Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
He refers to the soft rubber forming a flat spot when the car is parked and having to work it out when first driving.
Which is precisely what happens with fibreglas belted tires, and is exactly what I was talking about
Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Dallas90

Drives: Victory Red 2013 SS/RS Dual Mode
They have a better wear rating than the Pirelli's so we'll see. I'll be happy to report back in a year, but they are so much better it would take a huge drop off within the year to get down to the level of brand new p-zeros.
Dallas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
GroundPilot

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS "Bridgette"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I'm really glad you made this decision. Think of this way, in five years you will have an American classic, as all Camaros, ok some Camaros are, but if you had traded for a BMW, then in five years you have a used piece of crap. I don't mean all BMW's are pieces of crap, but cars like that when the are used, are just used cars, nothing special about them.
Unless it is an M3 convertible, definitely a "special" car, though priced more like a ZL1 than an SS.
GroundPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
GroundPilot

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS "Bridgette"
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Kern View Post
Quite a few times, on many of my vehicles, I've found that a new set of tires cures lots of problems. Especially if they are an older set.
I'm definitely going to research the next set that goes on my Camaro.
Yup...and even more critical on a motorcycle! I cannot tell you how much a difference new shoes make on my bike.

Gonna keep the Goodyears in mind for when mine wear out.
GroundPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #19
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I am really still suprised you have not done the sways yet. Everyone on this board thinks it's one of the biggest changes to the handling of the car, including myself. For the price of a set of good sway bars, the payoff is amazing.

I was one also glad to see the P-Zeros go, I was not a fan of them either.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
ss1letx

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
+1 for the 1LE
and bmw's have hill start. i have a buddy that has one and its a 328i i think turbo strait 6 so a newer one and it has it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
You sound like a more advanced driver than a lot of folks around here. You'd probably do really well with the 1LE. I wish my life was more exciting, but my driving consists of stoplights and straight highways and the SS is pretty good in those areas
ss1letx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
ss1letx

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
just as a heads up the tires wear ratings are all manufacturer specific so comparing a goodyear to a goodyear will work ok but goodyear to pirelli will not be the same. 12 years in the tire industry with the largest independently owned tire company for my background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas90 View Post
They have a better wear rating than the Pirelli's so we'll see. I'll be happy to report back in a year, but they are so much better it would take a huge drop off within the year to get down to the level of brand new p-zeros.
ss1letx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
Dallas90

Okay, but I haven't heard anyone on here praising the P-0 for it's long life either. Most of what I'm hearing is 20K or less, so unless the "control tire" Goodyear used for their UTQGS certification had a life of 5K or less then I should be able to expect 20K or better from these.
I will do the sways, but I've been fanny deep in gators for the last month or so. Trying to get my mom in assisted living and get all of her affairs in order, the car and a whole lot of other stuff is on the back burner. Did get the windows tinted, really liking that!
Old 04-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #23
Dallas90

Back 18 months or so ago, someone asked me to "chime back in" after I had the Goodyears for more than a year.
So the word is, they are still great! I still have better grip than the P-o's had brand new. (as judged by the "traction control active " not popping up in my HUD). The still handle great, with excellent feedback and grip. Haven't pushed them too close to breakaway but they appear to have gentle breakaway characteristics. Still the best change I've made to the car, with killing off CAGS and HSA close runners up.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #24
Dallas90

Now up to 30 months and still loving the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Also, noticed the new ZL1 has Goodyears as did the 2016 roll-out car. Maybe they got smart and gave up on the poor performing P-zero's. If so......good move!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #25
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas90 View Post
Now up to 30 months and still loving the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Also, noticed the new ZL1 has Goodyears as did the 2016 roll-out car. Maybe they got smart and gave up on the poor performing P-zero's. If so......good move!
Hi - I got P-Zeros and since having the motor upgraded (only CAI/headers/cats/cat-back/tune) the car now snakes quite noticeably under hard acceleration. Good buddy of mine is a test driver for Jag/McLaren and had a drive of it - reckons it could be tyre composition as well as possibly ambient temp that's causing it - I'm tempted to try different rubber when they're due - what is the exact spec/size of the tyre you fitted? - Thanks, Ed.