Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #295
KenB925

Drives: Raptor
Gonna have to watch this tonight.

When the GT350 first came out I wanted one, I love the sound of the engine, and the fact that Ford had the balls to build it. But they didn't/don't seem to exist in the real world. That, and the 'cool' one, the R doesn't have a back seat, which is a deal breaker for me at the moment.
KenB925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #296
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
I hate to break it to you but your SS isn't fast to me either. Both would have been demolished by several of my previous mustangs.
Oh, certainly there are cars *outside the context of this conversation* that are faster. But they are outside the context of this conversation.
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #297
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Got another call from Ford to ask me if I was ready for the 350R...told them AGAIN that I was in a ZL1 that I got for $3k under sticker & I would be in that car today if they weren't so greedy & I'm not surprised it was still on the lot.

Silence...it's a great car & am sure I would be thrilled as I like all brands, but I'm tickled to death in this A10 & thankful it worked out the way it did.

Honestly, I'm sorta glad they picked the 350R & the Z was faster...folks can determine which car is for them & what their angle is all they want. It's all meaningless to me.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #298
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
I hate to break it to you but your SS isn't fast to me either. Both would have been demolished by several of my previous mustangs.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #299
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
time for Mustang Fanboy to go

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #300
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
This was never about which one was faster. The GT350R was fast enough and had more intangibles. They often don't choose the faster car (see the 2016 best drivers edition). Why everyone is so damn obsessed with owning the faster car is beyond me.
I am not obsessed with owning the faster car. I bought my ZL1 because I got tired of dealing with typical Mustang nonsense. I traded my 15 GT that I got a year ago (and 2010 Camaro SS) for my 17 ZL1. And I took a hit on the 15 GT because I was still upside down in it. Like I said, if the GT350R had won, I would not have cared. I just wanted them to have the balls to announce a winner based off of the only fact that matters...which is who gets around the track faster. Sorry but I'm a car guy. I don't read MT or any other car mag to see a popularity contest. I don't want subjectivity.

Quote:
Actually, there are some here that think Randy was somehow tanking, that the GT350R has better tires, and that's why it was so close etc. People are looking for an excuse here.
Those aren't excuses...they are reasons. Years ago a Vette did very well against a bunch of exotics and MT as well as other mags called them out because they said the tires were the reason it did soo well. Why is this any different. But still, if those are the tires that come with it then I say it is allowed. Still tho despite all that, the ZL1 beat the GT350R on the track and that is what matters. As far as Randy tanking, well I wouldn't put it past him or anyone. Politics have a huge role in these things. People are paying over $60K for the GT350R. You think Ford wants a highly advertised and publicized test to make it look like a complete waste of money? Trust me, higher ups always have a hand in how these tests go and who is declared a winner.

Quote:
And for the record, all of the H2H are not about who's fastest, but what car they think is better....or they desire more. Quite frankly, it's not too far off from what a lot the general public thinks. The GT350R just has that "I'm special" feel to it.
If you ask me, basing a test off of anything that is subjective should not be even remotely considered. I had a S550 GT. Yea I thought it looked awesome. And I thought the 6th Gen SS was ugly. If you dig enough you can probably find posts where I outright said that. But as soon as I got my ZL1, I thought it looked beautiful and my 15 GT didn't look soo hott anymore. Maybe I'm fickle. Point is, anything based on opinion should not be used. "Oh we can drive it easier"...well guess what, there is someone who will say the opposite. "Oh it looks better and is special"...come on, that car is not that special. Zl1 has the first 10 speed auto, it is a WIFI hotspot, has wireless charging, DI, and more. What does the GT350R have that makes it "special"? A flat plane crank and horrible drone? LOL!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #301
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post
Oh, certainly there are cars *outside the context of this conversation* that are faster. But they are outside the context of this conversation.
You mean...like your SS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Negative. This is fun, and I'm not causing any trouble.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #302
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
I don't mind him. He is just speaking his mind like we all are. If he is right about the criteria of the testing then sure, the Mustang wins. But that is a slap in the face to GM and an insult to Ford. I can't see how anyone on either side could be ok with those results. They yanked everyone around.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #303
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
What I gathered from the video:

ZL1 is awesome
GT350R is awesome

Where is the non-R GT350 vs SS 1LE comparison on the same day with the same driver? In fact all four cars on the same day with the same driver would be even better!
2015 GT PP
2014 GT500 SVTPP/Track Pack
2013 Boss 302
2011 GT500 SVTPP
2010 GT500
2005 GT
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #304
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I am not obsessed with owning the faster car. I bought my ZL1 because I got tired of dealing with typical Mustang nonsense. I traded my 15 GT that I got a year ago (and 2010 Camaro SS) for my 17 ZL1. And I took a hit on the 15 GT because I was still upside down in it. Like I said, if the GT350R had won, I would not have cared. I just wanted them to have the balls to announce a winner based off of the only fact that matters...which is who gets around the track faster. Sorry but I'm a car guy. I don't read MT or any other car mag to see a popularity contest. I don't want subjectivity.
Understand, but you have to remember....none of the head to heads are flat out "who's faster" comparisons. They are determining the better car (their opinion). Quite often, the slower car wins.

Quote:
Those aren't excuses...they are reasons. Years ago a Vette did very well against a bunch of exotics and MT as well as other mags called them out because they said the tires were the reason it did soo well. Why is this any different. But still, if those are the tires that come with it then I say it is allowed. Still tho despite all that, the ZL1 beat the GT350R on the track and that is what matters. As far as Randy tanking, well I wouldn't put it past him or anyone. Politics have a huge role in these things. People are paying over $60K for the GT350R. You think Ford wants a highly advertised and publicized test to make it look like a complete waste of money? Trust me, higher ups always have a hand in how these tests go and who is declared a winner.
But they are "made up" reasons. No-one in here can tell how the Goodyears compare to the sport cup 2's, or what difference a tire swap would make. Likewise, it's crazy to call out Randy Pobst as not giving his all, or requesting that someone else drive the in a re-test.

Quote:
If you ask me, basing a test off of anything that is subjective should not be even remotely considered. I had a S550 GT. Yea I thought it looked awesome. And I thought the 6th Gen SS was ugly. If you dig enough you can probably find posts where I outright said that. But as soon as I got my ZL1, I thought it looked beautiful and my 15 GT didn't look soo hott anymore. Maybe I'm fickle. Point is, anything based on opinion should not be used. "Oh we can drive it easier"...well guess what, there is someone who will say the opposite. "Oh it looks better and is special"...come on, that car is not that special. Zl1 has the first 10 speed auto, it is a WIFI hotspot, has wireless charging, DI, and more. What does the GT350R have that makes it "special"? A flat plane crank and horrible drone? LOL!!
Don't get me wrong, I would likely chose a Zl1 over a GT...if not for the extra $30k.

The GT350 has the largest flat plane crank v8 in existence. It rev's to the effing moon and has a crazy broad powerband. The exhaust note is beyond belief. The engine is entirely different than the stock GT. It's something special because of it's engine.

Compare that to the Zl1 that has the same engine as the SS, albeit upgraded to handle the power. It's akin to slapping a supercharger on my GT. Same engine (relatively speaking), more power.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #305
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
I don't mind him. He is just speaking his mind like we all are. If he is right about the criteria of the testing then sure, the Mustang wins. But that is a slap in the face to GM and an insult to Ford. I can't see how anyone on either side could be ok with those results. They yanked everyone around.
I like these discussion. I get tired in the mustang forums listening to everyone circle jerk the same ole same ole.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #306
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Listen, the GT350 (R or non R) is special, and yes it's fast on a track. But I got news for you, it's not quite all that and a bag of chips.

The engine revs but not great, 8200 is cool but that's not much at all compared to most flat plane crank V8s. Yes I know the reasoning behind that, and I'm still saying, they should have done it right. It doesn't have a crazy broad power band LOL. It actually has a power band that's pretty terrible for anything except tracking. And that my friend is FACT. Anytime you're not revving the shit out of the car (At least 5,000+), you pretty much have no torque/power. And it sucks for road use as well (Owners will testify to this). The LT4 on the other hand makes crazy low end power/torque and obviously crazy power up top. So much so that GM had a hard time building a chassis that can handle it, Vette, Camaro, or CTS-V. Of the 3, the ZL1 probably does it the best. And please, don't try to insult here because Ford has yet to build a Chassis that handles the power they've stuffed into their GT500s.

