Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #85
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
please tell me what cars will beat the SS

and the OP said the SS is not violently quick so what would make a car with less hp and torque quicker

unless he wants a car that weighs less
You forgot to add "in the same price range" as well...
Old 09-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #86
BAD BRAD

Drives: 1969 CAMARO 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post
Thanks for the backround check lol! Yeah I ahve been up in the air and I was thna. I won't deny that. But, unfortunatley the car was advertised to be sometihng it wasn't a sports car. All these tests done to it and this tuning, and the supposed extra mile GM was going that delayed this vehicle countless times to give us the best Camaro ever. And, it couldn't even beat Ford's mUstang on a track! There is something wrongh there. But, I don't care about magazines I'm telling you as someone who has driven Vette's Porsche's, etc... This car is not what it was made out to be. Despite what ost of you think. When you label a car a sports car, nevermind the "Sports CAr of the 21st Century," it better live up to be it. But I can't blame GM's marketing department for trying to make the Camaro out to be the second comnig of JC! Anyways I'm done arguing with everyone I'm trying to not be biased here with an open mind about my LS3 SS but it will get me nowhere on a Camaro fourm. I am just trying to help those who haven't boghut the car yet to think twice and test it first. Because most of us that have our cars now didn't have the oppurtunity we preordered them.
I think you are wrong it is a sports car for many reasons the main reason is it is not a 4 door family wagon, has nice motor,sus,looks like sports car feels like sports car it must be a sports car sorry you dont like dont spoil the car for furture buyers with your bad advice.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #87
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
You forgot to add "in the same price range" as well...
yea,

the only cars i can think of that will beat the camaro are a 2008 vette which starts at like 40+k idk , 2010 gt500 which is 50k
the only ones i could think of

what beats the 2010 camaro SS and is in the same price range (32k to 36k
Old 09-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #88
Brian2SS/RS
Giggity

Drives: 2009 Malibu 1LT
Different Strokes For Different Folks. I haven't got mine yet but I can hardly wait. I know I will be satisfied. I love the muscle car feel and the sporty feel. Good combination of both I say.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #89
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Well after waiting 3 years for this car to finally be in my driveway since I saw it in the magazine it has been nothing short of a dissapointment. The car feels heavier than it is, the vision out of it is very oddly shaped. And this car is not violently quick, which isn't a big deal but after driving a Vette for 4 years it isn't the same. But, I knew the Camaro wouldn't be a Vette. It seems I let the hype and nostalgia of this vehicle persuade me to have to have one in my driveway immediately. I always loved Vettes and Camaros, but once you get past the cool factor of this car and the fact that is has a Vette motor, without the Vette power, it just isn't doing it for me. Please don't flame me for coming on here and giving my honest opinion of the car. I just want others to know what the SS really has to offer.

The fact is I love sports cars and the Camaro is not a sports car it's a sports coupe! Forget the fact that GM is advetising this car as the "Sports Car of the 21st Century!" It is not a sports car. It handles poorly when driving in tight mountain roads which I love to do with my toys. Too much body roll and steering isn't tight enoguh.

I'm afraid that my worst fears have come true about this car. Ever since the first test in the magazine I figured this would happen. This car is great for what it is, but not for someone who really loves sports cars and what sports cars really are. Sports cars are fun to drive in all situations, Camaro doesn't fit the bill all the time. A sports car communicates with its driver at all times, Camaro puts you on hold most of the time. These cars are sports coupes trying to reveive the muscle car era big engines go fast. Yes they obviously turn alot better and brake better than ever, and the Camaro is also very suitable for highway driving and comfortable on bumpy roads, but it isn't enough.

I need to enjoy driving my car and I'm sharing this info for others to read that haven't purchased the Camaro and haven't driven one yet. I'm not saying to listen to me I think you should go drive one. Who knows you mgiht fall in love with one. But, there needs to be criticism here, this fanboy atmosphere of I don't care what you think because you killing the Camaro. I'm entitled to my opinion especially after forking over $35k for a Camaro. And people that haven't purchased one need to see this criticism of the car, because you are on a Camaro forum and it is very unlikely that you will get a non biased opinion because this is the Camaros home for fans.

I've tried to love this car, I really have, but I shouldn't have to. The car has ben so hyped that it falls way short in my opinion. And hopefully GM gets their act together and brings out a Camaro that is better handling and lighter. I will be test driving some 370Z's this weekend and I know they will be a fun car to drive nothing is final in my decision yet, but the Camaro ma have just lost another valued cutomer that GM needs!
Sounds like you should take out a loan and buy an E92 M3.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #90
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I see both sides of this discussion. The OP bought the car and isn't happy with it. Period. As a life-long Camaro fan and 3-time owner, I don't take personal offense to his comments or opinion. Perhaps GM shouldn't have marketed this as a 21st century sports car, but rather as a 21st century muscle car. To the OP, I'm sorry that the Camaro didn't meet your expectations as well as it does for the majority of the owners here. Best of luck to you and I hope you find the car that fits the bill. You definitely won't have any trouble selling the Camaro.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #91
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
I am glad I'm not the only one, although you have a V6 which is probably even more of a drop off in power. Yeah the G37 is nice but I'd rather have only 2 seats. One of the things I didn't like about the Camaro in the frist place was 4 seats I have 2 cars don't need both to have 4 seats. 370Z would be better for me than G37. And, everyone I get the fact the Z is less powerful but not that far off the Camaro SS as one mgiht think. But in every other aspect it whoops a SS! I'd rather modify a car to go faster than to have to make it turn and feel crisp behind the wheel!
Not here to flame you. I too own the Camaro and a Vette. Both very different cars, with different purposes and "personalities". I ordered the Camaro sight unseen, but suspected it would not be a pocket rocket. I sort of knew the Camaro would be a compromise of sorts and my 9/10th driver, and the Vette would be w/end 10/10ths driver. And yes living in NY with the patched pot marked roads can be annoying, but I view it as a challenge to practice my boy racer skills miss the patches and beat my previous times around the mountain, on and off ramps, etc.
I'm hearing mixed messages from you and I'm a bit confused. You write "One of the things I didn't like about the Camaro in the frist place was 4 seats..." Not sure if this was a major turnoff, but it certainly was well known, especially since the concept was a 4 seater. And I'm not sure why it was something you didn't like.

You also write "I'd rather modify a car to go faster than to have to make it turn and feel crisp behind the wheel!" but earlier you sarcastically wrote "Yeah let me dump another $5k-$10k into my car to be able to turn properly in the monutains and go faster." You also wrote that you're "in the auto business" We'd be intersested in what capacity, since one would think that the things that are important to you would have been extensively researched before your purchase. Mmmmm

In any case, I hope your next choice, if it is the 370Z, is all you expect it to be. (Just make sure you take it for a long test drive thru the mountains...LOL). Seriously though, best of luck and let us know what you finally decide (is the Genesis on your short list?) and give us a fair comparison.

Mine at sunset
Old 09-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #92
Hoddi
Camaro Girl ~

Drives: 2010 Camaro
You're speaking foreign to me
Old 09-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #93
DTM
DTMphotography

Drives: 10' Camaro SS
I'm kind of baffled as to most of the stuff you're complaining about, If you don't like the handling go buy sway bars and coilovers. If you want a lightweight sports car buy a corvette. I also find it weird that you've waited this long for chevy to release it's latest muscle and now you're looking into a japanese 3.7L

hmmm...
Old 09-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #94
christianjax

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Maybe you'd like to donate your weak SS to someone who has been hurt by the economy and hasn't been able to fulfill thier dreams of owning one. Namely ME.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #95
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
how much miles have you gotten on your SS? maybe it isnt broken in yet
Old 09-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #96
Arioch

Drives: 2010 Camaro Victory Red 2SSRS
I've owned a Pontiac Solistice and although not as fast as either the Camaro or Corvette, it was light, nimble, and really handled curves well. I could take extremely sharp turns, felt like almost a 90 degree turn at around 40-45 miles an hour. Lots of fun.

I have a Camaro SS and its a blast. It's obvious to me that the car is not as nimble as the Solstice was. However I took the SS on a curvy mountain road. Posted speeds on the curves were 25 and I was doing around 45 with the Camaro. I was in total control of the car, and the car was handingly really well. I might have been able to push it to 50 or 55, but 45 was the limit on my confidence/skill. In any event the SS did not feel like a dog. It also didnt feel like it was a night and day difference between how the Solstice would have been in the same situation compared to the SS. The Solstice would have done better but not by a huge factor.

No I'm not an expert driver, but I do enjoy driving cars. From my experience the SS's handling isnt crap, its pretty darn good. Obviously your going to be able to take it a bit further with a corvette, solstice, or something similar.

The power is fantastic for the price.

So for me the car is amazing, plus it feels like a 60's muscle car, which I just love.

Sorry your purchase didnt work out for you and I hope you find something you like. But I'll have to disagree that the handling on the SS is rubbish. I think its extremely good for the kind of car that it is.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #97
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Please sell your SS to some one who will enjoy it, GM really isn't losing a customer because you already bought it. Maybe you can figure out what it is that you really want because you contradict yourself. Good luck and goodbye.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #98
My new Camaro

Drives: 2500 hd
this car does handle poorly and is alittle big, but its so damn cool.and ive drove the z great car but its not even close to as good looking asthe camaro

Closed Thread