19x10.5 ET27 are also lighter than Z/28 wheels. Do you have more pics you could share so we could see the clearance and/or how much they stick out? This might be a great track set-up.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #81
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Congratulations to Matt on COTW (recognition has been long overdue)
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #82
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Congrats Matt!! It's a privilege to have been
a small part of you COTW!!

Thanks again for all you do to share with everyone
here. And THANKS ALOT for the track addiction -
this it getting expensive but SOOOOO fun!!
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #83
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
convoluted, but here goes:
I have the forged ZL1/1LE wheels that I have street tires mounted on (DSW)
I run the GY F1 285 on FR 10x20 (allows me to be able to swap front to back easily)

I was thinking about blasting the bead area on the FRs the next time I change the GYs out. a couple of things:
not sure if tire slipping on the rim is really an issue for me (I too added the CTS-V calipers and 2 piece rotors)
I marked the tires at the stem location and they moved, but not sure if they moved several rotations or just a little.
the FRs are very smooth in the bead area, I would think once they got hot they would really stick to the rim......
the tires do shake a bit after running them for a weekend, but not excessively
if it was easy and I do not "over blast" the bead areas on the rims (do not want to make it so rough that they do not seal)
I might give it a go just because I can

do you recall what the surface looked and felt like? 120, 220, 400 grit sandpaper as a reference? this would help decide what media to blast with.

oh BTW, I am running between 33/35 psi hot in the GYs
Gotcha, I would only be guessing on the grit, but I do remember it wasn't as textured as I thought it would be. More like something that was just bead blasted with a fine grit....so maybe 120ish

-Matt
Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #84
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTRSS View Post
Great build, congrats on COTW!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED DEMON SS View Post
Congrats on COTW well deserved~
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Congrats on COTW! Awesome thread & build. I know it is unlikely but I would be thrilled to find you hauled that bad boy down to Bowling Green, KY this next weekend for the LS Fest! If you by some lucky turn do so, Look up Ruby! I'll be keeping an eye on you.
Thank you...No traveling this weekend. I have a couple more track days planned this month so I am already booked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro500 View Post
Congratulations on CAMARO OF THE WEEK! Well deserved with the beautiful car and great help you have been to many of us on this forum. I bought my CTS-V brakes because of your thread!
So many thanks!
Thank you and good to hear.....I get more pleasure out of sharing the info than hording it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
Congratulations to Matt on COTW (recognition has been long overdue)
Thanks Appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
Congrats Matt!! It's a privilege to have been
a small part of you COTW!!

Thanks again for all you do to share with everyone
here. And THANKS ALOT for the track addiction -
this it getting expensive but SOOOOO fun!!
Small part......I blame you for all of this mess!!! j/K I couldn't be happier with making the drive to pass about 8 other Chevrolet dealers to purchase (2 cars) from Rodgers. The team there has made ownership enjoyable from the management, sales, parts and service level!

Thanks again everyone!!!
Matt