Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 12-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #15
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Since it's sounds like you have little or no experience in working on cars, my suggestion would be to first purchase a good illustrated repair manual. You can Google and get numerous sources for them, but I maintain Chilton's Repair Manuals are still the best.

Next, follow advice of those above by getting a basic quality socket set w/ ratchet wrench and extensions (you can do most anything with a 1/2" drive set and a 1/4" drive adapter). Add a couple of good screwdrivers, a nut-driver set w/ Torx and allen head drivers, a trim removal tool, and a good torque wrench (and an adequate sized tool box to put it all in and allow for additional tools, as needed). Look on the "Tools" Forum for more info: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137

Also, as you are doing now, ask questions on this forum. There are many experienced and knowledgeable folks here who know these cars inside and out. Also check the DIY forum for helpful videos and discussions. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I started my tool set in 1960. It was a starter set from Sears with a hand carry tool box. After I bought more tools I had to buy bigger tool boxes. After my third tool box I bought the one pictured below. I only have Craftsman tools. If one gets broken, they will replace it free of charge. You will surely need a floor jack and jack stands sometime.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #17
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
copy of the factory Shop manual
http://www.anxa.de/camaro2010/index....atthandbuch%2F
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
I started my tool set in 1960. It was a starter set from Sears with a hand carry tool box. After I bought more tools I had to buy bigger tool boxes. After my third tool box I bought the one pictured below. I only have Craftsman tools. If one gets broken, they will replace it free of charge. You will surely need a floor jack and jack stands sometime.
Same story here except I started collecting about 1975. Craftsman tools have served me well. But I read recently on line Sears is really struggling to stay afloat in the retail market. Sears/Kmart has been struggling for 3 or 4 years now. Financial quarters substantially in the red, like 300 million dollars.
The latest news I read recently on line is the ship is about to sink for real.

So for a new guy starting out, I think I'd start elsewhere.....maybe the Lowes/Kobalt tools. If Sears does belly up and you lose that warranty/free tool replacement, that just plain sucks.

http://fortune.com/2015/02/26/sears-earnings/

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/08/inve...eddie-lampert/
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #19
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
I was -7 in 1960.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #20
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
home depot has a husky set "mechanics tool set" for 100 bucks flat. It comes with a nice sized steel box and contains sockets for all drives SAE and metric included. doesnt have deep sockets for the 1/2 drive, but its understandable.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #21
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I was -7 in 1960.
I was 26.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #22
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Home Depot 268 piece Husky Mechanic Set on sale for $149. Lifetime warranty, regularly $199. A lot of useful tools for the price. Great on line reviews(for the tools)/free shipping. Nice place to start a tool collection.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mec...8MTS/203541462
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #23
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I had always wanted really nice tools, you know, clean 'em off so they are shiny after the job.

Well I have some like that. But the ones I use routinely are heavy duty but crappy. You want a socket set, sure. SAE and Metric. Six point sockets, 3/4" drive for starters.

But you know what? Go to some yardsales. And consider impact socket tools even if you don't have an impact wrench.
I agree with the impact socket tools, they're a thicker better quality. I've thrashed enough cheap sockets in my day.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #24
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I was -7 in 1960.
Me too and I was my Dad's "go-fer" when it can to fixing cars, mowers, squeaky hinges, etc. You name it. I learned what tools did what at a very young age and (perhaps more importantly) how to improvise when the tool you thought would work... didn't.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #25
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK
Be sure to get quality jack stands and a floor jack. Don't take chances when it comes to safety.

RotoFab CAI - VMaxx Ported TB - Apex Catch Can - CFD Shifter - Choppers Inc Loaded Dice Shift Knob
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #26
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
O.P. You couldn't be in better company. I too had never worked on my cars before until I got my baby. The folks on Camaro 5 are absolutely the best! They gave me the confidence to do mods and work on my car. Don't forget YouTube either.......they have some great DIY videos.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #27
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfinkharley View Post
Be sure to get quality jack stands and a floor jack. Don't take chances when it comes to safety.
And ramps
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #28
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
Good to have. Thanks for posting.