Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 10-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #141
n813ca

Drives: 2106 SS
Let's tango. How old are you?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #142
n813ca

I don't need your response that the car was in the dirt. I showed you the picture. The fact that a brand new 50K plus car can't handle some moisture after less than 2 weeks is my concern. You can keep arguing but if my car looks like this in two weeks... What is your car going to look in 3 years, 7 year, 10 years?
Old 10-18-2016, 11:12 PM   #143
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by n813ca View Post
Let's tango. How old are you?

No let's not tango...

What people are trying to tell you is it makes no difference that it's a Chevy, Nissan, Toyota or any other car would do the same thing under the same conditions. Until they go all aluminum or other non-rust material that's going to happen, especially when you bury it in the grass after owning for 2 weeks.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:21 PM   #144
n813ca

I disagree. If the car has 10 year corrosion warranty it should not be OK if it fails in two weeks

Old 10-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #145
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
My car will look fine. Mine has been up on the lift several times. No scratches. No nasty spots either. I have done rust repairs on vehicles. I am used to 50 yr old cars.

Being annoyed is understandable. The sky is falling is not. That is why this thread ticked people off.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #146
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusvk View Post
My car will look fine. Mine has been up on the lift several times. No scratches. No nasty spots either. I have done rust repairs on vehicles. I am used to 50 yr old cars.

Being annoyed is understandable. The sky is falling is not. That is why this thread ticked people off.

Quote:
I disagree. If the car has 10 year corrosion warranty it should not be OK if it fails in two weeks

and you're way off with that 10 year warranty statement.

What is covered
Sheet Metal:
Corrosion coverage is for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Rust-through coverage is for the first 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

What is not covered
Damage or Corrosion Due to Environment, Chemical Treatments, or Aftermarket Products
Damage Caused by airborne fallout, rail dust, salt from sea air, salt or other materials used to control road conditions, chemicals, tree sap, stones, hail, earthquake, water or flood, windstorm, lightning, the application of chemicals or sealants subsequent to manufacture, etc., is not covered.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:40 AM   #147
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
The cars gonna be fine man. That's typical undercarriage stuff. Yeah, if it only driven on clean dry pavement, sure I would be surprised. But from what you described, I'm not surprised at all.

That grass more likely than not had fertilizer on it that most likely reacted with the moisture and caused some of that. I know that you're disappointed that the undercarriage is no longer pristine, but hey, you've put it in some less than pristine conditions, that's the way it goes.

All that was meant when the school said "approved" parking, was that you can park there. Man, you had to see it was soft, wet grass. If I knew that where I was going was going to have that kind of parking situation, I would've taken the other car.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #148
n813ca

Trust me I would have just walked, but I was running late from getting my headliner replaced for the 3rd time.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #149
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I understand you are annoyed, but this all makes complete sense, let me break it down for you...

- You ran the car down in the mud, and as shown by your previous photos, didn't clean it well. So you had mud that dried and sandwiched moisture between it and the chassis.

- Then to top it off, that grass most likely was full of fertilizers and pesticides, so that just adds to it.

- GM does paint this stuff under there in most cases, which many OEM's don't, but it looks like some of the paint was damaged by the bottoming out. The thing is, everything in your photos is just surface corrosion. It may not look pretty, but it will do no harm. Heck, the rear ends on both of my previous Mustangs were not painted, just raw cast iron, they came from the factory full of corrosion, which is normal, and fine. I choose to paint them afterwards with the stuff I linked below.

- As for your exhaust, that type of stainless steel will discolor and turn that reddish color. That is normal, and not from you bottoming the car out. The OEM's aren't going to use fancy polished looking stainless steel like Borla or Magnaflow does.

- Also, some of the items you show are aluminum, so while you can get some harmless surface corrosion on it, aluminum can not rust. So nothing to worry about there.

- What I would do is powerwash the whole chassis, then get some POR 15 http://www.por15.com and paint the items that got damaged. This can be applied right over the damage, and will stop it, and make it look nice.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #150
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Trust me I would have just walked, but I was running late from getting my headliner replaced for the 3rd time.

Don't know when it stopped but in the mid 70S dealers not GM offered undercoating, it was good for some things but bad in more ways, most of that will clean up, relax its the way most cars are built at this time.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #151
n813ca

Thank you all for your help

Old 10-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #152
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
Every T409 Stainless exhaust I've ever seen looks like yours after a period of time. Likely your muddy incident just hastened the process. The pipes will be fine. One or two of the bolts look sorta corroded for my tastes, but I'm with most of the people here that nothing I see if making me rear my head back in shock.

My 4th gen had a similar look to some of the components when it was young and it never really changed much over the years, and that was with road salt exposure in the North East. 146,000 miles later and I can still work on the car without having to blast it with heat or penetrating oil.

My advice, drown your sorrows in burnouts and have fun with the car.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #153
Camaroky

Drives: 2016 camaro 1SS
Quote:

So wait a minute. You've had the car for 3 weeks and have had to headliner replaced 3 times???
Old 10-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #154
n813ca

No I have had the car for one payment. You have 45 days before payment. I have paid one. And this week would be number two. If you are all going to bash me then I will not appreciate this forum . Yes sadly my headliner has been replaced 3 times.

Closed Thread