The GT350 interior is plain. Transmissions had problems (I believe a member on here had it). They were priced over sticker at way too much money for what they are which is a stripped out muscle car that got a pretty cool engine and bolted on some expensive light weight wheels with big tires. Hell there's a FORUM just for the PROBLEMS this car has: http://www.gt350.org/forum/40-mustan...roblems-issues

If you're going to slap the ZL1 for being a supercharged SS with a few upgrades, well for one you're wrong, but for two, you're the pot calling the kettle black. Because what do you think Cobras and GT500s have been? Supercharged GTs with a few upgrades...

The 2017+ ZL1 has turned a muscle car corner and any old insults people had for Camaro are now invalid and they're going to have to come up with new ones. Definitely the most advanced muscle car to date.

As for Mustang, maybe they've put some of it behind them too with the GT350. If they're smart, they'll pretty much just supercharge a GT350 and put a few more upgrades on it and they'll have one helluva car.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #307
catdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 pdr roof CF blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Gonna have to watch this tonight.

When the GT350 first came out I wanted one, I love the sound of the engine, and the fact that Ford had the balls to build it. But they didn't/don't seem to exist in the real world. That, and the 'cool' one, the R doesn't have a back seat, which is a deal breaker for me at the moment.
You can order the back seat back in and also the radio and a/c, they are options
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #308
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Listen, the GT350 (R or non R) is special, and yes it's fast on a track. But I got news for you, it's not quite all that and a bag of chips.

The engine revs but not great, 8200 is cool but that's not much at all compared to most flat plane crank V8s. Yes I know the reasoning behind that, and I'm still saying, they should have done it right. It doesn't have a crazy broad power band LOL. It actually has a power band that's pretty terrible for anything except tracking. And that my friend is FACT. Anytime you're not revving the shit out of the car (At least 5,000+), you pretty much have no torque/power. And it sucks for road use as well (Owners will testify to this). The LT4 on the other hand makes crazy low end power/torque and obviously crazy power up top. So much so that GM had a hard time building a chassis that can handle it, Vette, Camaro, or CTS-V. Of the 3, the ZL1 probably does it the best. And please, don't try to insult here because Ford has yet to build a Chassis that handles the power they've stuffed into their GT500s.

The GT350 interior is plain. Transmissions had problems (I believe a member on here had it). They were priced over sticker at way too much money for what they are which is a stripped out muscle car that got a pretty cool engine and bolted on some expensive light weight wheels with big tires. Hell there's a forum for the problem this car has: http://www.gt350.org/forum/40-mustan...roblems-issues

If you're going to slap the ZL1 for being a supercharged SS with a few upgrades, well for one you're wrong, but for two, you're the pot calling the kettle black. Because what do you think Cobras and GT500s have been? Supercharged GTs with a few upgrades...

The 2017+ ZL1 has turned a muscle car corner and any old insults people had for Camaro are now invalid and they're going to have to come up with new ones. Definitely the most advanced muscle car to date.

As for Mustang, maybe they've put some of it behind them too with the GT350. If they're smart, they'll pretty much just supercharge a GT350 and put a few more upgrades on it and they'll have one helluva car.
8200 is nuts for a domestic V8.

As for the power-band, it is broad as hell, look at any dyno. The power-band isn't the entire curve, just the usable portion. Go back and look at the head to head and you'll notice the GT350 is able to hold the shifts longer throughout the entire course.

As for the interior, I'm sorry...I do hate the camaros. I hate the clawfoot instrument console and the slapped on nav screen. I hate the HVAC vents that blow on your damn nuts and hands. The seats look nice, but really that's it.

IMHO, I like the mustangs interior far better than the camaros...sorry. This of course should come as no surprise.

As for the cobras and gt500s...you're absolutely right. That's why the GT350 is that much more special. It has a unique, specially designed engine that is not found on any other vehicle.