Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
Camaro117

Drives: Yellow 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I fixed my UGLY key fob gap! (pics)

Hey guys, so when i bought my 2012 camaro a couple of months ago, the saleman that I bought the car from handed me both sets of keys and I was bummed instantly lol. I had forgot GM did a recall on them a while back to fix the key issue and whoever had the car before me had the recall done. so I was bummed. While I do plan on buying a key blade to put in another fob so that I can have the switchblade again BUT until I can get around to that I saw a post on here a while back about a new part GM was making to fill the gap, and while Id still rather have a switchblade key this was kinda cool or atleast looks better than that stupid gap lol. So I went to the dealership and tried to explain to them about the part and they were lost so I just went on lol So I contacted maureen and she hooked me up! Shes so awesome! She went above and beyond! Sending me what I needed plus a few goodies! Also Ill post pics of the new insert and it looks really good, also took me like 2 mins tops to do lol. Very very easy. You just pry the battery cover off and insert one side of the insert into where the key blade would go and close it and then put the battery cover back on and boom youre done!

Also, one question, when I buy a new keyblade to put in one of my fobs will any normal hardware business be able to cut the key for me? Since the camaro keys are I guess "engraved" looking instead of a traditional cut key?
Attached Images

Camaro117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Those guys are awesome. Always have been.

Looks nice. I did not know such thing existed. Looks like I'll be hitting up Mo and having some sent my way.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Camaro117

Drives: Yellow 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Those guys are awesome. Always have been.

Looks nice. I did not know such thing existed. Looks like I'll be hitting up Mo and having some sent my way.
Agreed!
Camaro117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Wattser93

Drives: 2013 2SS RS L99
I tried to explain that little filler piece to my dealer and showed them a picture of it, they were convinced it was an aftermarket part and they couldn't get one.

That insert looks nice for those that prefer the fob and key separate.

They were able to cut me a switchblade key though so now my fob with a gap sits in the cupboard as a backup key and the switchblade key is my daily.
Wattser93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
My dealer offered the new solution to me last week and I said no thank you. One guy went on to say GM is going to not allow people to refuse the recall. I informed them that I paid for the car and they will not make me do anything I dont want to with it...

The TSB for this goes on to say "some people may not like the look blah blah blah" No $hit lol
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
My dealer offered the new solution to me last week and I said no thank you. One guy went on to say GM is going to not allow people to refuse the recall. I informed them that I paid for the car and they will not make me do anything I dont want to with it...

The TSB for this goes on to say "some people may not like the look blah blah blah" No $hit lol
I refuse their "suggestion" every time I go in, AND when thy call and email every other week....
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
I refuse their "suggestion" every time I go in, AND when thy call and email every other week....
Me too everytime I get " are you aware there is a recall for your car" Yup and no friggin' thank you!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Thanks OP for the info. I just sent Maureen a message to find out the cost on this for mine.

Much better than that nasty gap. I had to have the recall performed before they allowed us to take delivery. That added about 4-5 hours to the buying experience that was a gigantic pain in the butt last year.

You will likely need the dealer to cut they key, but they should be able to just cut the key part itself I think.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Maureen is the best

But why not just use your current blades out of the key you use to start the car? Some cutting pliers will get the blade out in less than a minute's time, then you just need a rollpin to lock it back into place.

And for those of you who don't have the recall, just get it done with only one key. Then put it back to normal and you won't have to deal with them constantly asking since their computers will show that you had it done.

And the benefit of that is that they'll give you back your fob, old blade in a new spare key that you'll cut to revert back to the switchblade, plus an extra spare key. Now you've got 3 keys and no problems (even if one of them isn't a fob)
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
What is the GM part number? That'll save a lot of explaining!
Old 08-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #11
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro117 View Post

Also, one question, when I buy a new keyblade to put in one of my fobs will any normal hardware business be able to cut the key for me? Since the camaro keys are I guess "engraved" looking instead of a traditional cut key?
Hardware stores typically can't laser cut, but you should be able to find a locksmith to do it. Call around until you find one who can. I found one after about 3 calls but ended up not doing it. Dealer just handed me the new keys without messing with my fobs and sent me on my way.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #12
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
So the gap-filler is an official GM part?
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Part #?
Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #14
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Anyone know the part number?