Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #15
Aug

Drives: 2014 2SS MT, Convertible
I just looked, my rubber weatherstrip is without a doubt glued to the metal, so I don't want to pull it off. I think you must be on to something though...I wonder why mine would be glued unless it had to be if it won't hold if the metal is trimmed. And while I initially assumed the rubber weatherstrip was trimmed, I really can't see that upon close inspection either live, or via the pics, which actually is a better closeup than live. I am sorry I can't get you a definite, but I think you may be correct.

You mentioned that it would be good if there was a TSB from GM...is there a definitive list of TSB's on the forum? I had a Jaguar XK convertible before the Camaro, and on the Jaguar forum there was a good accumulation of TSB's (granted we are talking about cars 10 or more years old). Anyhow, I agree it would be helpful.
Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 AM   #16
AFCMSGTRET
TCC SWFL Chapter

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Black/IO Vert
I am just about ready to trim that offending piece of metal, but I wanted to ask you to check one more thing for me. Hopefully you don't mind.

The fact that your weatherstripping is glued whereas mine is not is really making me believe they did trim the metal.

If I were you, I wouldn't pull it off either. But that protrusion of metal you see in the pics above can be easily felt by partially retracting the top, as we have been doing, and pushing on the weatherstripping at the point where you see the arrow in the picture here:

Name:  Steve's.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  57.0 KB

If you can't feel the protrusion, then we know for sure they trimmed it. Also, did they do both sides on your car or just one? If they did just one side, you could compare it to the other side.

When I was at my local dealer (for the last time ever) last October, the service manager told me that he checked and there was not a TSB on the indexing issue and I think he's right. Where he was wrong, I think, is telling me there was no fix without doing any research. In other words he blew me off and I suspect they do the same on many issues with many of their customers.

I did find a list of TSBs for the convertibles but there was no mention of the indexing problem:
http://www.chevroletproblems.com/tsbs/Camaro/2012/

Thanks again Steve!

AFCMSGTRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #17
Aug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCMSGTRET View Post
I am just about ready to trim that offending piece of metal, but I wanted to ask you to check one more thing for me. Hopefully you don't mind.

The fact that your weatherstripping is glued whereas mine is not is really making me believe they did trim the metal.

If I were you, I wouldn't pull it off either. But that protrusion of metal you see in the pics above can be easily felt by partially retracting the top, as we have been doing, and pushing on the weatherstripping at the point where you see the arrow in the picture here:

Attachment 728585

If you can't feel the protrusion, then we know for sure they trimmed it. Also, did they do both sides on your car or just one? If they did just one side, you could compare it to the other side.

When I was at my local dealer (for the last time ever) last October, the service manager told me that he checked and there was not a TSB on the indexing issue and I think he's right. Where he was wrong, I think, is telling me there was no fix without doing any research. In other words he blew me off and I suspect they do the same on many issues with many of their customers.

I did find a list of TSBs for the convertibles but there was no mention of the indexing problem:
http://www.chevroletproblems.com/tsbs/Camaro/2012/

Thanks again Steve!

I can feel the metal tab. However, I can't tell if it was trimmed down or not. All I can say fore sure is that there is no doubt the weatherstrip was glued to the metal frame where that tab is. So I went to the passenger side, which was NOT done (I requested it, but the service adviser - well, I won't be negative)...I can't tell if there is a difference or not. I "think" that maybe it was trimmed a little, but not completely, that I can be sure of. I need to go back to the dealership for the interior trim piece replacement, I would mind asking, and plan to ask them to fix the pax side anyhow.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #18
AFCMSGTRET
TCC SWFL Chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aug View Post
I can feel the metal tab. However, I can't tell if it was trimmed down or not. All I can say fore sure is that there is no doubt the weatherstrip was glued to the metal frame where that tab is. So I went to the passenger side, which was NOT done (I requested it, but the service adviser - well, I won't be negative)...I can't tell if there is a difference or not. I "think" that maybe it was trimmed a little, but not completely, that I can be sure of. I need to go back to the dealership for the interior trim piece replacement, I would mind asking, and plan to ask them to fix the pax side anyhow.
I took the plunge yesterday and cut about 1/4" from the bottom of the tab. The weatherstripping then didn't feel like it was holding to the frame as well as it did before so I epoxied it in the same manner I assume the dealer did yours.

The result is not perfect but I'm very happy with the improvement.

In the past, when the door was opened normally, the window would snag on the weatherstripping and it almost appeared the window was bending from the effort and then "popping" as it finally cleared.

Since I cut the metal, the window still catches the weatherstripping a little, but it's not a violent action like before because there's no longer a hard piece of metal inside the weatherstripping that the window used to snag on.

When you take your car back to the dealer for the passenger side, hopefully they will tell you exactly what they did that made a 100 percent correction for your driver's side.

In the meantime, I will continue to pull the door handle and let the window index before I pull it open, but I will no longer cringe when someone else opens the door in the normal manner.

I hope this thread is helpful to others with the problem...I know it's not just you and me experiencing the problem
Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #19
Aug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCMSGTRET View Post
I took the plunge yesterday and cut about 1/4" from the bottom of the tab. The weatherstripping then didn't feel like it was holding to the frame as well as it did before so I epoxied it in the same manner I assume the dealer did yours.

The result is not perfect but I'm very happy with the improvement.

In the past, when the door was opened normally, the window would snag on the weatherstripping and it almost appeared the window was bending from the effort and then "popping" as it finally cleared.

Since I cut the metal, the window still catches the weatherstripping a little, but it's not a violent action like before because there's no longer a hard piece of metal inside the weatherstripping that the window used to snag on.

When you take your car back to the dealer for the passenger side, hopefully they will tell you exactly what they did that made a 100 percent correction for your driver's side.

In the meantime, I will continue to pull the door handle and let the window index before I pull it open, but I will no longer cringe when someone else opens the door in the normal manner.

I hope this thread is helpful to others with the problem...I know it's not just you and me experiencing the problem
Kudos to you. Glad it made a difference. So wondering, would you not try cutting out a bit more of the frame to completely tidy it up or are you leery of cutting more? Remember, you can always have a good welder re-weld a tab on if you think too much it out

I will ask for more detail when I go back to the dealership, maybe they will clue me in more.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #20
AFCMSGTRET
TCC SWFL Chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aug View Post
Kudos to you. Glad it made a difference. So wondering, would you not try cutting out a bit more of the frame to completely tidy it up or are you leery of cutting more? Remember, you can always have a good welder re-weld a tab on if you think too much it out

I will ask for more detail when I go back to the dealership, maybe they will clue me in more.
The 1/4 inch I cut seems to be plenty. After I made the cut, I glued the weatherstripping a little higher on the frame than it had been previously; hoping that would help things.

But when I rolled the window up, the window caught the outside weatherstripping and pushed it into the grove which wasn't right. I have no idea why it gets in the way when you glue it further up on the frame.

So I pulled the glue loose and put the weatherstripping back to it's original position and glued it there. Now it doesn't get in the way of the window going up. The metal tab inside the molding no longer restricts the window when I open the door.

The improvement is dramatic. I would like for the window not to touch the molding at all when I open the door normally, but that may never happen. At least I no longer cringe when the door is opened normally. If my local dealer had made that much improvement in the window operation, instead of blowing me off, he might have been in contention the next time I wanted to buy a new car.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!!

I'm standing by hoping you do find out exactly what that tech did at your dealer.