Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
So I think this is f'd up...am I wrong?

Long story short - picked up my car used. Has a 416 in it built buy a reputable shop here in town.

Shortly after I picked up the car, I got in touch with the shop and acquired the build sheet for the motor. Only thing that wasn't specific on it was the cam specs...it only says "custom grind boost cam" (car was built for boost despite my lack of having it...)

Anyhow, fast forward to today. I'm nice and familiar with the car now, and trying to plan future mods. I wanted to know what the cam specs are, because that shit matters, right?

Well, I call the shop, and ask them what the specs are. Talked with the front desk chick, and she said they'd take a look and get back with me. Shortly after, I receive a call and am told that "we don't give out those specs because we design everything for the specific application and the goals of the customer. It would be kind of like giving away our shop secrets."

I was truly surprised, and a bit pissed off. Granted, I didn't pay for this motor to be built, and it was someone else's car before it was mine, but I don't think it's asking too much to get these numbers...

Is this unreasonable? The shop is pretty well known, and is a reputable place, but I think this is just plain stupid, and am considering calling back tomorrow to make a stink so I can get the specs (which they probably won't divulge regardless of how much noise I make), but thought I'd post up here to see what yall's thoughts are...

Is this an unreasonable request on my part? Or, conversely, shop owners - would you give this info to a customer that picked up a used car?

I really just want to know wtf is in my car so I can plan (and budget for) future mods accordingly...perhaps this is their way of trying to force me to go back to them?
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Proprietary grind. They probably didn't even tell their original customer.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
hazy

Ugh. Not a fan. I like transparency.

Oh well...I'm eventually planning on boosting it anyhow, so maybe it'll work out alright. Only issue I foresee is that this shop isn't the place I'm going to have the work done, so there may be complications there, but that's so far off I'm not going to worry about it...also, if I'm spending 8k+ for boost, what's another couple hundred for a cam, right?!

Thanks man...guess this shit is still new to me, and I had no idea that such a thing existed...
Old 11-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
Ugh. Not a fan. I like transparency.

Oh well...I'm eventually planning on boosting it anyhow, so maybe it'll work out alright. Only issue I foresee is that this shop isn't the place I'm going to have the work done, so there may be complications there, but that's so far off I'm not going to worry about it...also, if I'm spending 8k+ for boost, what's another couple hundred for a cam, right?!

Thanks man...guess this shit is still new to me, and I had no idea that such a thing existed...
Why won't you have that shop do the work? They know the car (and the exact specs) and it sounds like they do good work.

I'm no mechanic but if you do take it to another shop, can't they spec the cam to make sure it's right for your planned mod?

2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Tell them your goals and ask if their cam is suitable. If you dont like the answer you can get the cam of your choice.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
hazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Why won't you have that shop do the work? They know the car (and the exact specs) and it sounds like they do good work.

I'm no mechanic but if you do take it to another shop, can't they spec the cam to make sure it's right for your planned mod?

Not sure if another shop can spec the cam (I'd think they could...), but that's what I'm hoping...

As to why i won't be going to that shop...a couple reasons, but the primary one is convenience. I have another reputable shop (literally) just down the street from my house, and have a good relationship with the mechanics and the owner. The shop that built the motor is an hour away on a good day, and I would rather deal with some place that is closer. As far as the quality of work, I'd say that they both do excellent work, so convenience wins.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
hazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
Tell them your goals and ask if their cam is suitable. If you dont like the answer you can get the cam of your choice.

Well, the good news is that the cam will absolutely suit my goals. At this point, it's more a matter of affording said goals. Cost of a SC and supporting mods (rear end, suspension, etc..) are not exactly in the budget at the moment...but I'm young(ish) and have plenty of time ahead of me to get it where I want.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
+1 - Give the original shop the specs on your boost - they should at least be able to tell you if the current CAM will support your plans.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Maybe if you actually go there in person, that way they can see it is in fact their built motor and cam, as opposed to some guy on the phone?
Maybe talk to the owner or mechanic, not the receptionist?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Long story short - picked up my car used. Has a 416 in it built buy a reputable shop here in town.

Shortly after I picked up the car, I got in touch with the shop and acquired the build sheet for the motor. Only thing that wasn't specific on it was the cam specs...it only says "custom grind boost cam" (car was built for boost despite my lack of having it...)

Anyhow, fast forward to today. I'm nice and familiar with the car now, and trying to plan future mods. I wanted to know what the cam specs are, because that shit matters, right?

Well, I call the shop, and ask them what the specs are. Talked with the front desk chick, and she said they'd take a look and get back with me. Shortly after, I receive a call and am told that "we don't give out those specs because we design everything for the specific application and the goals of the customer. It would be kind of like giving away our shop secrets."

I was truly surprised, and a bit pissed off. Granted, I didn't pay for this motor to be built, and it was someone else's car before it was mine, but I don't think it's asking too much to get these numbers...

Is this unreasonable? The shop is pretty well known, and is a reputable place, but I think this is just plain stupid, and am considering calling back tomorrow to make a stink so I can get the specs (which they probably won't divulge regardless of how much noise I make), but thought I'd post up here to see what yall's thoughts are...

Is this an unreasonable request on my part? Or, conversely, shop owners - would you give this info to a customer that picked up a used car?

I really just want to know wtf is in my car so I can plan (and budget for) future mods accordingly...perhaps this is their way of trying to force me to go back to them?
I would've requested the specs from the original owner when I bought the car. But if he didn't have the info I'd go to the shop in person, tell them your goals/ plans and explain to them that you need the cam specs to help planning your mods. If they are still jack *sses then I'd take the car to J-rod (or your local shop) and put a new cam in the car and sell that cam. If they aren't willing to give you cam specs then I'd never do business with them. Nobody is trying to steal their secrets.

I'm very interested to know what shop this was BTW. and Good luck with your modding! I'd love to have your 416!
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Not sure if another shop can spec the cam (I'd think they could...), but that's what I'm hoping...

As to why i won't be going to that shop...a couple reasons, but the primary one is convenience. I have another reputable shop (literally) just down the street from my house, and have a good relationship with the mechanics and the owner. The shop that built the motor is an hour away on a good day, and I would rather deal with some place that is closer. As far as the quality of work, I'd say that they both do excellent work, so convenience wins.
That's understandable. And I think the cam can be spec'd and reverse-engineered if necessary. Best of luck to ya!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
hazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
I would've requested the specs from the original owner when I bought the car. But if he didn't have the info I'd go to the shop in person, tell them your goals/ plans and explain to them that you need the cam specs to help planning your mods. If they are still jack *sses then I'd take the car to J-rod (or your local shop) and put a new cam in the car and sell that cam. If they aren't willing to give you cam specs then I'd never do business with them. Nobody is trying to steal their secrets.

I'm very interested to know what shop this was BTW. and Good luck with your modding! I'd love to have your 416!
I'm 99% sure that PO didn't know specs, either...which leads me to believe that it is a proprietary grind, as was mentioned above. The shop is reasonably well known here in Houston (and I presume this region) but I'm not interested in badmouthing them publicly, as that's kind of a jacka$$ move on my part - especially when I wasn't their original customer...

I do agree with nobody wanting to steal secrets, however if that's how they choose to do business, then that is their choice, and I'm not going to fault them for it - their decision, but also my choice to use them in the future, or not, and I would hope that if I chose to have future mods done elsewhere that they wouldn't badmouth that decision...

Future mods are quite a way off, however when the time comes, I'm going to have to make a decision whether or not to keep the cam...I think I've decided to cross that bridge when I get there...It runs nice and strong now, and is more than sufficient for my needs, especially considering that it's a DD, and sees about 15 or so miles per day, most of which is stop and go traffic. I'll occasionally leg it out on the highway, or catch a run here and there on the street, but overall the current power level is more than sufficient to have a little fun with...

And yes, it's quite nice to have this 416 especially since I got it (effectively) free - purchased from a dealer in march of this year, and they either had no clue what they had on their hands, or thought there were issues. Paid just a bit under fair value for the year/mileage of a bone stock SS. I did recently have to have the oil pan gasket and oil pump replaced, to the tune of ~1600 for everything, but I consider that small beans when I think that it's got ~13k worth of work already done that I didn't have to shell out the cash for
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
And yes, it's quite nice to have this 416 especially since I got it (effectively) free - purchased from a dealer in march of this year, and they either had no clue what they had on their hands, or thought there were issues. Paid just a bit under fair value for the year/mileage of a bone stock SS. I did recently have to have the oil pan gasket and oil pump replaced, to the tune of ~1600 for everything, but I consider that small beans when I think that it's got ~13k worth of work already done that I didn't have to shell out the cash for
Very nice! I kinda wish I hadn't done my mods slowly and I had just spent it all at once on a 416. Oh well... LOL. You got a nice deal there!
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote