Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Mr.T1982

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Where can I get headers installed in WI or MN?

Does anyone know of a good place to install headersin the WI or MN area? I am in west central Wisconsin.

Thank you.
Mr.T1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
There is a place in Point, I think it is D & D Auto
Old 08-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.T1982 View Post
Does anyone know of a good place to install headersin the WI or MN area? I am in west central Wisconsin.

Thank you.
This is a really simple job. Just time consuming if your doing it on jackstands and no air compressor. I did headers, catback, CAI, and custom tune in less than a day. Plus, nothing like doing it yourself and then hearing that satisfaction on startup.

Otherwise a header install can cost a few hundred. Save your money for tires! lol
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Yea I never thought I could do it myself until I called around and all the estimates were $400-$500 lmao
Old 08-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #5
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
This car has got to be one of the easiest to install headers on. If you have a means to jack it up... It is very possible to do by yourself... And a breeze if you have help. My wife and I did her car.
Jacking up the car, and removing the O2 sensors were the hardest parts.
If your car is under 50k miles you should seriously consider re-using the OEM Gasket... IF you have a fear of having to do it again... Then Amazon has the GM gasket for cheap. Don't be tempted to use gaskets other than the OEM style.

Plenty of DIY threads... Use the install money you saved to pay for a proper tune.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #6
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
As others said, your garage is the best place. It isn't very difficult and specialty tools are at a minimum. Other than a spark plug wrench/socket. You can get the O2 sensors out with a regular open ended wrench. Get some penetrating lube and already the threads a few minutes before attempting to get them out and if necessary use a rubber mallet on your wrench to get them to turn. When tightening torque to 10 ft/lbs from the middle bolts out and then 18 ft/lbs again from the middle out. If you don't have a torque wrench you can borrow one from a local parts store. Good luck and happy wrenching!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
My front O2 sensors were seized... I let them soak in penetrating oil....Used a torch... Still seized...
Ended up twisting them off! Amazon Prime to the rescue... (cheapest place I could find the GM Sensors) Local parts stores did not have them in stock (For a 2014, about a year ago)

The thing is even if that is the case for you... you still save money... I paid about $55 for the sensor... Local Parts store would have been over $80. A shop would have simply said, one of the sensors broke, and we had to install a new one. Here is your bill $150 higher than we quoted.

If you are going to do it yourself... Get some real penetrating oil, not just WD40, and apply to the sensors Friday night... Apply more Saturday morning, while you wait on your buddy to show to help. Try to remove them, If you can then - start the process, If you can't you have to decide if you are ready to purchase more.

Most people did not have the trouble that I did... I will say as you research you will find several that did, but it is not the norm.

With the money you saved you can buy a tune, or tools! The more tools you have the easier the next job will be.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Yea I never thought I could do it myself until I called around and all the estimates were $400-$500 lmao
That's cheap compared to the quotes I got, $900-$1200 here in SD. I rather do it myself. Oh, yeah, and invest in some PB blaster that shit works!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Can you just put the car up on ramps?
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Can you just put the car up on ramps?
I used Rhino ramps then jacked it up some more and put thick wooden blocks under the front tires with jack stands for safety

I'm big enough I can't easily fit under the car though, it's not a hard install though. As others said even a complete noob can do it in an afternoon, and I'm a complete noob lol
Old 08-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #11
ksmrz

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Yeah I'm not to sure I'd go to D&D.. I'd do it yourself and get a canned tune. Easy to do if you have jack stands and a floor jack. Just take your time and however long it takes it takes.
2010 2SS LS3 228/235 Cam Motion custom ground cam, AI 280cc ported heads, Dynatech 1 7/8" long tubes, catless mids, CAI intake, ATI 10% UDP, CORSA cat back, Slp 160 tstat, gm 3.91s/Tru trac, EFI LIVE tuned by myself
ksmrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
Subzero

Drives: Black 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
If you're uncomfortable performing the install yourself, Doug Rippie Motorsports in Waverly, MN is where I go to get everything done. He rebuilt my LS3 into a 416ci and tuned it up. Nothing but praise for Todd (Shop Mechanic) and Doug (Engines).
Subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #13
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero View Post
Doug Rippie Motorsports in Waverly, MN is where I go to get everything done. Nothing but praise for Todd (Shop Mechanic) and Doug (Engines).
I agree - I won't let any other shop touch my Camaro!
Edelbrock EForce - Stainless Works Headers - BMR Sways & Arms & Toe Links & Control Arm Bushings & End Links - Rotofab CAI - Assorted Interior, Exterior, Underhood Bling - Red Jewel Stripes & Full Body Clear - Lexani LX15 Wheels - JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade - Kenne Bell BAP - Heartthrob XPipe - Elite Catch Can - Pedders Cradle & Front Arm Bushings - Hotchkis Strut Brace - MSD Wires - Carbotech Brakes - DSS 1000HP Axles & Driveshaft - Mickey Thompson Tires - Halo Harness - AutoMeter A/F, Boost, Fuel Pressure Gauges - Whats Next?
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote