Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #71
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0L Turbo
My oil looks dark and it has a bunch of solid particles mixed in it. Is that normal?

Tell me, ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
tsanchez18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #72
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanchez18 View Post
My oil looks dark and it has a bunch of solid particles mixed in it. Is that normal?
Mine seperates into light, dark and semi solids.
When it sits long enough the bottom layer is translucent (mostly gas) the solids suspend in the middle and the dark floats on top; yes the dark and light swap places after sitting...
Attached Images

Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #73
Corner carver

My blowby looks much different from Mishimoto's after seperating...this is Mishi's blow by after sitting:
Attached Images

Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Old 05-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #74
Corner carver

It looks like mine has a higher gas content, but that's only a guess...
Old 05-31-2017, 11:51 AM   #75
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
The content can change depending on the application and the weather. Below is what we caught for our prototype catch can setup for our 2015+ Ford F150 Ecoboost project earlier this winter.

This is just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Different engine, different turbocharged application, different vehicle, but the content is similar in colder weather. It collected in this fashion after I let it sit for several hours, but when we opened up the cans, it looked like milky, latte-ish blow-by.

Cold weather usually yields more watery substance while warmer weather can yield more oily-based content. Gasoline is also slightly altered in the winter from the refinery, so that can change how it looks as well. I know the weather is starting to warm up, so you guys should start seeing a shift in what you catch.

-Diamaan
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #76
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Sorry Evil Bee... I'm not getting what you are cleaning up using the paper towels...? Did some of your fittings get loose enough to leak?
LOL, when I was cleaning out the catch cans. I don't just empty mine I've always emptied washed and out dried them before putting them back on.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #77
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
LOL, when I was cleaning out the catch cans. I don't just empty mine I've always emptied washed and out dried them before putting them back on.
Ah... Should have known, I do the same lol
Old 05-31-2017, 02:03 PM   #78
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
The content can change depending on the application and the weather. Below is what we caught for our prototype catch can setup for our 2015+ Ford F150 Ecoboost project earlier this winter.

This is just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Different engine, different turbocharged application, different vehicle, but the content is similar in colder weather. It collected in this fashion after I let it sit for several hours, but when we opened up the cans, it looked like milky, latte-ish blow-by.

Cold weather usually yields more watery substance while warmer weather can yield more oily-based content. Gasoline is also slightly altered in the winter from the refinery, so that can change how it looks as well. I know the weather is starting to warm up, so you guys should start seeing a shift in what you catch.

-Diamaan
Yes, I've noticed this already; only catching roughly half of what I did in colder weather (it's not winter driven).
What I see when first dumping the cans vs how it settles is more or less what you're describing. (notice the colour before the can is emptied)

Thanks for chiming in Diamann!
Old 05-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #79
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Yes, I've noticed this already; only catching roughly half of what I did in colder weather (it's not winter driven).
What I see when first dumping the cans vs how it settles is more or less what you're describing. (notice the colour before the can is emptied)

Thanks for chiming in Diamann!
Anytime! Yep that's what we have seen too. The amount of content also changes. It just looks very different overall when comparing December content to June content for example.

-Diamaan
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #80
geoffchad

Drives: 2013 ATS M6, 95 Z28 Conv M6 turbo
Also running 0% vs 5% vs 10% Ethanol will have a difference as well, and the detergents and other additives in fuels will vary brand to brand - those additives will also change what ends up in the can slightly - so it's REALLY hard to compare empties on the can unless its the same miles driven in the same conditions (city vs highway) the same driving style in the same weather with the same fuel blend, additives, and ethanol content.
geoffchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #81
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffchad View Post
Also running 0% vs 5% vs 10% Ethanol will have a difference as well, and the detergents and other additives in fuels will vary brand to brand - those additives will also change what ends up in the can slightly - so it's REALLY hard to compare empties on the can unless its the same miles driven in the same conditions (city vs highway) the same driving style in the same weather with the same fuel blend, additives, and ethanol content.
Another awesome point! Man, where have you been?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #82
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Here's my dump from today... Not sure how many miles since last dump. 1000, maybe 1500...

Looks like mostly fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #83
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
At least we know they're catching crap.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #84
Captslow

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS I4T
Mine so far has caught very little I only need to change every 3k miles. Now it is summer heat here and not sure if it matters I only run 93 from shell. But when I change it I have a very little amount. I'll take it as a good thing lol.
Captslow is offline   Reply With Quote