Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
ClarityCamaro

Drives: 2013 black zl1
To build or to trade.

Options on building my 2013 zl1 setup would be a lsx 427 tt setup. Or should I trade my zl1 in for a 2016 zo6 3lz
ClarityCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
masterj1109

Drives: 2010 Hennessey HPE 650 Camaro
I am sure you will get a lot of mixed opinions in this post and with that, here is mine!

I like both the early 5th gen Camaro and the new corvette, I even recently considered this same idea

After a decent amount of modding on my current camaro, I think my opinion is if I had to start over, I would elect to buy a brand new 2016 3LZ CR.7 (or just Z07 package based on your desired price range) and just do minor mods on a factory fast car. Get 90%+ of your performance right from the factory (especially if you want to drive often) with a warranty, you break they buy!

This is so you can focus your modding dollars on simply adding any visual flare you like to personalize it without having to spend major $$$ on any major performance overhauling
masterj1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
I'm old school and prefer stuffing a bigger heart beat into my chevrolet's. Always fun to crack the hood open and the center piece isn't what anyone else has living under there. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
I think the corvette is for taking your wife to dinner and impressing the germans while driving there. the camaro is for pissing off your neighbors while ripping the neighborhood pavement up. either way, american. so what kind of personality/message do you want to send. I'd go camaro all the way if you are going to mod both. or corvette if you are going to keep it stock.
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Warpaint69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFisch View Post
I think the corvette is for taking your wife to dinner and impressing the germans while driving there. the camaro is for pissing off your neighbors while ripping the neighborhood pavement up. either way, american. so what kind of personality/message do you want to send. I'd go camaro all the way if you are going to mod both. or corvette if you are going to keep it stock.
Very well said.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint69 View Post
Very well said.
See I grew up racing ever since I was 15 and I know what it takes just to keep these modded cars going. Just one mess up and that's your motor... I remember when I was 18 and blowing my first motor $15,000 blown. So I'm not sure if I want to take that route or just go with a 2015 z51 3lz and put a super charger on it there is one right now for $55,000 not bad at all
Old 11-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I would go twin turbo, add a wide body kit and put a new clutch in as those cars can be a bitch on clutches when doing a burnout.... apparently
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I would go twin turbo, add a wide body kit and put a new clutch in as those cars can be a bitch on clutches when doing a burnout.... apparently
I love the wide body kits on the Camaro and a good shop to put 1000 hp to the wheels but I'm not sure or where to start looking. Anyone know of any good shops in Texas near the Dallas area? To do work to the motor as well as put a wide body kit on my Camaro I do have a bomex wide body kit sitting in my barn just haven't gotten to it yet
Old 11-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
Warpaint69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityCamaro View Post
See I grew up racing ever since I was 15 and I know what it takes just to keep these modded cars going. Just one mess up and that's your motor... I remember when I was 18 and blowing my first motor $15,000 blown. So I'm not sure if I want to take that route or just go with a 2015 z51 3lz and put a super charger on it there is one right now for $55,000 not bad at all
My hobby outside of my Camaro is dirt track racing. Had a GM 604 crate engine in a modified for 20 nights blow up just idling in the pits after unloading it. Piston broke around the wrist pin. $6,000 boat anchor. It can happen to anything.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint69 View Post
My hobby outside of my Camaro is dirt track racing. Had a GM 604 crate engine in a modified for 20 nights blow up just idling in the pits after unloading it. Piston broke around the wrist pin. $6,000 boat anchor. It can happen to anything.
I'm really leaning to a white zo6 I'm just tired of motors breaking and then having to rebuild them just bad investments in my opinion. But we will see what the wife says
Old 11-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #11
jolson63

Drives: 2014 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFisch View Post
Right on, dude!!!
jolson63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
Having had a highly modded car (a Corvette), I would take the Z06 over a modded Camaro. I got so tired of always wrenching on the car, always fixing something, always shelling out more bucks. The idea of Tier 1 performance AND a warranty is very nice!

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
with the zo6 you would already be supercharged and you are now. Why you want to twin turbo and ditch the current set up is just from your bad luck you had a streak of. You do not necessarily need a zo6 to get supercharged on the corvette as they take readily to magnuson heartbeat etc and already with 11 second performance for a corvette a guy should be doing tens..... The real question is who are you trying to impress? Why ditch all this money already on a zl1 and then change? With your clutch in now and practice you should be good to go, but you may want to hold on a little as if you liked the zl1 their will be a new one coming down the pike and it will be with all the bells and whistles and the great last hurrah for the Camaros highest h.p. rating ever stock. Its all in what you want, putting money in modded cars is a pit but it can be a fun pit if done right and last a long long time.

Funny thing is not everything goes as planned and that's life. I just read the latest Decembers car and driver..... On their long term drive testing their new corvette crapped the engines bearing on one crank journal and the metal ate the engine.... So g.m. replaced it free ASAP,( took about two weeks), how much hassle do you think the average guy would get for the same problem????? Direct injection can be nice but its also even more advanced and with mods can be even more money...lol Its a absolute for a dyno tune if installing a supercharger and it needs to be tuned right......

Just some things to think about as what is on the other side of the road is : the other side of the road....lol Frankly sometimes I wish I just had my old chevelle with its 406 as its about the experience of driving and having fun and that's what should bring the smile to your face, not how fast on any given track your can go and versus what...the venron gt...lol
Old 11-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
If the Z06 were an option for me, that's the way I would go. Seems like a no brainer to me.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote