Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #1
Aug

Drives: 2014 2SS MT, Convertible
Window drop when opening?

I have a 2014 convertible. I would like to know from others how far your window drops when you open the doors. Mine drops about 3/8 of an inch and the dealership tells me this is the normal amount. My concern is that it is not dropping enough to clear the rubber weatherstripping at the top rear area of the window opening. Is this normal? Does your window hit th rubber weatherstrip when opening the door?
Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
My ZL1 convertible drops about 1/2" or about that. It just clears the weatherstrip when the top is up. But it should clear.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Aug

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
My ZL1 convertible drops about 1/2" or about that. It just clears the weatherstrip when the top is up. But it should clear.
Thank you for the reply. When the service advisor told me it was normal (even if though another advisor said it isn't) I said I don't believe GM would go through the process of designing a window drop feature like this yet not make it so the glass clears the weatherstrip, that makes no sense. So, while they were still working on the car doing something else, I client back to the waiting room and posted this question. 5 minutes later after I posted, the advisor comes back and says the tech can manually adjust how far the windows lower when opening...argh, why does it need to be an argument. So frustrating. Oh and I was here at 7:30, told them when I made the appointment and during intake I was waiting for the car, and at 10:40 they just looked at it, probably because I went and asked for an update, since neither issue is major
Old 07-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
Read the manual? It is "indexing." You might occasionally get a prompt to "lower then close driver/passenger window" on the DIC. It is a good thing, allows window to achieve a tighter seal to the weatherstrip, reducing wind noise.

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Aug

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
Read the manual? It is "indexing." You might occasionally get a prompt to "lower then close driver/passenger window" on the DIC. It is a good thing, allows window to achieve a tighter seal to the weatherstrip, reducing wind noise.
Thank you. Yes I read the manual and I did re-index the windows. I know they are supposed to drop and why, my concern is they don't drop far enough, indexing did nothing to make them drop further. As my previous post says, supposedly there is some kind of adjustment procedure other than indexing that the tech is doing now. I will report on the results once I get the car back.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Shazbatt79

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Vert
I have a 2012 SS/RS and once I turn the handle to release the latch and then press the button to the left of it, ALL the windows go down 100% and stay there after the top is tucked away.

BTW, the new 2016 vert is awesome, and you can drop the top at 30mph. This whole thing of having to be stopped, trunk lid closed, and HOLDING THE BUTTON THE ENTIRE TIME, albeit 20 seconds, is annoying.

Thanks.
Shazbatt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #7
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aug View Post
Thank you. Yes I read the manual and I did re-index the windows. I know they are supposed to drop and why, my concern is they don't drop far enough, indexing did nothing to make them drop further. As my previous post says, supposedly there is some kind of adjustment procedure other than indexing that the tech is doing now. I will report on the results once I get the car back.

My apologies, I didn't read your post closely enough. I had no idea the drop was "adjustable."

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #8
AFCMSGTRET
TCC SWFL Chapter

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Black/IO Vert
Quote:
I have a 2014 convertible. I would like to know from others how far your window drops when you open the doors. Mine drops about 3/8 of an inch and the dealership tells me this is the normal amount. My concern is that it is not dropping enough to clear the rubber weatherstripping at the top rear area of the window opening. Is this normal? Does your window hit th rubber weatherstrip when opening the door?
My driver's side window has hung since new because it doesn't index far enough. The service manager at my nearest dealer tried to adjust it and then gave up. He told me "they all do it" and if he adjusted it more, I would have wind noise. My bumper-to-bumper warranty ran out this past November.

Did they manage to fix yours?
AFCMSGTRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
Aug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCMSGTRET View Post
My driver's side window has hung since new because it doesn't index far enough. The service manager at my nearest dealer tried to adjust it and then gave up. He told me "they all do it" and if he adjusted it more, I would have wind noise. My bumper-to-bumper warranty ran out this past November.

Did they manage to fix yours?
I am not exactly sure what was done, but the issue does seem to be resolved.

First, the service adviser had no clue about what REALLY had been done, and the entire service experience was poor. It was my first with this dealership and I am left wondering if I should go somewhere else. I went there with 2 issues, this and a broken interior trim piece. The adviser told me initially (after he supposedly talked with the tech) that the window can't be adjusted and they all do this. Then he came back and said the tech can manually adjust the window and asked if I wanted this to be done. Then, when all work was supposedly complete, the adviser told me window was adjusted and the trim piece I said was broken (it is the plastic header across the interior convertible top) just needed to be re-installed. I knew better but figured maybe they glued it or something and since I had been their 4.5 hours for THIS, I just accepted it. Anyhow, I drive away and the trim piece is rattling again, not fixed. I get home, call the dealership, another adviser tells me the tech ordered a replacement trim panel. Oh, that would have been a good thing to tell me up front.

Anyhow, back to the window. I never measured the drop with a ruler prior to bringing the car in for service, but I don't believe the window drops any further than before. What I think they did was tuck the rubber weatherstrip further up into the roof. I know without a doubt that previous to arriving at the dealership, the rubber weatherstrip piece that is nearest the top back of the window was sitting lower than the other rubber along the top, and this is what the window would hit upon opening the door. Now, that rubber weatherstrip is higher, out of the way of the window, hardly even visible now. I also smelled an epoxy like glue odor when I first entered the car after service was complete (which I presumed was for a repair of the top plastic trim panel). I now think they glued the rubber weatherstrip up into place. They did this on both driver and passenger doors. The window no longer catches on the rubber weatherstrip.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
AFCMSGTRET
TCC SWFL Chapter

Quote:
I am not exactly sure what was done, but the issue does seem to be resolved.

First, the service adviser had no clue about what REALLY had been done, and the entire service experience was poor. It was my first with this dealership and I am left wondering if I should go somewhere else. I went there with 2 issues, this and a broken interior trim piece. The adviser told me initially (after he supposedly talked with the tech) that the window can't be adjusted and they all do this. Then he came back and said the tech can manually adjust the window and asked if I wanted this to be done. Then, when all work was supposedly complete, the adviser told me window was adjusted and the trim piece I said was broken (it is the plastic header across the interior convertible top) just needed to be re-installed. I knew better but figured maybe they glued it or something and since I had been their 4.5 hours for THIS, I just accepted it. Anyhow, I drive away and the trim piece is rattling again, not fixed. I get home, call the dealership, another adviser tells me the tech ordered a replacement trim panel. Oh, that would have been a good thing to tell me up front.

Anyhow, back to the window. I never measured the drop with a ruler prior to bringing the car in for service, but I don't believe the window drops any further than before. What I think they did was tuck the rubber weatherstrip further up into the roof. I know without a doubt that previous to arriving at the dealership, the rubber weatherstrip piece that is nearest the top back of the window was sitting lower than the other rubber along the top, and this is what the window would hit upon opening the door. Now, that rubber weatherstrip is higher, out of the way of the window, hardly even visible now. I also smelled an epoxy like glue odor when I first entered the car after service was complete (which I presumed was for a repair of the top plastic trim panel). I now think they glued the rubber weatherstrip up into place. They did this on both driver and passenger doors. The window no longer catches on the rubber weatherstrip.
Thanks for your reply Steve. I appreciate it. I have seen others posts about the problem, but you're the first I can recall saying it was fixed. My dealer actually proposed taking a razor knife and cutting away the offending weatherstrip. Instead they had the roof replaced at an independent shop and I wasn't going to complain about that. But, the problem persists with the new top on the same side. I'm going to look at it closer now after reading your comments and see if there's a way I can move the weatherstripping up. Mine is now out of warranty and even if Chevy would agree to look at it, I'm not sure I'd let them. Hopefully you don't have any wind noise after the repair.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
Aug

Here are some before and after photos. Not the best pics, but hopefully it gives an idea of what the tech did. The window no longer hits the rubber weatherstrip now that it is tucked up a litter higher.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #12
AFCMSGTRET
TCC SWFL Chapter

Quote:
Here are some before and after photos. Not the best pics, but hopefully it gives an idea of what the tech did. The window no longer hits the rubber weatherstrip now that it is tucked up a litter higher.
Your top appears to have some differences as compared to mine (the seam and how the top on mine covers the weatherstripping).

I've looked at mine very closely and I don't see any way to make the adjustment that was made on yours and I'd say you were very lucky to find the right technician Maybe the weather stripping was replaced???

Since new I have been in the habit of pulling my door handle slowly and letting the window index before I open the door completely. I try not to let anyone else open my driver's door and cringe when it happens.

I've grown used to it, but if I'm ever in the Saint Augustine area I'll get back to you and find out who the technician was that fixed yours and pay for it myself.

You'd think GM would have put out a service bulletin on this so other dealers could actually fix the problem rather than BSing the customers.

That and decapitating my key without permission (I've since fixed it), coupled with a hosts of other problems has really sullied me on making another GM purchase.

Here are some pics for comparison:

Name:  DSCN0175.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0176.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0177.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  180.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0178.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0174.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  85.7 KB
Old 07-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
Aug

Here is a pic of mine with the top half up like you showed. I can't be sure, but I think the tech may have cut out some rubber near where it attaches to the top frame, then exopy glued it to the frame. This way, it protrudes less, thus, not hit by the window. It really is hard to tell exactly. But if you blow up the pic large enough on the screen, you can see the glue.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aug; 07-08-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #14
AFCMSGTRET
TCC SWFL Chapter

Thanks for taking the pictures. I'm on a quest now

I don't see a lot of difference in your weatherstripping than in mine. Sorry for the sorry quality of this picture, but hopefully you can see what I mean:

Name:  DSCN0189.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  82.8 KB

I easily pulled the weather stripping down from the metal rail it rides on. I'm guessing that maybe the technician cut off a 1/4 inch or so from the piece protruding down where you see my index finger:

Name:  DSCN0186.jpg
Views: 2165
Size:  131.1 KB

If I cut that metal protrusion a little, the weatherstripping would be up just enough to let the window clear. If you can get your weatherstripping down without it sticking (and it may now be epoxied like you said), I would really like a picture of the area in the picture above of your car since the repair. If you can get the picture, please and thank you very much!