Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
JaniMaks
~ Confused ~

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Smile MRT V2 and VTC first Impressions

Hello C5 family,

I have seen plenty of posts asking for information on the MRT and VTC, and since I installed them both a few days ago, I wanted to share my experience with all. So here we go

The Setup:

2014 2LS - CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake - MRT v2 - VTC

VTC Impressions :

The VTC is indeed a wonderful mod, the cheapest and the most bang for the buck that I have seen so far. So what does it do for you, on the pure non-technical side of things it gives a new life to your car. Much more responsive, accelerator is tippy, you will have harder/faster pulls from stops.

Answers to a few common questions:

• Will it improve 0-60?
Yes but just by a fraction, I would say a 1/10th improvement. But the car will for sure seems much faster than before.
  • What mode is the best mode?
For the start/stop city driving I would say SP3 would do the job. SP5 or 6 when you are in a spirited mood. Anything above that and you will be seriously taxing your V6.
  • What about the fuel economy?
Absoultly horrible from my experience. At least my one full day of driving in SP6, I reset the on board counter and drooped to 10MPG.
  • Any issues during the installation?
One word, pain in the ass to get to the harness under the gas pedal. One more thing it just didn't feel right the first time, so i re-calibrated the next day. The process is easy and takes less than a minute to re-calibrate. FYI I did call VTC support to ask if it was ok to just re-calibrate or do i have to plug/unplug, they said no need and to go ahead with my re-calibration.

MRT v2 Impressions :

Absolute blast, gives your car a brand new personality. Felt a performance boost as well, felt like the car was breathing more freely and the combined weight saving of (I think) at least 80lbs was also great.

Answers to a few common questions:
  • Is the version 2 loud?
Yes, God yes it is freaking loud. Cold starts and spirited driving believe me you will get noticed. When the engine is hot its much more subdued.
  • What about the drone?
Present during highway driving but honestly not that noticeable at all. In-cabin noise is something you would expect any how if you use a performance exhaust, so i guess its a byproduct you just can't get rid off. I have been in Megnaflow and Borla cars (both Mustangs) and the in cabin noise was just plain horrible. This is more quieter in my opinion.
  • What about the installation?
You can install it yourself if you have the space and the proper equipment, I do not so i went to a muffler shop and paid $80. I actually had to go back the next day since the right side exhaust tip was touching the rear (lack of better words) bumper after a day of driving, probably the clamp just got loose or something. I was advised to (tack??) weld it, which I agreed and all is good now, so i have the clamp and one spot is welded.
Interesting finding:

With my current setup I actually found out that the VTC can double as a volume controller for the MRT . Want a quieter drive set your VTC to SP0, rumble on the streets set it to SP6, want cops attention SP8 it is.

I hope this non-technical review was beneficial and would help some people make the right decision.

CAI Cold Air Intake, MRT V2 (03/01/2016), VTC (03/01/2016)
JaniMaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Great post! Regarding the drone at highway speeds, many people have installed a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe to fight it. It does a good job but does reduce volume a little. But if it doesn't bother you then need to mess with it.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I see no feasible way a VTC improves 0-60 by any amount. I can see someones butt dyno feeling it does, but not in actuality. Just my two sense. Nice write up though. Glad you are happy with your mods.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
kenw

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
I did the same mods to my 2012 1LT. It's a much improved driving experience.

CAI/VTC/Factory Gauges/BMR Strut Tower Brace/19" Avrus AV12 Wheels/Pirelli P-Zero Tires/RPI Designs Splash Guards/MRT V2.0 Axle Back/Vmax Ported Throttle Body/Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer/Overkill tune/Phastek X5 1" lowering springs/Overkill Supercharger
kenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
My shop charged $100 for my V2, but they welded the whole thing on, no clamps.

Your assessment sounds about the same as my experience with the MRT V2. I thought it a bit too loud at first, but I am a musician, and now I have grown to love the sound. It clearly sounds "tuned". I have fun in tunnels.

MY third attempt at a CAI should be here tomorrow. First (Volant) did not fit. Second, AF Dynamic, threw the P2179 lean code. This one is top of the line Airaid, with a pre-filter. Can't wait to get it installed!

I found a slightly used VTC on the classifieds, should be here any day

Thanks for the report.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
Cenafan85

So how would you rate the drone on a scale 1 to 10 ? just trying to decide if I should spend the money on J Pipes
Cenafan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #7
ShadowYYZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT Deep Magenta
I don't mind drone but if it makes a dramatic impact using the mrt 2. I will take it haha. My car just has the CAI intake.
ShadowYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Def some drone with the MRT V2.

Not annoying at highway speeds. Only time it bugs me is around town stop and go. JMHO
Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
JaniMaks
~ Confused ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenafan85 View Post
So how would you rate the drone on a scale 1 to 10 ? just trying to decide if I should spend the money on J Pipes
Drone at 2500-3000 RPM on a scale of 1-10 i would say a 5 or a 6. But its not loud or annoying enough to ruin your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowYYZ View Post
I don't mind drone but if it makes a dramatic impact using the mrt 2. I will take it haha. My car just has the CAI intake.
Yes it does, and with CAI breathing more air you are in for a treat compared to stock.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
LBJ

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LS. M6
The sound will get better in time I would say about 8 hundred miles after my install the sound change for the better. ..imo
Mods..mrt v2. Cai intake v max throttle body. 20% windo tint & RX catch can Gianna 20in rims nitto 555 & afterburner tail lights RS halo head lights & gm heat extractor 4 pack gauges & panted heritage Grille & zl1rear sproler t5 splitter custom head rest
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
JaniMaks
~ Confused ~

So its been about a month and half now that i have installed the MRT-2 and VTC and it has been a blast. Everytime I drive i just want to gun it

The truth is I brought the MRT to give my Jani a little charachter and that since it will be loud i will refrain from treating every traffic light as the starting point of a race track, well that back fired.

In any case here a few more thoughts and two very raw videos:

VTC:

In the past month and a half i pretty much tried every SP number there is, both in local and "spirited" driving and i have finally settled with 3 and 5. SP3 for normal day to day and SP5 when I want a thrilled drive.

So you may ask why not 6 and above, the V6 just doesn't play nice. I am not an auto engineer but the timing have to be correct for the fuel and the air to mix correctly and produce the thrust that you need. 6 and above just didn't seem right, the car would hesitate at the launch. Yes you will have a tippy accelerator but that initial hesitation didn't do for me. With my setup SP5 works the best, i will leave the 6 and above for modded cars.

MRT:

If you want a volume controller for your MRT, get the VTC and a CAI. My step produces just the sound that i want, even the drone is tasteful. Yes i said the D word, there is drone but its sweet and lovely.

With Version 2 its not always ON, so when you are at a traffic light or a stop sign you will not notice it much provided your car is hot. Yeah start it in the morning and you will get instantly noticed.

It opens up really nicely in the 2500 - 3500 RPM. It will give your car a character. Does not sound like those cheap fart boxes that you see on Honda . Very deep drone while driving under 30.

Today after getting lunch from a local store i decided to use my cell phone video camera to try to capture a few passes on the local roads here.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
I had the same setup on my V6 (Roto Fab CAI though) and the car was a blast to drive. Definitely the 3 best minor mods you can do for a V6.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote