Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #29
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammy Clemens View Post
First off, let me say thank you to everyone who posted their advice and guidance, it means A LOT. but to try and answer some of the posts stated above, I'll be honest, I'm terrible at math. Plain and simple. So as for the engineering side I'm not too interested. However, I'm majoring in hospitality management, specifically hotel management (it's what my pops did his whole life and he made big bucks being an executive in the Dallas area) and I'm minoring in Business, seems that it's a very popular degree as it would make sense because the whole world is essentially business focused. And just to add a few things... (and I'm not trying to brag just adding some extra info about myself)

-I have a 4.5 GPA out of 5
-I'm a BSA Eagle Scout
-I LOVED Legos when I was younger, I mean I had a whole damn room dedicated to me creations.
-I find leading groups of people fun and exceptionally natural to me.

Again, thank you
Are you going to the Hilton college at UH? My wife got her masters from there....i'm in town, hit me up if you want to chat..I work downtown for one of the oil companies, and she is an engineering recruiter (yes, an engineering recruiter with a double major in Econ/Int'l Business, and a masters in Hospitality from the Hilton school...)

Last edited by hazy; 03-22-2016 at 11:17 AM.
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #30
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Being in the hospitality for 10 years as a chef then getting out I can tell you one thing, do not follow that field. The money isn't there and you will spend more time at the job than with friends and family. Kiss your weekends, nights, holidays, and social life goodbye because you will spend most of your time at your job. It might sound fine now but eventually you may not like it anymore and want out and you'll be back at square one. Ask anyone in that industry why they are in that position and I believe most will say they are getting a degree to get out of they have given up because it was to hard for them to go somewhere or lazy. If you want to get into automotive industry, like others said go for engineering and work your a$$ off to get into the position you want. I'm going for software developing as my second degree. So go with what your gut says cause most of the time it's right.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #31
id10terrordfw

Drives: 2015 Crystal Red 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmGT View Post
I work in local government and there are some opportunities for people with your degrees because there are thousands of cities, counties, and towns in the United States.
This. I'm also with local government, and even dealing with rampant stupidity, it's better than retail!

<---IT nerd
Old 03-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #32
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrivera91 View Post
Where'd you start from if you don't mind me asking.
I'm an attorney for a local government so I didn't get into it at an entry level and work my way up but local governments do so many things there has to be somewhere you can begin. Many people do internships while in college to gain experience, I'm not sure if you did that. But with your criminal justice degree, you could get a job as a probation officer. Your public administration degree could get you a job as Parks and Recreation program manager; you could be the head of a small program and gain experience and move up the ranks to manage larger programs or to even manage an entire department. I would suggest simply going to the job vacancy webpages of some of the local governments near; many of the professional jobs look for people with bachelor's degrees in public administration.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #33
xrivera91

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmGT View Post
I'm an attorney for a local government so I didn't get into it at an entry level and work my way up but local governments do so many things there has to be somewhere you can begin. Many people do internships while in college to gain experience, I'm not sure if you did that. But with your criminal justice degree, you could get a job as a probation officer. Your public administration degree could get you a job as Parks and Recreation program manager; you could be the head of a small program and gain experience and move up the ranks to manage larger programs or to even manage an entire department. I would suggest simply going to the job vacancy webpages of some of the local governments near; many of the professional jobs look for people with bachelor's degrees in public administration.
Thanks for that. That helps a lot. I will also have 12 Graduate degree credits so I hear that always helps.
xrivera91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #34
id10terrordfw

Drives: 2015 Crystal Red 2SS/RS A6
governmentjobs.com works pretty well...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #35
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammy Clemens View Post
First off, let me say thank you to everyone who posted their advice and guidance, it means A LOT. but to try and answer some of the posts stated above, I'll be honest, I'm terrible at math. Plain and simple. So as for the engineering side I'm not too interested. However, I'm majoring in hospitality management, specifically hotel management (it's what my pops did his whole life and he made big bucks being an executive in the Dallas area) and I'm minoring in Business, seems that it's a very popular degree as it would make sense because the whole world is essentially business focused. And just to add a few things... (and I'm not trying to brag just adding some extra info about myself)

-I have a 4.5 GPA out of 5
-I'm a BSA Eagle Scout
-I LOVED Legos when I was younger, I mean I had a whole damn room dedicated to me creations.
-I find leading groups of people fun and exceptionally natural to me.

Again, thank you

Sounds like you should consider looking at the business side of the auto industry rather than the technical side. Your last point makes it sound like you are an extrovert so I'd look at careers within Human Resources, Sales/Marketing, or training. All of which can be applied to other industries besides the auto industry as well - bonus points if you ever need to move or get caught up in a layoff.

The last bit of advice I can give is that if you can afford the extra time and cost, look into seeing if you can finish a Master's degree in your field of choice before leaving college. There are quite a few schools that have an extended degree plan that will allow you to leave with a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in the same field with only 1 additional year of school by applying some of your undergrad classes towards your graduate level degree plan. You are still in 'school' mode so its going to be easier than graduating, working, and then trying to go back later for your Master's degree. This will help separate you from the vast majority of new grads when looking for that first job out of school. http://careers.gm.com/student-center/mba.html

Best of luck to you!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #36
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
If I could do it all over again I would NOT get into the Criminal Justice/Criminology field. Plain and simple there is not money in it unless you plan for law school. Im in the law enforcement field and its "mediocre" at best. Average pay, average benefits, and average life. I do have to say though you will learn a lot, work a ton, help different people, and make "eh" money but best of all no one appreciates you in this field. I am not sour about it, it is just the honest truth until someone is scared and needs your help than yes you are made out to be a hero for a brief second. Other than that all I can say is get an engineering degree, special trade, or medical degree. Those will benefit you the most. Good luck buddy!
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #37
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
If I could do it all over again I would NOT get into the Criminal Justice/Criminology field. Plain and simple there is not money in it unless you plan for law school. Im in the law enforcement field and its "mediocre" at best. Average pay, average benefits, and average life. I do have to say though you will learn a lot, work a ton, help different people, and make "eh" money but best of all no one appreciates you in this field. I am not sour about it, it is just the honest truth until someone is scared and needs your help than yes you are made out to be a hero for a brief second. Other than that all I can say is get an engineering degree, special trade, or medical degree. Those will benefit you the most. Good luck buddy!
So sad isn't it. Get disrespected until they need help. I salute our officers in this generation, keep at it.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #38
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
You're a cop here in SA? What is it like being a cop here? Gotta imagine it sucks for the most part with all these psychos.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #39
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
@Ace0751, thank you buddy this job can be tough.

@Dmpsix, SA has a lot of controversy in scope of LEO's, but at the same time its a beautiful city and every little bit that officers do on a daily basis help.
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #40
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Got a few friends that are in different positions of law enforcement and hear stories all the time. This generation is disrespectful because we have video catching these people now and believe most are like that which is completely not true. Again OP, go with that your gut tells you just look at both sides before making that push for the degree.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #41
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
go to med school
not trolling.
I'll be looking out for you in 7-8 years saying "I remember that guy on Camaro5 forums told me to go to med school and I'm glad he did!"
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #42
elderon1973

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Are you wanting to work on or help design vehicles or just work for the company? I work for Autotrader.com and I do IT work for example. Don't rule out IT if your interested in different facets of computers.
elderon1973 is offline   Reply With Quote